Shed Kit Greenhouse?

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Has anyone used one of those barn-shaped storage buildings as a greenhouse? There hare hardware kits that when combined with local lumber would allow me to frame an 8 x 14 greenhouse (9' roof height) for under $400. I didn't price the lumber, but the kits can go up to 10 x 22 (11' roof) The benefit, I'm thinking, is that with the 2x4 lumber frame, I have a space to easily attach a double layer of greenhouse plastic. I could even put an outside layer of polycarbonate sheeting for more permanence (but more cost). The inside of the frame would give me an almost 4-inch dead space for insulating air. Also, the end frames would be easier to fasten windows/vents or fans. The kit instructions includes the floor, so all I have to do is provide a level spot

The image below is copied from the kit instructions. Visualize bigger, and with plastic walls rather than siding. Another advantage to the wood framing is that it would be easy to hang shelves from the walls. Something that isn't easy with cattle-panel walls. Would also be no-brainer to hang gutters for rain-water collection...could also hang extra rows of gutter for outside growing space for herbs, beans, lettuces, or some other small vegetables.

Thoughts?

David

Thumbnail by dreaves
Irving, TX

I was wondering the same thing the other day. I have seen them at Home Depot and Lowes and was imagining them as greenhouses.

Cadiz, KY(Zone 6b)

I think that it would make a great greenhouse, both appearance and function. I just completed a 2x4 wood frame greenhouse but I did not use the hardware kit. The hardware would save a lot of construction time but I always do things the hard way. I used storm windows that I salvaged 25 years ago for this purpose. Finally getting around to using them. My greenhouse is 12x15 feet. Hope to get some veggies growing in there soon.

Thumbnail by WayneKY
Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

That is a great use of the windows. I wonder if second-hand windows from somewhere like the Habitat for Humanity "Re-Store" would be expensive. It would be nice to have the ventilation. I could never be as patient as you were, though.

David

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I think somewhere there were folks posting pictures of sheds that were covered in greenhouse insulated plastic. I will see if I can find it.

I think the shed idea is a great idea and have thought about it for some time.
One reason isI like the shed idea I don't want a north wall. I can't see any benefit to me living in zone 5 for a north wall at all, in fact the north roof could be insulated as well. I have a passive solar gain house with total glass on the south side with a normal roof and the overhang keeps out summer sun, plus the fact the sun moves up in the sky. Seems more logical to me to replicate that idea.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I agree, I have permanently insulated the north wall of my GH with insulating board, and I can use that side down low where light really doesn't shine for storage of things that aren't pretty to look at.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.