chipping my way into the GH

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

The sun finally came out today, so I couldn't resist spending time in the GH. It was a lovely 85 degrees inside vs a nasty 15 outside. Isn't sun amazing? The backyard is a solid sheet of 4 inches of ice, but lumpy from the kiddos playing on it. I had to chip away ice by the door just to get in. Many of my tenders lost all their leaves, but I can see small new growth. The coleus are gone, it was just too cold this winter, even with heat. The geraniums are blooming like crazy, a nice surprise.

I'll be starting some seeds inside next week, hopefully the bitter cold is finished so they can move to the GH in March.

Come on Spring!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL cathy, Our GH didn't get up last fall so we will be putting it up this spring. It is beautiful here today much warmer and less windy. What a great day to go outside and work. I commented to Ric that I wish we had the materials for the foundation as we could go out and work on it. He commented that we could dig our way thru the several inches of snow and then we could dig up the frozen ground.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Our weather is heading your way, you should have nice soggy mud soon. You could always go buy the materials now, that would give you lots to do for a few days.

What kind of GH are you building? Mine is just 8x8' but I love it!

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

I had to take out a bucket warm water w/ me every time I went out to mine a couple weeks ago to get my door to open. It was well worth it though since the outside was under zero and inside was in the 60's w/ very little extra help from the heater. The problem was the night temps, I am not looking forward to that bill! :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ours is a 10 X 12 Harbor Freight aluminum with poly sides still in the box. We got a great deal on one last fall but just couldn't get it up. It will probably only be used in the spring. I don't expect to heat this one all winter. We have been planing to put up a second GH later. A lean-to against the side of the house as a Conservatory but it keeps getting pushed back by one thing or another. That one will be a much bigger project.

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

I hope you get it up soon! Good luck. I have to wait until we move next year to get a lean-to. I am going to make sure it's sides are windows and the roof is going to be 8mm polycarb panels. I don't want to move, but for a better and attached gh it will be worth it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.