Palmetto State Park, Gonzales County, TX

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Our garden club has a speaker coming in October to talk about palms. He has asked if anyone knows who to contact for permission to gather seeds of the Sabal minor in the state park. Apparently, October is the best time to gather them.
Can anyone help us with this? 'Just need a contact point.

noonamah, Australia

I did a Google search and came up with this in the regulations:

Plant life. It is an offense for any person to willfully mutilate, injure, destroy, pick, cut, remove, or introduce any plant life except by permit issued by the director.

So you'll need to apply to the Director, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.
They give their phone number as:
Toll Free: (800) 792-1112, Austin: (512) 389-4800

Email address for the Park is:
palmetto.park@tpwd.state.tx.us

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow, I got an answer from Australia!!!!

I did call the state park when I didn't get a response right away on this thread. The park manager was in his truck and trying to find the phone number for the director while he was driving. He assured me that our speaker would have to have a permit...and that it was a lengthy process to get one....even though he is the palm biologist with the Montgomery Botanical Center in Miami. I guess it's good that we asked early. Apparently, October is the best time of the year to gather the Sabal minor seeds in Palmetto State Park.

Thanks again...I appreciate your response.
Sandi

noonamah, Australia

No worries, I know what it's like having to wade through a lot of red tape for these kinds of things. Good luck with it.

noonamah, Australia

Coincidence! I was looking around my garden this weekend and I've got a couple of Sabal minor seeding at the moment. Some seeds are ripe already, but most are still green. So you can collect some here if you like, you won't have to pay for a permit. LOL.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

As much as I appreciate your thoughtfulness and generosity.....I've seen those crocodiles in Nat'l Geographic that live in Australia. I grew up with alligators in the Deep South here, but I never saw one close up. I want to keep it that way!

I enjoy all your photo postings of your tropical paradise!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.