What's this?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Ok CA buddies, what is this little beauty...Donna gave it to me but I've lost the tag and want to get more.
Thank you!

Thumbnail by weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Oh and does it spread well enough to use as a ground cover? Any info is appreciated.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

weegy, is the Donna you are talking about also SoCal?
Maybe she shared with someone else too?
Sadly, I didn't get that one from her but it does look familiar. I can't remember it's name, either. Drat! Maybe she has it on one of her posts? Maybe someone else knows?
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. : - (
Looks like it should spread given the proper conditions.
WIB,
SW

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Perhaps it's a hardy geranium, similar to this one? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72854/

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

I think sunnyg is correct that it's a hardy geranium. I have a hardy geranium and it looks similar to yours. It's sure not very hardy though.

But mine has been in the same spot for four years and it gets bushy every year but has never shown any inclination to spread. hmmm HTH

Heather

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thank you guys! I was hoping it would spread and stay low. Any other ideas? We had Korean grass in this area but my dogs ruined it and it chokes out other plants that are there. Just want something that stays low and spreads.
Thanks again, I can always count on you all!

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

I love, love, love ajuga. Low, spreading and best of all PURPLE!!! I have a ton and if you're going to the spring RU at SW's place this year I will be happy to bring you some if you want/need. ^_^

Lamb's ear is another low grower (but not as low as ajuga). I have a bunch of that needing thinned too.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

What about some kind of Thymus praecox or something in that family?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Will look at all your suggestions...we just want to get the right ground cover this year, hopefully with purple flowers.
Thanks everyone! (Hi Marie!)

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Well both ajuga and lambs ear have purple flowers. That's why I got them. ^_^

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thank you Heather! We decided on thyme, it looks like it's going to behave exactly the way we want it to. I appreciate your offer though. If the offer still stands, I will take a little of each from you??!??!
I bought 6 flats of thyme today so as soon as we set up the watering, we'll plant. I'll post a before and after shot!
Thanks again my good buddies!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I have Australian Violet and it is a great ground cover. It loves the Las Vegas sun. It did get nipped by the freeze but it will come back.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Sorry, I think that is just a viola. I will try again for the Australian Violet.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well that is dichondra and lobilia. Sorry. I will try to find it and send later. Sharon.

San Francisco, CA(Zone 10a)

weegy... It's a Geranium... not the Pelargonium we usuall call 'Geranium'.

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Weegy12 I have thyme along my garden path and it's beautiful! My son's call it the 'Path of Thyme'. ^_^

But I will bring both lamb's ear and ajuga to the RU for you.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thank you Heather. I like that...'path of thyme' I'll call mine... 'a bunch of thyme!'

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I cannot wait to see it finished!!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks everyone! Marie, I'm sure you'll see it soon.
So much for the before shots...we've got it in but haven't gotten a picture of it yet...busy, busy week. Our youngest is getting married next weekend, son moving this weekend, like I said busy right now.
I appreciate everyone's input.
Hugs to all!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.