Asian stink bugs continued

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1130564/

Here's an article that discusses some promising developements in stink bug control and research:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/grow-it/brown-marmorated-stink-bugs-zb0z11zple.aspx

Thumbnail by coleup
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Coleup, I am still plagued by them and not looking forward to next summers infestation.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

They're like vitamins- I have one a day.
}8 ^(
That cardboard trap idea sounds good.
I just heard about Spinosad and will be trying that in the garden.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally---You are always SOOOOO funny!!!!! Like a Vitamin????

So far--lucky me!---I have only seen a few of them last summer in my garden. Mostly
on some plants.....None in the house--knock on wood....better shut my mouth!

Wonder what next summer's "plague" will be??????
Raining cats and dogs? I don't want any pets!!!!

G.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally, what is Spinosad? Sorry for your daily dose lol.

Holly, I was really on patrol for them all last summer and eliminating all I could find throughout season. Like that the article above gives me some more clues to plants they like and habits, etc. I'm allergic to the smell... It's enough to keep them out of doors and really feel for those who defend fruit and field and of course our food supply. Wonder what the conference in Sheppardstown will bring to light this week? Hopefully we can get some kind of report. from the conference Doc so kindly posted in our events thread.

Speaking of that thread, if you put some soapy water in the tank of a wet/dry vac the SBs will drown but other wise they can and will crawl out. Best to kill them before sending to the land fill where they may live to see another day.

On that same note, they can survive at least 4 days of freezing temps as they make their own antifreeze...

Yes Gita, who knows what this summer will bring?

Spinosad is a new insecticide developed from soil organisms- or something vaguely like that. Haven't read it myself but got the tip from another thread, for use against leaf miners. I don't know if its effective for stink bugs. I bought it in 'Captain Jack's Dead Bug" spray at AA Farmers Co op. Glen Burnie

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Weather permitting, greenthumb and I plan to go to WV to the talk this week. They got in our vehicles, in the house, just everywhere. I found a few crawling around slowly this week and put them out in the snow. Didn't realize they make their own antifreeze. I'm sure we'll learn some good stuff this week and will report back.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I am so glad you all are attending this

Posted by Greenthumb:
I realize that this is not particularly convenient in time or location for most (myself included), but The Potomac Valley Audubon Society and the (US Fish & Wildlife) National Conservation Training Center are co-sponsoring a presentation about the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug at 7:00 PM the evening of Wednesday, February 9.

"Admission is free and anyone is welcome to attend.

The presenter will be Dr. Tracy Leskey, entomologist at the U.S. Department of
Agriculture's Appalachian Fruit Research Station in Kearneysville.

Dr. Leskey and her colleagues at the Research Station are in the forefront of
research into the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, and she co-chairs a special USDA
working group that is trying to find ways to respond to the problems the insect
poses."

The HCTC is about 5 miles outside of Sheperdstown, WV

See http://training.fws.gov/meet/gettinghere.html for directions.

Really looking forward to your reports.

Crozet, VA

Gosh youse guys....I have been missing all the talk on these boogers. We have them in Central Virginia too. I am finding at least one to two a day. John and I have just completed a two or three week long process of cleaning and organizing our storage building. Some of you have heard me complaining of having mice. I didn't mention the gazillions of stink bugs we encountered. Yep, they must make their own antifreeze, because we thought we would be finding frozen and dead stink bugs, but nooooo, those suckers were all alive and well.

I began by picking them up with a tissue and throwing out the back door. Some of the boxes I had to go through had a dozen or so of them and I had to come up with another way to dispose of them than opening a back door every few minutes. I began flushing them. I got stunk up a time or two also. I now read and should have figured beforehand that the ones I took time to pick up with tissues and throw outside, most likely made it back inside of the warm house before sundown. AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGG

So, I read the report that greenthumb wrote of the seminar attended. I have the same comment as most of the seminar attendees....it is worse than I thought.

Ruby

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Here's the link to Greenthumbs excellent report
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1158044/

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

We had hundreds of them in church, and of course the ceilings and stained glass windows are so high that one cannot possibly reach all of them, even with multiple pool cleaning poles duck taped together as an extension rod on the vacuum cleaner. Sometimes they still fly through the air and land on people during the Scripture readings, and of course then there is much distraction in the pews as everyone tries to get out of their way.

Our kitty went after one at home, managed to knock it to the floor, sniffed it, and shook her paws like she was too disgusted for words

Suddenly the lady bugs parading on the sun-warmed windows don't seem nearly so bad.

Crozet, VA

I hear you Pam. They are awful here. Last September the local newspapers were all running articles on these things. I have learned to hate them with a passion.

Ruby

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

As our weather warms up the BMSBs that sought shelter in our homes, buildings and churches will begin to stir and make forays outside looking for food and places to breed and lay eggs. Now is the best time to eliminate as many of the overwintering adults as possible before they breed.

If the numbers I've read are correct, each "annoying" stink bug eliminated now means up to 64 MILLION less this fall. (400 eggs x 2 - 3 generations or more each season.)

ALL HANDS ON DECK!!!

As we move out into our gardens and outdoor environs let's be prepared to deal with any SBs we encounter, between pots, under tarps, and have a container of soapy water with us when we do..

http://www.coldclimategardening.com/brown-marmorated-stink-bug-compiled-wisdom/controlling-stink-bugs/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have found a lot of them in between my stacked pots last year. I brought in a stack of them to start seedlings in and had them everywhere. I am much more careful before bringing in things from the garage now.

I have to feel for the truly squeamish who are freaking out with every bug whereas I m only bothered that I have to catch 2-3 a day (for now) and flush them.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sally, thanks for stepping up and ridding our county of the potential of 128 MILLON or more BMSB per day! I'm sure our local farmers and gardeners would thank you, too.

Stink bugs are strong fliers and can travel many miles on their own. They are not just hitch hikers. Storms and winds can carry them and if they are not happy where they are, they will keep moving!

Rutgers University Ag Extension Service has set up a nationwide monitering and tracking program. Any one who finds a BMSB is asked to send one to them for DNA analysis and study . Here is a link to their site

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/stinkbug/

We can be some eyes and ears for our scientists and be part of the solutions to the real damage being done to the world's food suppy here and in their native habitat in Asia.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Here is a link to sending in a sample to the Rutgers study.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/stinkbug/faq.asp#sending

One sample per location.

Crozet, VA

As I sit here with most windows open and my back door open completely, I wonder how many of those suckers will find their way in or out today. It is supposed to be 70 degrees here today so I suspect many a sleepy bug will begin stirring today.

Thank you so much Judy for the links you provided us. I read the article about trying to prevent them from taking over the house. I will speak with John later and see if he wants to purchase something to spray or sprinkle around. I wasn't aware of any products until now that helped with them. That at least gives me a bit of hope.

I am so sick of these things. I kind of liked the idea that the gentleman from NJ has offered using the cardboard and wooden slats to form a trap for them. Gonna see about getting one or actually several of those built to place around in most highly infested areas.

There is one good thing at least about all of this. I am not alone in my misery. Keep the info coming, as far as I am concerned, the only good stink bug is a dead one.

Ruby

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Ruby, That is exactly what I was thinking as Ric was opening up the windows. It sure is beautiful outside.

Crozet, VA

Oh yeah, I may have to get my newly acquired bright blue cane and take a trip around the back yard at least. I suppose I have to get up from this machine first though. hahaha I have a list of inside chores but do think I will get out in the air for a bit. Actually all week has been and is supposed to be great this week. Bring it on!!! Think Spring!!!

Ruby

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Here's some news about a new product for trapping stink bugs outdoors. a stink bug trap

http://rescuebugblog.typepad.com/rescue_bugblog/2011/02/is-pittsburgh-the-epicenter-of-the-stink-bug-invasion.html

Any more increased activity with the warmer temps this week?

Remember to not close up and seal the entry points to your home until AFTER the SBs have left the premises in May/June.

Pam, sounds like you and your fellow worshippers have gone to extraordinary lengths to keep your services as peaceful as possible. What else has your congregation tried? Is the church heated all during the week or only on Sundays. We'll be glad to help in any way we can, or just commisserate. Darn irreverant bugs.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have been printing out a lot of these links on Stink Bugs.
Many of them already hang in the Insect Products bay at my HD.
I hung them there last summer.

Now--I want to ask my Mgr. or garden Supervisor IF I could actually put
up a cork board and attach all this information to it for all the customers
to read. Of course--it will be attached in some permanent way to this board....

Thank you all that have provided these links.....Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They were out if full force yesterday with the warmer temp. Our house was in the 80's yesterday with the warmer temps outside and the sun streaming in the house got really warm. We opened up the sliding doors and windows and really enjoyed the fresh air. Probably found a doz or so SB crawling on the screens and windows.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Another trap for indoors on nitely news last night!

http://www.stinkbugtrapsonline.com/

http://martinsburg.craigslist.org/grd/2208495758.html

STINK BUG TRAPS FOR SALE (Columbia, Pa) $50

2011-02-11T02:40:16-05:00
Hi folks my name is Andy.. I invented some stink bug traps that work very well in and around the home.. I also designed some with the farmers in mind and would like to hear from you about your infestation.. We will be looking to test several powerful field units in couple months.. I know everyone is all about chemicals and pesticides but so far they have proven not to be effective so maybe its time to try another approach .. See us at www.stinkbugtrapsonline.com Im a workohaulic and have extended hours so call anytime up to midnight :-) Thanks!! Andy (717) 449 - 3015

www.stinkbugtrapsonline.com
flyingtiger74590@aol.com

These traps combine two attractants, light and scent and trap with powerful glue.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I saw that on our local news Columbia isn't far from us.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Holly, maybe you and Ric could be one of the field test sites he is looking for... He seems to get that SBs are not just nuisance pests but like Greenthumbs report a serious threat to our food supply.. Let us know what you find out.

Crozet, VA

Such an interesting topic to me. Come on July 2011!!!

Didn't see as many of the suckers as I thought we might with the warm day yesterday. John has found two this morning already. Last night before going to bed I had the overhead light on above my kitchen sink. I have a small garden window full of plants directly in front of the sink. I saw two of the bugs clinging to plants and promptly disposed of them via the toilet.

Reading the reason why Andy Straub invented the sb trap has been a fear of mine since these bugs have come on the scene......biting in to one that has made it way to my dinner plate would most likely send me to psyche hospital for a short visit. I am very careful to keep food covered in the kitchen where we usually keep at least one light burning at all times and yes, light and warmth do attract them.

Last fall when they first began coming indoors my cleaning lady moved a large mirror on my dining room wall which is where a french door is located that we leave propped opened on nice days. Behind this mirror was over twenty bugs. Sickening for sure. I made sure she then went behind every frame on every wall to look for them. What a round up.

Anyway, thanks Judy for the links to the trap page. I will keep it in mind.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby

Since I never have any windows and doors open without a screen, maybe that is why
I have not seen any Stink Bugs in my house----keeping my fingers crossed.....

If they have come in via the siding or cracks in sills, around window frames and such--I do not know.

Haven't made a point yo look for any either.....Gita

My neighbor today told me he had a bunch in an umbrella that he stores next to his front foor, in an urn

.Its raining---bugs!, holy looyah!

Crozet, VA

Count yourself very lucky Gita. My older son lives about twenty miles from us and his area hasn't been hit yet. He was cleaning out his storage shed this weekend and found two. No fair!!!!! Anyway, I told him to be ready that by summer I am sure they have migrated the twenty miles and his area will probably be in the same shape our area has been in. Gita, screens on doors don't last very long here with all the pups who are in and out all day long. We gave up screening the back door which is the one we mainly keep open.

We live in the middle of a cow pasture. Whenever it is warm weather and the cows visit as low as we are, they bring along flies. I forget that I hate an annoying fly as much as I hate a stink bug. I was promised a new back door last year and didn't get it. Maybe we will go all out when finally purchasing it and getting a strong and dog proof hopefully screen along with it.

John has a question for those of you dealing with sb. Do you all freak out the way I do and yell there is a stupid stink bug again, hurry, hurry get him? hahaha I suppose I am quite funny but some things I am obsessive over and stink bug is one of them.

Ruby

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby--

I will be more vigilant come spring/summer.
Honestly--last season I saw a few on my Dtura blooms. That's it!

now--these Daturas are in my side bed right below my BR windows--a ways up.
They are in a shabby shape...rattle and all that.. Need caulking on the outside.
Too high for me to get to. Don't know that I would even try if they were lower.

Talking of windows--I hardly ever open mine as I have central a/c.
If it is a cool day--I may open to the screen in the storm door--
and maybe my one BR window. Can't really get to any others...

As to John's question: Do I freak out when I see a bug? NO! Not the "freak out" type...
May have a soapy water container nearby as I work in the yard this season....

Just HAVE TO clean out my cluttered shed this year. Who knows what i will find there?

Gita
Here is my chalet shed....My "X"'s creation

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Crozet, VA

You ex had good taste Gita.....I love the shed. Your plants sitting in front of it are beautiful too. I took pics of the outside and inside of my newly organized shed the other day. I posted them on a clean and clutter thread but will share them here also. Just a note, in front of the shed are the dump remains from John's tossing efforts. Two days after I snapped the picture, he sent the trash pile away. I also noticed in the picture that to the right of the shed there is a huge tree trunk and a stack of cinder blocks that he also moved after the pic was taken. He moved the trunk, cut it up for fire wood and used the cinder blocks to build number three compost bin in that spot. He has really been hard at it recently.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw
Crozet, VA

Inside.....

Thumbnail by rubyw
Crozet, VA

also inside......

Thumbnail by rubyw
Crozet, VA

another......

Thumbnail by rubyw
Crozet, VA

last one.....

Thumbnail by rubyw
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ruby--

Looks so nice and organized! Good job, John!

My shed may look neat--but it has very little verticak walls
to put shelves on. That's a big minus...
Besides--it is onlt 8'x12' in area. Stuffed full to the gills--
mostly with empty pots of all kinds..
The lawn chairs hang from the ceiling.
Lots of stuff in there--it is a miracle!

ruby--You and John did a GREAT Big job!!!!! It looks super. You should feel very satisfied!

Crozet, VA

Yep, feeling pretty good about it all. Really now we are down to the bookcases in the plant room needing my attention and the closet in the same room. Most of the action in there will have to wait a bit until the houseplants are on their summer home, the screen porch before moving around easily in there will be possible. Before the shed was cleaned and organized there was no place to put the extra contents of the plant room, but now they can safely be stored out there now that there is sufficient space.

I suppose that I have found the de-cluttering process to be a case of a step forward and two back at times. There have been days and even weeks when it looked upside down in here as we emptied and repacked areas.

You folks attending the seed swap this weekend have a great time. We hope to see you all when a plant swap is planned later on.

Ruby

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Just when the weather warms up and you think it's safe to finally clear out winter's air with a touch of spring , there is the stink bug. When I opened the sash in the bathroom and wen to raise the storm window to get that cross breeze action, I noticed two dead stink bugs belly up. I grabbed a bit of Charmin to quick flush them when I noticed a twitching leg in a shaft of sunlight spotlighting one of them...sure enough, almost over-wintered til I came along.!(And, where were they beforelast week's spotting? Anyhow, I now have 38 to do some tests with. Right now they are in a zip lock bag in my freezer for at least two weeks to see how many days of freezing temps are necessary to do them in...

News on Tv tonite about USDA research being conducted in Delawre with a wasp that is a natural predator in Asia, possibly available by 2013. In the mean time I will step up in my role as predator pro tem.

Here are links first one from Frederick!

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display.htm?StoryID=117111

http://thepacker.com/Q-A---Tracy-Leskey--USDA-ARS/Article.aspx?oid=1309637&fid=PACKER-OPINION&aid=117

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.