Pachypodium roundup

Decatur, GA

Baja,
I agree, my favorite is the P. namaquanum as well. I like its curly leaves. I had one that was growing well but made the mistake of watering it in the summer and it rotted. They go dormant in July and August and shouldn't be watered then, as well as Dec & Jan. So live and learn. Maybe I will pick up another sometime soon.
Helen

Arlington, TX

They are dormant in winter and summer Helen, how do you know when to water? Do you only water when its putting out leaves?
C

Decatur, GA

I use this source as guide for watering.
http://www.specks-exotica.com/en/genus/pachypodium/
There is a little calender with each listing. It isn't exactly the same as some other culture sources but it gave me the clue about why my P. namaquanum croaked in what I thought was the middle of the growing season.
Helen

Arlington, TX

Oh I see what you mean now. That's an odd growth pattern. I also noticed that brevicaule need some water all year round, wonder how tricky that gets. To water without causing rot might be a challange. I also like the min. temp. listings.
C

Decatur, GA

As you can tell from my pictures my pachys are in the sun half the day and as Baja pointed out they are in small pots for their size. The ones that call for watering in the winter I only splash a little on the soil and don't soak them and they never get water on a cloudy day. Maybe that helps.
Anyone experience with propagating pachys from cuttings? Particularily the P. brevecauli?
Helen

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

I mostly grow my plants in a rocky mix, which allows me to indulge in watering and helps prevent the rot thing from getting started.

This is my watering formula for Pachypodiums, which works in a mild Baja California climate. Plants with leaves get weekly water. Plants without leaves get water every 2-3 weeks depending on the size of the container. All watering is a drench (ie. until water freely exits the container). All watering is done at or before midday and only on a sunny day.

Obviously plants in Texas or Georgia are going to have very different needs, though!!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I love the Exotica web site, Helen. Thanks. I just wanted to mention that it says P. namaquanum should not be watered June and July as well as Dec. and Jan. It is kind of difficult to read the little chart they have, but it is wonderful info.
Has anyone ever ordered from this company that is in Germany? They seem to have wonderful plants. I'd like to have any of them.

Decatur, GA

Nancy,
I have been tempted to order from them but haven't yet. It seems a little risky. But I may try an order in the future. Let me know if you ever try.
Helen

Arlington, TX

How do customs work from Europe? Would you need a cert. of some kind? Perhaps we could combine an order to save on shipping etc?
Cheryl

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

According to their Terms and Conditions they do not export to the USA! I guess we don't have to worry about it then.

Arlington, TX

LOL no we don't. I have had this issue a few times. Finding a great online nursery and then finding its not in the US. Oh well.
C

Fort Wayne, IN

Baja, in the third picture of the p.rosutatum on the right side there is a plant that looks like the tephrocactus articulatus only its got a red color I suspect from the sun. Is that what it is and how olds is it? Thanks acts

That's a Monadenium ritchiei (flowering at the moment, too). I got it 2 years ago when it was about 4 inches tall.

Fort Wayne, IN

Thats funny..I was just looking at the Corona Cactus website and one of the plants I wrote down to purchase was the Monadenuim ritchei. Is there any special requirements I need to look for in the way of care?

I can't figure the plant out, or maybe they just grow really slow and that's it. In any case, it's quite lovely and the flowers have a bright red hue. I have not had any apparent problems with disease or bugs (and I've inspected the roots too).

I was warned not to (over)water the plant in winter, when it is supposedly dormant, otherwise the plant will rot. In this mild climate I think that advice is only relative. The plant is flowering right now, for example. So I'm watering it every 2 weeks. But where you are, that's not necessarily a good idea.

General cultural advice:

Give regular but infrequent water when in leaf and flower. Withhold water when plant is dormant. No more than half a day of sun, but good light will give good color on the plant. Rotate plant occasionally.

Fort Wayne, IN

Thanks Baja..it sounds like the care is somewhat like the tephrocactus, it has only had a misting since I recieved it back in November and it is looking real good. My husband tells me that I like weird looking plants, I call them fascinating with a smile. thanks acts

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.