10 inches of snow coming??? Are you ready?

Claremore, OK

What are you doing to get ready for this 10 inches or more of snow predicted for Tuesday?

I'm gonna try to add more water to my water gardens tomorrow. Maybe dump a bunch of mulch on top of my lotus containers and roses and keep my fingers crossed. Oh, and plant snow peas. LOL.

We had a horrible ice storm here in 07 and other snow storms from which I learned some things. The old non electric phones worked the others didn't. Charge the cell phones up. Do the laundry and vacuum before it hits. We have a good supply of dawg food, batteries, water, gasoline, birdseed, propane, kerosene (we have kerosene heaters which stink, but will keep you warm), stuff related to chainsaws, milk, eggs, bread and chocolate brownie mix.

I asked my husband if our roof would take 10 inches and he said yes. The outdoor tents will have to be cleared off. I learned that from having one cave in several years back. I have kitty litter, ice melt and a snow shovel.

I also love the 'Yaktrax' product that goes on the bottom of your shoes to prevent you from falling.

I think I'll get my sleds out.

So what are you all doing to get ready?

Thumbnail by darlindeb
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Well, aren't we an alarmist?! Haha! I go under the bed in the fetal position and close my eyes and ears!
Just kidding! I must say, I hope it doesn't, it doesn't snow much like that here anymore, but this is Winter. Really, its good to be ready for bad weather. In OK. that would be a bit of a surprise I bet to people that aren't following the forecasts. But here, and further North surely, big snow is a pain in the derriere but not really too bad, the cities' usually have the road treatment ready. Well, yesterday, I found my roommates galoshes, they are only one size too big, but they'll do!
I like to get out in the snow on the road. My friend here lets me drive her car and it gets around good in the snow, it's a Dodge Durango with four wheel drive.
I'm not a big fan of shoveling, but I'll get out and do that too. It is so much nicer to have shoveled walks and driveways, not to mention my popularity goes up!
I don't really like seeing the evergreen shrubs and other plants buried under snow.
I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be!
Will

Claremore, OK

I think the memory of the ice storm that left us without power for two weeks makes me more of a "worry wart" then normal.

Off to plant more snow peas.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

Oh, memories of icestorms! I can totally relate, seriously, they can be life crippling.
Some regions are going to get ice and freezing rain and other regions are getting
all the heavy snow. The power can go out, getting something to eat can be very difficult, no heat, no way to get on the road, trees down everywhere, (like on the road too). There can just be so much damage, it can literally be weeks until the worst for some people gets back to normal. The one that really comes to mind for me was the icestorm here (KCMO)
in Jan. - Feb. 02'. It happened Jan. 31st but early Feb. is what I think of, that was the month of the cleanup and the misery. This photo was my Grandmother's porch, it was shrouded in fallen tree branches. The next-door neighbor had a branch fall on his residential power line, (the one that goes into the house) and he was told those get fixed last. He couldn't stay there. It was I think only ten days until his power was restored, which wasn't long compared to some then. My power was only out for two days.
Oh, good times!
It is best to be prepared, but helping less fortunate people in need is more important.
I remember us and other neighbors would offer to put up total strangers who didn't have heat or anything.
Will

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 6:11 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Claremore, OK

Well, apparently I'm not the only "worry wart" in Claremore, OK.
Someone told me Wal*Mart just ran out of toilet paper.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

Oh, I worry too! They said on the news the Tulsa area could get 15" of snow!
I saw that storm system on the news, it is a monster. They said Indianapolis could get hit by a terrible icestorm. Eek, those are SOME icecicles!!

Claremore, OK

Well, it's still clear here. It's not suppose to hit till early am Tuesday.
I'll post photos provided the satelite link we have holds up.

I just took the dawg for a long walk. A tired dawg is a good dawg.

He likes to play hide and seek in the house, so that may be his only exercise for the next couple of days.

Shortleaf - took to heart what you said about giving others shelter.
I've got the spare bedrooms clean and ready to go just in case the
need arises.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I get like 20 inches of snow today every 2 to 3 inches per hour....I has to keep clean out of my french door or will be struck like icy...

Ju enjoy it but Rusty isn't happy about it!

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 8:22 AM

Its snowing out now. So far it's maybe an inch, but it's coming down!
Our first aide here has a Sister in Tulsa and they've talked on the phone already.
The Sister didn't go in to work because there is about a foot of snow there she said!

Yikes Rusty! That is some serious snow! I wonder if thats what we'll end up with?!
Rusty and Ju have longer legs from pictures I've seen. There is a miniature Dachschund next door, it won't be able to touch the ground when it comes out to use the bathroom! I am filling up the suet feeders soon again for the birds.

Thanks deb. We just offered, nobody accepted for us. I think most people have family people to go to. Don't let anyone take advantage of your kindness! Look forward to seeing photos if you can!

Danville, IN

Here in the metro Indy area, we've had about a half-inch of ice on everything and some sleet, but right now we're clear and waiting for the next round of ice. It'll probably be a lot worse, with power outages and lots of damage to trees. I would rather have a foot of snow than an inch of ice! Not looking forward to this afternoon. Have lots of firewood ready by our woodstove, made a big pot of chili this morning, and have the candles in place. Crossing my fingers, but the radar looks ominous.

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Yuk! Ice on everything.

We are lucky and missed getting the ice. Just snowing.

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

I live out in the country closest town Seminole,Okla. Right now with the sustained winds, the wind gusts and the falling snow I can't even see across the road. We had many hours of sleet last night with thunder and lightning, it looked like it had snowed before it had even began to snow.
I work at a Walmart 32 miles from my home, I didn't go in today. I worked twelve hours yesterday and when I left at 8pm we didn't have bread or many other items. We already had several bread shipments that day as well as buying pallets of water from multiple venders. We had already sold out of stuff we had just unloaded from the 4pm truck. Also sold nearly all our dog food. It was a WILD day. LOL
I hope we don't lose power as the line my house is on is one of the last lines fixed. I learned this in the Christmas eve blizzard of 2009.
I have two ponds right up at my house,the front pond is about 1 and 1/2 acres big. The weather is not bothering the ducks as they are swimming and diving for food. Silly ducks. lol

Claremore, OK

Okay, here are the cars from a couple of hours back.

It is still snowing. We have electricity and 50% on propane (insert the Halelujah chorus). I haven't heard if we broke the record of 12.9 inches or not. Cable TV went out, but "Techno Hubby the Wizard"
put a special antenna on the roof a while back so we have several channels from that.

I don't have to be any where till Friday.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Danville, IN

Wow! Here in Indy, we're getting sleet and a little freezing rain, but not damaging yet, and the electricity is still on. Supposed to get just a couple of inches of snow tomorrow. Hopefully, the sleet will replace the predicted freezing rain and we'll squeak through this one.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

About 2 feet of snow it looks like here in my yard. Can't see driveway, road or yard. My truck is broke down in Oak Grove right now and my dad's having trouble with his truck. The store closed at 3pm today which was a miracle. The store never closes but when my boss heard highways were being closed I think he kinda freaked. He lives in Concordia. lol. Drifts are major around here and on one of the roads my dad took today drifts were touching his mirrors.

Those of you with ice, I feel for you. I was without power for 9 days in 02 when we got hit. Our driveway and yard was covered in limbs.

Still snowing here also. News said that we have 12" of snow. Some drifting. Winds are suppose to pick up and cause large size drifts.

State of MO is talking about closing all of I-70

If you are out and about make sure you have an emergency kit in your car.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It now 2 foot and my van is all cover by snow...

Truck plow on street and dump my driveway over 3 and half foot! Geee! I just hate to shovel time by time but I gonna take my time for energy!

Ju is jumping to jumping and it very deep to Ju's shoulder!

I-44 is closed too....

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 5:27 PM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

I-70 closed and like Rusty said, I-44 closed as well.

I hate it when they do that. lol. It makes it hard to get out of the driveway. It's nice they plow though so can't complain too much.

Putting one of those old aerial antennas up there is a good idea. Yeah, that ice is a crippler, not envying anywhere theres an icestorm.
I bet Walmarts are crazy with people buying that kind of stuff, (if they're open..lol).
Ewww yuck, a broke down vehicle in this weather would be miserable.
Eek Rusty, that is some snow buildup there! It is in the process of doing that here now.
My friend keeps a blanket and other supplies in her car. My advice is, unless you have a 4 wheel drive don't get out unless you have to!
Will

I forgot to mention that 50 hwy is closed too. I heard that before I left work. But for some reason the news aren't mentioning it.

Yeah, my truck being broke down now is not good. It's the only 4WD we've got. I don't know if we will even be able to get to it tomorrow. I'm hoping my dad just calls a tow truck and have them bring it home for us.

Claremore, OK

It's offical we got 20 inches of snow in Claremore, OK. That is an all time record for one snow storm.

They activated the emergency response system on T.V. The message was basically to get the locations of those who were stranded on the highways and roads to emergency personnel.
Also, make sure they knew to keep the tailpipes clear of snow so the fumes would not back up into the auto and kill people

The news helicopters have been out spotting people who have been stuck overnight.

One flat roof building hasn't caved but kind of folded in creating a hole in it. I think more snow is predicted for Sunday -ARGH.
I don't think you could pay me enough money to work in a flat roofed building right now.

Thumbnail by darlindeb
Danville, IN

We dodged the bullet of the ice storm this time. We had more sleet than freezing rain, so the roads are bad, but overall, not much damage. We had enough freezing rain to bend branches and boughs, but not enough to do major damage other than bend trees over and break off twigs and small branches. All last night, the winds and warmer temps cracked off most of the coating of ice and saved lots of trees and power lines from snapping. Now it's getting cold again, but just a little snow.

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I did shovel on my driveway for 2 hours and young guy help me to clean on driveway curb for 20 minutes...

A piles of snow up to 4 feet! Wow!

As the news said "It's worst weather in 40 years in Missouri!"...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Claremore, OK

Anything you all would have done differently?

I would have taken all the trash and compost out before all this started. I'm gonna look into getting a treadmill. I have a gym membership and I miss the exercise. I think the dog could use the
exercise also. I'm gonna make list of the things I need to get accomplished. I should have done that before this weather started.

I have got some cleaning and sorting done. I've enjoyed watching the birds.

I don't know how long dogs can be out in this stuff. Do any of you know. I guess I could ask my vet.

Hubby started clearing the driveway with his van. We are in a rural area. He got up to the next road and part of it has seen no travel at all.

Thumbnail by darlindeb

I'm not sure what the temp is there so hard to tell you that way.

We started limiting the time our dog is out when the temps get below freezing. At 2 degrees like it was this morning she is out long enough to potty and then she heads back in on her own. She's got a double coat and usually likes the cold weather but not today.

You might check the ASPCA to see if they have recommendations.

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

I would have turned my truck around even though it would have faced the north, then I wouldn't have to worry about backing up.
I would have taken the heavy crowbar that I use to bust ice on my ponds, at least to the barn, if not closer to the pond instead of lugging the thing through all the snow drifts. Also I would make up buckets of cattle cubes and dog food to lessen the amount of time I had to be outdoors doing those chores.
Also and this is a big one I WOULDN'T FORGET WHAT I DID WITH MY THERMAL UNDERWEAR. LOL
I'm sure there is more I just haven't thought of it yet.

Claremore, OK

Hubby did giftwrap his van with a tarp and cords and had the chains on before this all started. I have one of those windshield covers with magnets that you can get through the 'Solutions' catalog. I haven't tried to remove it yet. The cover works great for frost in the morning also. I think it was less then $20. They also have one that is SUV sized.

The TV weather folks are saying this stuff will be around for a at least a week. Also, more snow is predicted for Sunday.

We covered our mirrors with Walmar sacks and covered the windshields with tarps. My dad's truck is a 2WD so he put chains on so that he could get around in the snow. Good thing he did since my truck broke down Tues and we had to use his. Mine is up and running again so now we are back to using it.

I would have definitely taken trash bin down to the road before the store hit. Now trash won't get picked up again til next week since no one would take it down to the road for me. I almost got frostbite on my hands last night and refused to go back outside once I got circulation going again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.