Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: 10 inches of snow coming??? Are you ready?, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: 10 inches of snow coming??? Are you ready?

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of 10 inches of snow coming??? Are you ready?
shortleaf wrote:
Oh, memories of icestorms! I can totally relate, seriously, they can be life crippling.
Some regions are going to get ice and freezing rain and other regions are getting
all the heavy snow. The power can go out, getting something to eat can be very difficult, no heat, no way to get on the road, trees down everywhere, (like on the road too). There can just be so much damage, it can literally be weeks until the worst for some people gets back to normal. The one that really comes to mind for me was the icestorm here (KCMO)
in Jan. - Feb. 02'. It happened Jan. 31st but early Feb. is what I think of, that was the month of the cleanup and the misery. This photo was my Grandmother's porch, it was shrouded in fallen tree branches. The next-door neighbor had a branch fall on his residential power line, (the one that goes into the house) and he was told those get fixed last. He couldn't stay there. It was I think only ten days until his power was restored, which wasn't long compared to some then. My power was only out for two days.
Oh, good times!
It is best to be prepared, but helping less fortunate people in need is more important.
I remember us and other neighbors would offer to put up total strangers who didn't have heat or anything.
Will

This message was edited Feb 1, 2011 6:11 PM