getting to know everyone

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

hey all. I was a member of davesgarden a couple years ago, and I remember a thread where people introduced themselves with pictures and names and a little about themselves. I had let my subscription run out, and am now getting active in davesgarden again. I do know some of you, but, a lot of you use each others real names. So I have no clue who is talking to whom ...lol. I think it would be really cool to start a discussion like that again. Ill be the first to start. My real name is Lisa. I live in Marks MS, about an hour and a half south of Memphis. I love animals, and of coarse gardening. I just recently quit working in factories to work from home. Ive really been enjoying getting to know all of you. Now if I only could keep track of who is who lol.

Thumbnail by lismil
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Hey, Lisa. Good to put a name with a face. I'm Elaine, and while I've met a few of the folks at the Nashville lawn and garden show, there are many I've not met. I'm in North Alabama, in the country just outside Huntsville. I retired 6 years ago from a Government engineering job but jumped back again as a contractor/consultant engineering support. Wasn't ready to hang up my calculator just yet I guess. Enjoy gardening too of course, and reading, grandkids, travel, and staying fit. Lots of other things too, depending on the time of year, lol!

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

nice to meet you Elaine. Beautiful tree!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Good Morning Lisa , My name is Cindy and I live in West Monroe, La. I am looking forward to the day we might meet in person. My hobbies are many by thought but few by action. I enjoy outdoors as long it is above my freezing point, 60 degrees. I love all flowers but I have more daylilies than any other. I am a mother of 2 and a grandmother of 5.

Ripley, MS

Where is your picture Cindy?

Lisa, I am Sandra--I live in North MS, about 90 miles from Memphis.
I have 2 daughters--2 step daughters, 7 grandkids.
I enjoy anything I can do in the sunshine, as long as there is a place to sit down once in a while. I am 57 years old today and have decided that I want to play more than work--lol !
I have lots of plants, but have built my last bed, so if something new comes in ---something old must go out !!! Of course that does not apply to annuals.
I also love shiny things like any old crow, and love to make jewelry out of crystals. I also added polymer clay to my bad habits last year and I really am having fun playing with that.

Thumbnail by slcdms
Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

Nice to meet you cindy and sandra!
Cindy....love your quote "hobbies are many by thought but few by action". I may have to steal that one haha.
Sandra.....Im gonna have to look up where Ripley is. Sounds like it couldnt be too far from me. Ive only lived in MS for about 6 years, so, if I havent been there, Ive never heard of it lol

Brighton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi Lisa, my name is Kristy, and I live north of Memphis in Brighton, TN. I was just out getting some exercise and looking over my gardens, what a beautiful day! I noticed my Hellebores were blooming, even the babies I planted several years ago. I enjoy any kind of hobby, I dabble in a little of everything.

Thumbnail by westtngal
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi Lisa, I'm Christine, or Crissy, whichever. I live in Malvern, AR, about 45 minutes south of Little Rock. I am originally from Modesto, CA and have been in AR since April 7, 2007. I have a husband named Dave, I say his name instead of typing DH, just easier for me for some reason, and no kids. We've been married almost 5 years, April 22, 2006 was our wedding date. I'm 38 years old and my hobby is gardening and I'm starting to get into some crafts. I have a huge yard and would love to fill it with beds but don't want to make it look funky, or junky, or make mowing difficult, so I'm still working on that one.

Can you believe I cannot find a picture of myself! Here's me on the right and my childhood friend Christina on the left.

Thumbnail by crissyr
Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

nice to meet you kristy and crissy...oh my...how confusing lol.
Kristy...Hellebores must be a nice change to the winter blahs! I wish I had some blooms to look at this time of year. Although, it has been pretty nice here the last few days. Im dreading the fact that its supposed to get cold again.
Crissy...were about the same age. I will be 38 in march. I know what you mean about your yard. I just moved to a new place last year, and Im not quite sure what I will do with the yard yet, but, would love to plant lots of flowers. Im more the type though, who will get a plant, and randomly place it, and keep doing that till it all comes together by chance lol

Oh awesome Lisa, I'll just turned 38 in November! That's about how things work for me, a while back my next door neighbor put up a fence and I put a garden in front of it. I have a bunch of open lawn space that I'm not too sure what to do with, but I may not do anything and just leave it lawn, even though the 'lawn' as I call it is weeds and don't walk out there without shoes on!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi Lisa! I'm Charlotte. I live in Little Rock, AR. I'm married and have 1 son and 1 step daughter and 3 grandsons and 1 granddaughter. I love all kinds of flowers. Kinda went crazy with brugs last year. I'm about to run out of room in my garden, so like Sandra I'm having to get picky about new things I bring in. I also make jewelry. Too many things I want to do and not enough time to do it all!!!

Thumbnail by cperdue

Love the pic Charlotte!!

Ripley, MS

I do too, that is a great picture of you !

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

I do too charlotte. It looks so fall decorative, and the dogs are georgous! (not that your not LOL)

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks! Those are my babies - Samantha is the big one and Charlie is the little one. They are both maltese. Charlie is a little bigger now but not much!

I love your dogs, they're adorable!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Hey everyone :) My name is Jennifer and I have been on Dave's for a few years now. This picure is from my anniversary trip to the Dominican Republic in May of last year.

Thumbnail by jlp222
Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

hey Jennifer. Cool pic! That cave looks awsome!

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Hello, ladies. My name is Kim. In case you cannot tell by my DG name, I am a duck mother! I rehab ducks. (mostly wood duck babies) I raise them, then release them and then cry! I am also an RN and give treatments for bladder cancer at a local urology clinic. I have been married my entire life...to the most wonderful man in the world!!! We do not have any children except for our gazillion ducks. I have been a member of DG for many years and have met the greatest people here...even if I have not ever seen them face to face, they are some of my dearest friends! I love almost all plants but my favs are EEs, ferns, coleus and hostas.

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

hello duckmother. Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. Releasing the ducks after spending time with them must be a painful thing to do. I know its whats best, but, wow, that would be hard. I admire your strength in doing that. Would love to see duck pictures!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Lisa, hang on...Kim will post plenty of duck pics, lol!! You should read some of her stories of the ducks (eggs, nests, etc) she has saved. Amazing!!

OH MY! Someone wants to see pix! Well...lets see what we have ;o)

This is Dudley Do-Right...he is a Canada Goose. He is one day old in this photo. He is now grown with his own family.

Thumbnail by duckmother

This is Eliza Ducklittle...she is a Wood Duck. She is only one day old in this photo and we are taking a nap...and got caught doing so ;o) She is grown and has her own family. Her mate is named Prof. Henry Higgins. Both names come from the movie "My Fair Lady," except in the movie Eliza's name was Doolittle.

Thumbnail by duckmother

This is Faith, Hope and Love. We got them on September 11, 2002 and thought these were the perfect names. In this picture, they are grown and patiently awaiting me to hand them a worm ;o) All three have gone to ducky heaven, however, they lived until they were 8 years old...which is pretty good.

Thumbnail by duckmother

This is our daughter! Her name is Khaki Quackie. A young man bought her for his college dorm (what was he thinking?!) and could not keep her. He was going to let her go at the lake but she would not leave his side. One of our neighbors happened to be there and brought him to our house. I was love at first sight!!! Khaki Campbell ducks (are a domestic breed) lay eggs similar to chickens (year round) and may lay 365 eggs/year for up to 7 years. Plus, they have a life span of up to 20 years! Khaki did not really ever lay any eggs and when she finally did (after 1 year,) the egg got stuck and she tried to lay another one and she became septic. When a duck gets sick to the point you know something is wrong, it is usually too late to help. She died that night. Yes, I am crying while I type this...I miss her so much...and it has been 5 years since she died! I would like to get another duck but just cannot go through that heartache again, so I just raise and release wild ducks.

Thumbnail by duckmother

Okay, I could not leave with such a sad story. I will tell a funny one as the last one ;o) This is Dudley Do-Right. He loved his daddy very much! Hubby was out of town and Dudley kept going over to Jeff's house shoes and laying close to them. I finally put them close to his blanket, so he would stay put and take his nap. Waterfowl stretch their legs and droop their wings when they get hot...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Kim I have learned more about ducks just reading those few posts than I have learned in my lifetime. LOL!! What great stories, both sad and glad!

Hi Jennifer!

LOL I am so glad! I kinda like ducks...lol...and really enjoy teaching/talking about them!

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

awwww...what sweet pictures. Especially love the last one. Shows just how emotional all animals are. For anyone who thinks animals dont have feelings....just look at that pic!!!!!!!!!

Kim you can teach me whatever and whenever you want. I'm always willing to learn about wildlife. I can't stand people who say animals don't have feelings. Animals do have feelings and if they had the proper vocal cords they would talk to us in hooman language. I was talking about Tiga to a coworker who has never had a pet but is going to adopt a small dog tomorrow a few days ago and they said, "You just have to remember, she was just a cat." I wanted to say, "And you just have to remember that I bottle fed that cat almost 15 years ago and kept her with me ever since. You get that puppy and when it dies in 15 years you remember this conversation because I'm sure in your heart it will be just a dog." gggrrrrr people who haven't had pets just don't understand.

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

I think people sometimes forget that ALL animals have feelings. And seeing a goose loving on its humans shoe is just a reminder. I have seen proof of emotions in animals you wouldnt even imagine. I used to have a TON of lizards, some people even called me gecko lady...lol. All the books say that when it comes to mates, that there is no emotion there, but, I had an adult pair of iguannas (both over 5 ft long) and no one in the world can tell me this is correct. The male used to lay with his arm around her, and rub his head to her head. Was the sweetest thing Ive ever seen. The female ended up getting sick, and he was VERY protective of her. When she died, he went downhill. He was no longer the friendly iguanna he used to be, and never seemed happy. He got very moody. He was never the same after that.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

That's very sad :(

Yes, animals are quite loving/emotional/sensitive to others. We have gotten ducklings before that must have come from a large group and will die from the stress of no family. They will cheep and search for so long they just fall over from exhaustion. So, I can understand why your lizard went downhill after his mate was gone.

People have always said, "do not touch them and/or love on them because they will imprint and not leave!" What? How stupid do you think these animals are? All of our birds have thought that we are the ugliest ducks/geese ever or they think they will sprout arms and lose feathers at any moment ;o) However, they all realize they are waterfowl in a short time. So, when I get them, especially when there is only one, and put it on my chest, so it will hear a heartbeat. They usually calm down and go right to sleep! They will only think of us as Mom and Dad for a few short months. They will always recognize our voice, call, car, etc but they eventually will not return to shore to sit with us...as it should be...even if I want them to and cry the entire time I am calling. lol

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim your making me cry!

Sorry, Charlotte...I did not mean to make you cry...so...how about another "awww" picture...

This is Eliza after eating...as you can tell by the food that is still on her face and in her nares. lol

Thumbnail by duckmother
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That is an AWWWWWW picture! So sweet!

Marks, MS(Zone 7b)

awww...your pictures are great! And that duck looks sooooo sweet

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Kim you really should pull up Eliza's threads so Lisa could read them. We all lived vicariously with Kim and Eliza as she grew up and left home to meet her mate and have a family. We miss Kim's duck stories.

LOL @ Cindy. Hopefully, I will get some this year. Should be hatching in two months...if the temps warm.

I will try to find Eliza links...don't feel like you have to read them Lisa. However, I must say, we had some scary, funny but all wonderful times with her!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I am certainly late in finding this thread but I guess it's not too late to introduce myself.
I am Marilyn--the oldest of this group. I won't reveal my age, although my son is your age, Lisa, and my daughter is a year or so younger than Kathy Ann-so figure it out for yourself! LOL

I am grandmother to 4 biological grandchildren and 10 step-grandchildren plus a bunch of others that I claim as mine even though we are not related in any way. I have 3 "daughters" named Michelle, by the way! (long story --LOL)

Thumbnail by marsue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.