Anyone grow caudex/fat root ipomoea?

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Hello to all : )
Each winter I start some type of seed to chase away the no bloom blues. Just to see something growing.
I am now smitten with these type of plants. Here are 2 seedlings stared a month or so ago. Ipomoea Platensis.
I also have Ipomoea Macrorhiza just popping up. I hope they don't take forever to bloom.I am trying to collect as many of this type of Morning Glory as possible : ) Supposed to have thunder snow tonight..sheesh

Kim

Thumbnail by kimarj
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Kim - Nice little collection you have growing there! :-)

I just started growing some caudex type MGs in late 2010 and this year. Never grown them before. One was grown from seed, the other a caudex shared from a friend here.

This is my caudex vine which I have grown from seed which was started on Sept. 6th, 2010. This is an Ipomoea Albivenia. I've grown rather fond of it! These caudex types are so cool, don't you think?

This message was edited Jan 27, 2011 12:13 AM

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Here is a close-up of the caudex. This vine grew quite fast and I think it has the capability to be a monster vine! LOL!

This message was edited Jan 27, 2011 12:12 AM

The vines are grown under lights during the winter, so one side of the plant gets more light and looks better. Here is it's better side ... the leaves are huge. It is currently growing in a 32 oz. styrofoam cup. I am pretty impressed with the growth being in such a small container.

Here is a Ipomoea pandurata caudex that is just starting to grow some leaves. This caudex was shared with me from Debra (Joeswife). Jackie has a thread here showing beautiful photos of her blooms, so I am quite excited about this amazingly beautiful vine!

Debra - Thank you again for sharing this vine with me! I know I am going to love it as it grows and blooms! How old is this caudex? (On a side note... unfortunately, the brug cutting didn't make it. The trunk got mushy and it rotted. I tried cutting it to re-root it, but it didn't recover. Thanks for sharing anyway. Some plants are more fragile than others.)

Jackie shared a few of her pandy seeds with me and I plan to start one or two of them, too! I am wondering if Debra's species and Jackie's are one and the same species or a little bit different.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

The caudex type mg's are really nice Kim and Becky.
Debra was nice enough to share a platensis caudex with me too and I'm excited
about the chance to grow this one again. It's a beauty. Mine is resting now. Just giving it a drink once a month so it doesn't shrivel, so far so good.
Love your albivenia and the pandurata Becky.
Will be interesting to see any differences between Deb's pandy and mine

Oh my Becky I just love yours!They are lovely I like that they grow fast :) Not surprised that Debra
would grow them!patooie I saw one (a pic) with a huge gnarled and twisted caudex and I have been obsessed since.I have ordered several seeds of a few others and have been searching for more!On my way to look at the pandy...

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Kim your Ipomoea Platensis and Macrorhiza are both looking mighty fine!

Becky luv the leaves on your Ipomoea Albivenia. I just started seeds on the weekend.

Thanks Donna those are the Platensis....the Macrorhiza are just peeking thru the soil i need to check to see if the leaves are up yet!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Would all of you share the sites you bought your seeds from? Thanks - I want to try growing some, too.

KayJones - I usually get most of my seeds from trades. Rarely do I buy seeds. But when I do purchase seeds and am looking for Japanese Morning Glories, the best place I've found to buy some genuine Japanese Morning Glory seeds in the original unopened Japanese packets is from Onalee's: http://www.onalee.com/catalog.php/onaleeisrael/ct24355/Japanese_Morning_Glories

I highly recommend the mixed packets like:
http://www.onalee.com/catalog.php/onaleeisrael/dt66287/pd1741804/Japanese_Morning_Glory_Seeds_Giant_Flowered_Mix_Ipomoea_Nil
http://www.onalee.com/catalog.php/onaleeisrael/dt66287/pd1741809/Japanese_Morning_Glory_Seeds_Kikyouzaki_Mix_Platycodon__Picotee_Mix
http://www.onalee.com/catalog.php/onaleeisrael/dt66287/pd1741814/Japanese_Morning_Glory_Seeds_Shibori_Asagao_Large_Flowered_Mix_Japanese_Morning

They are a little pricey, but any I've grown were beautiful vines and had huge blooms except for the Picotee Mix which is naturally a smaller bloom. I think you get 10-12 seed per packet. If they are mixed seed packet, each seed could be a different cultivar.

PS - For the caudex plant seeds, you might have to do a google to find sources. They are offered off and on by different businesses.

Most of the members here get their seeds from annual trades. We do an annual MG seed swap in the late Fall every year. You are welcome to participate the end of this year if you have seeds to trade. :-)

This message was edited Feb 4, 2011 2:13 PM

I want to try the caudex-forming morninglories, and will keep my eye open for your fall seed swap. Thanks!

Bigfoot Ipomoea pandurata i got from georgiavines.com
The first ones I got from toptropicals and also summerhillseeds
And Taste but now I cannot find her website I still am waiting for some that
I ordered on ebay after searching caudex ipomoea seed : )

This message was edited Feb 4, 2011 4:16 PM

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Kay, your box has some caudex seeds in it.. they will pop up fast. I have some albevenia going, you will love them.

Becky, if I id' that caudex as a Pandurata, I apologise, it is an I. machoriza Pink Moon vine.

Kim, I love the caudex morning glorys, they trip my triggers.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

ok you al making me jealous with these caudix glories. i dont know what has made it in the greenhouse. aint had no money to heat it this winter. hope they will survive and come back.

We will say a prayer for your greenhouse plants.

Mesilla Park, NM

We got 9 degrees last night, ... everything froze here the last few days. We still do not have water in our home, our pipes froze also this past Tuesday. I wonder what is going on sometimes, NM says they didn't anticipate the Gas shortage here either. The Electricity has been on a rolling black out too.

Hello guys, I miss Spring and my seeds are sitting here waiting!!
A..

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

they just said more snow coming to the south next week. i have had enough white stuff now. I am in the warm south and getting snow. i want warm weather!!!!

A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water. ~Carl Reiner
Sending warm wished to all people and plants!!
Debra i saw one last year a the Phila Flower Show the caudex was HUGE!! Talk about triggers woooo!

http://taste.ecrater.com/p/5743408/fragrant-perennial-caudex-morning-glory
I like that these are fragrant! I think they bloom the first year...but not positive.

That is tasteelectric's new online store. She does get her hands on some unusual seeds/plants!

I got some Yellow Chinese Evening Glory seeds from her two years ago. It was a beautiful vine. The 3 freezes here in December fried it to the ground in it's container. But it seems to be trying to come back and is a fast grower. No blooms this year though because of being frozen down to the roots. :-( But it appears to be a perennial vine. Love those unknown species! :-)

I went to look at your Evening Glory ...beautiful!

Strange ^_^ how we where talking about the same person!

My I lind bloomed the first year, and the second year and now has buds again.. I bought my first i lind seeds from tastee.

Menasha, WI

Hello, I hope this being on older thread that I will get a response from someone. I'm very interested in succulent morning glories and would love any growing tips from anyone.cll

gosh, I have no clue why no one comes and helps ya out, but I still have mine all going.. which ones do u have, CLL?

Cactus Lover Lady, I don;t know much about the caudex types but I'm sure you will find lots of info in the sticky thread at the top of our mg forum. Check it out!! :-)

well mines bit the dust :( but will try again!

Clatskanie, OR(Zone 8a)

I have one to add too. It is I.mauritanica. Nice bloom and gets a caudex up to 40#, and is edible. The seeds come from Africa. I grew some last year and the seeds germinated quickly, and within 2 months, had a caudex the size of my little finger. Very suseptible to mites. Keep them away from mite hosts like epiphyllum that harbors the mites in their adventitious roots. The foliage is lovely and has maple like leaves. I have seen it available, along with other caudex types, in the seed list of SILVERHILL SEEDS.

Pics in order going right:
here is one that is growing from a seed I started a few months ago.. I have sent all the other plants like this one away to people, so this is my last one.
this is the I. Plantesis it is vining all over the room above it now..
Here is the feet of the stictocardia that is everywhere twined with passion flower right now

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Deb, those are amazing, as are all your plants!

Good pics too Deb. Love the fat caudex on stictocardia.

Thanks, and Frank, I love the i. mauritanica, mine is growing downstairs in another room, it has cool leaves.

Menasha, WI

Thanks all, I love to see others who love these plants. I've also found seed at Summerhill Seeds. cll

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.