Online sources for greenhouse film?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm looking for greenhouse film. I found a (read: one, single, solitary) source for film, and the price doesn't sound bad, but does anyone have other sources I can compare against this one?

This one is ACF greenhouses: http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/plastic.shtml#film
Prices are $2.40/linear foot for 20' wide film and $2.88/linear foot for 24' wide film.

That doesn't sound too bad all things considered (I'm guesstimating it'd run me $40-$50 to cover my soon-to-be greenhouse with a single layer.)

But I have nothing to compare it against, so I'd feel more comfortable if I had some input from ya'll and/or some other sources to check out. Thanks!!!!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Vols...HPS sells it for $2.30 (20 ft wide) and $2.75 (24 ft wide). That is for the 4 yr/6 mil plastic (however, trust me, it lasts much longer than four yrs.) Their online site is www.hpsseed.com
*Hmmmm....the above info I read out of my catalog. When I just went to their site they have sections of plastic and prices listed (as in 20X34, or 24 X 40, etc). Since you don't have the catalog you may need to call them for a special cut size if the precut sizes aren't made close enuff for your greenhouse. Their phone number is 1-800-322-7288 (I'd also have them send you a catalog...there are many seeds, supplies and such in there, I've dealt w/them for 6 yrs or so now.)

This message was edited Wednesday, Oct 10th 10:51 AM

Thanks, Shoe. I'm having trouble getting into their website. Is it just me (I've had some problems with my internet connection today....) or is it their site?

And I have another question about using PVC plus greenhouse film. I hear they don't like each other much, some sort of personality clash.

Seriously, is there something I should place between the pvc and the film? I was thinking of trying foam pipe wrap or something like that on the spots where they would come into contact...but I have no idea what PVC film won't react to. Help!

Mason, MI

Hi go_vols,
The supplier that we found our greenhouse film is:
BFG: Burton Flower & Garden
2485 Wilshire
Jenison, MI 49428
Phone#1-800-883-4234 or fax: 1-616-324-3752
We bought their "Super Dura 6M 24'x100' roll
for $168.00 last year. It was the best deal that we could find in our area. My husband figures that there's enough plastic there to cover our greenhouse 3 times!
We did cover the top of our metal hoops (at their "joint connection") with foam pipe-wrap insulation pieces.
You can get foam pipe wrap any hardware store.
So far, it has done a good job of keeping the plastic from rubbing (and possibly tearing) at those stress areas.
'Hope this helps,
Melissa/Oscarsdotter

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

That is an excellent price for that size Melissa!! And 6 mil to boot! I think vols should check it out! (and maybe I'll check it out also, for when I need to replace my stuff!) As for covering hoops and such (including pvc) I've not covered ours (metal) and many folks who come here with pve hoop-houses use the same stuff as us...I think you should be just fine. (any place where there is abrasion will tend to break down the plastic but I haven't seen evidence that pve will break it down faster than anything else.) As for accessing their site, Vols, I just tried it again, it worked for me. (are you typing in that extra "s"?)

Woohoo! Thanks, Melissa! I checked around and your source was the lowest price I could find. Shipping wasn't nearly as expensive as what I was dreading :) I just ordered a 20x100 foot roll for $158 + $15 s/h.

Shoe, the film/PVC - thing? One of the places I called told me that the 4-year UV film does have a reaction to PVC. The non-UV stuff (1 year warranty) doesn't do that.

Remedies recommended: Paint the PVC or wrap it in pipe foam insulation.

Still looking for ways to attach this stuff to the greenhouse. I can see where I can place a 1x something across the long walls of the greenhouse, and staple the plastic to one side, roll it over the top, bring it down and staple it to the other side. But what about the "gable ends" (front and back), plus the openings for the door? Who's got suggestions for how to best attach it?

(I'm beginning to think we should write an FAQ on building hobby greenhouses, so that others who go through this process don't have to "reinvent the wheel" each and every time!)

Mason, MI

Hi Terry,
I'm glad that you were able to get the greenhouse film
from BFG in MI. They're really nice folks.
As for attaching the plastic to your frame,
my husband built a little "wooden wall" around the
sides (framework) of our greenhouse,
so that he'd have someplace
to attach the plastic to and
that he could run electical wiring, etc. on the inside.
The gable ends of our "hoop house" are wooden,
with vent fans, windows, doors, etc. framed in.
We wrapped the greenhouse starting on one side,
(at the base) stretched the plastic over the hoops,
then attached on the other side.
On the gable ends, we overlapped the plastic a couple of inches, stapled it in place, then covered with some pieces of wood trim.
We were a little worried that maybe we would need help putting the plastic on the greenhouse because of the size (12' x 30') and our windy location, but we had a night (after supper) that was unusually calm, so Dan and I raced right out and managed just fine!
You'll love having a greenhouse, it's the best!
Melissa/Oscarsdotter :-)

I know ya'll are waiting with breathless anticipation on this, so I thought I'd let you know the film has arrived - woohoo!!! Pictures coming soon, I promise!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7b)

Well, I was blessed to find these windows for free on Freecycle in my town which I started 5 years ago, now I am reaping the benefits. 3 members to 1,000. I also got some shutters today. I would love to see pictures of what others have done with old windows. By the way these are a little over 3 by 3 and I got 17 of them, doublepaned.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2009 6:21 PM

This message was edited Sep 6, 2009 6:21 PM

Thumbnail by curvesarein
Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

I sure see a lot of cold frame construction if they were mine.... : ~ )

Janet

Mebane, NC(Zone 7b)

curvesarein, Have you ever seen the movie 'Beastly"? He builds a greenhouse on top of his penthouse made out of windows. That is what I would do cause it was the coolest greenhouse in the world! :) You can see part of the inside on the included pic

Thumbnail by prosdokaobasile
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thought I would add, this is where I purchased the plastic I used on the plant shelter.
http://www.growersupply.com/4yeargreenpl.html

I did buy the UV rated plastic because regular plastic deteriorates too quickly in this climate.
I had recovered in regular plastic twice before biting the UV plastic bullet.

I used a metal and cattle panel framework so didn't have a PVC issue with it.

Looking forward to photos.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.