Whopper - heading towards independence at a leisurely pace.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

My gosh...only 8 weeks before they will start reconstructing the nest???? Where does the time go?!!!!

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Look at that lovely girl! Very nice shots...

PERTH, Australia

I must apologise for not responding to your posts, Pelle, Kim, Kim and nanny. Remiss of me. Thank you.

Madame X sent me the following information on the 17th. "Big Hook and Dad were on one of the nest branches together then with the usual amount of noise, Whopper flew past a few times carrying a fish. I went out to investigate and realised there were two others following her. The adults watched this performance for a while and then Dad took off toward the following birds and Whopper landed on the underbranch of the nest. Such a good Dad!"

I haven't seen who I'd swear is Whopper for a few days. Big Hook was on the pole branch when I went yesterday. If she is definitely sighted again, I'll post an update. It will be interesting to see just how long she stays around. She'll be eight months old in another week.

Here's Big Hook

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

This is what she thinks of me and my camera. I did a bit of cloning to remove an anatomical feature that may have upset some viewers. LOL

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

She's beautiful Margaret! Wonderful pics!

PERTH, Australia

She is gorgeous, isn't she, Pelle? And hopefully, within the next few weeks, the cycle will start all over again.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Margaret for the update on the Ospreys family. Great pictures of Big Hooks, and hers are really big! LOL on your comment on the last pix and the sensor. Please send Madame X our (viewers/readers) gratitude on her observation on the family too. So breeding season will begin all over within the weeks? How exciting.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

My gosh....time is just flying by any more!

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Wonderful photos, Mags! When Big Hook came onto the scene, I was not certain that I would care about her as much as Old Ma...I was wrong. She is so majestic and a great mate and Mother. I wonder if the other two hawks were boys trying to show off for Whopper? No, Daddy likes to see boys ogle their their daughter! LOL

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Great pictures Margaret. I'm glad Whopper is doing well on her own. Big Hook is just gorgeous.

PERTH, Australia

Lily_love, the season may be beginning sooner than we thought. I certainly will pass on your thanks, but Madame X watches the thread herself, too.

Time sure does fly, Nanny. I can't believe I'm about to be watching my 4th season.

Kim, I know what you mean about caring for Big Hook as much as we all did for Old Ma Osprey. But things have been much more normal with Big Hook at the nest.

Thanks, duc. I have no doubt that Whopper will be fine out there on her own.

Well, when I was at the nest about 3 days ago, Big Hook was rearranging sticks, albeit in a very casual manner. Here's a very poor photo of her doing so. I've just received a call from Madame X to say that sticks are being brought to the nest. Both Dad and Big Hook spend almost all morning at the nest and yesterday she saw Dad snuggling down on the nest as if to gauge what needs to be done in preparation. It's not winter for another 3 days, so they are starting really early. I'll head off there this afternoon and will start a new thread if there's anything worth reporting.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

This is who I'm assuming to be Whopper from three days ago. She was flying up and down above the nest and Big Hook was watching her and just every so often she'd give a gentle call. Whopper gave a good shake of her tail feathers before flying off to the far side of the bay. I went kayaking the day before yesterday and she was in a tree close to the river with a live fish. She will be 8 months old on the 2nd or 3rd June. I can't imagine we'll see her for much longer, now that the adults are preparing for a new season.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

It great to hear that, we may be seeing another round, at the Osprey's nest.
Wonder what this new chapter will reveal. It should be very interesting, if I compare it with the others.

PERTH, Australia

Each has had its own dramas, hasn't it, Burn. Let's hope for a successful multiple hatching this year.

I went to the nest yesterday, but apart from seeing Big Hook flying just above the bay, there was no action. I sounds like it's all happening in the mornings at the moment.

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Wow! Thanks for the update Margaret. Fall housecleaning the nest, preparing for a new family! Wonderful, love it.

South Hamilton, MA

I hope that the nest is more secure this year

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Margaret... your Ospreys don't migrate out for the winter?

PERTH, Australia

I'm glad you've enjoyed it, GG.

I sure hope so, IrisMA. The tragedy of the chick being accidentally booted out of the nest cup may not have happened if it had been a bit deeper.

Our Ospreys have no need to migrate, Wild Rose. The winters are very mild and there's a year-round supply of fish available.

I haven't been to the nest for a few days, but Madame X saw all three birds in the trees outside her place about 4 or 5 days ago.

PERTH, Australia

Whopper is still around, eight and a half months on. Here's a shot of her from about three days ago - very difficult lighting conditions at the moment because the sun is so far north. I took this from waaaay down on the embankment.

We are just over two weeks into winter and the action is well and truly underway at the nest. I've started a thread for the new season and here's the link. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1190091/

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 9:40 PM

Thumbnail by MargaretK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.