Whopper - heading towards independence at a leisurely pace.

PERTH, Australia

Whopper, the single surviving osprey from three hatchlings is now three months and three weeks old. She is presumably learning to fish, although apart from the dried remains of a blowfish in the nest, has not been observed to arrive with her own catch and is still being brought fish by her mother, Big Hook. Dad seems to have distanced himself from the routine of bringing food for the kid and has been sighted only rarely over the past few weeks.

Yesterday, I went to the nest for the first time in over a week. Whopper was on the nest, periodically calling for food. It's funny how they can be squawking for food and then almost instantly start dozing, then wake up and immediately start calling again. Here are a few shots I'd like to share. I had to clone a branch sticking out from the top of her head.

The previous thread is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1144786/

The first thread for this season is way back here in August: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1109408/

PERTH, Australia

Well, I seem to have experienced 2nd Cousin Dave's problem with the photo not loading. It was there in the preview, but didn't show up when I posted, so here's a shot of Whopper dozing yesterday afternoon.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Gazing at nothing in particular.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

She flew up onto the branch and continued calling.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

She returned to the nest and her calling suddenly became more frantic, a sure indication that a delivery was imminent.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Big Hook arrived with a live fish, which Whopper eagerly took from her.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

The young bird immediately started "mantling" over the food as Big Hook leaves. Shortly after this, Whopper took her catch to somewhere down in the trees where I could no longer see her.

That's it for now.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Wow! Just look at little Whopper! I am certain you can, but I cannot tell her apart from an adult! I think she was looking at you and wondering where you had been ;o) Great pictures...like always!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

So lovely Margaret, love the snoozing shot, with the eye lids,

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Just out of this world! Mother and babe. Wow!

Sandusky, OH

Nice!!! 500mm...looks great!

PERTH, Australia

Thanks. I like the snoozing shot as well. It was good to get to the nest again.

Burd, I had the 1.4 converter on the lens. It was a really dull day and I had the ISO at 640 then 1000. It'll be interesting to see what the 2x converter does.

Another shot from yesterday.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

Great shots Margaret! She is looking fabulous!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Wonderful!!

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Love the snoozing shot. All are wonderful, as usual.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

She is just beautiful!

PERTH, Australia

Thanks you. they are gorgeous. My heart gasps when I see them flying overhead.

I haven't been to the nest for a little over a week due to the heat. It's been hideously hot and humid. However, it was a bit nicer this afternoon so took myself there on the off chance someone would show up.

First off, Big Hook arrived at the nest with a headless fish. She had an occasional pick at it, but she had clearly brought it for Whopper and was looking towards the part of the bay that they've been hanging out in, calling repeatedly to her to come and get it.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Meanwhile, Whopper was having a great time flying up and down in the very strong wind. Big Hook continued to call, telling her kid to get herself out of the sky and come and have a meal.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Whopper was having too much fun playing in the sky and after 10 minutes, Big Hook flew off.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Half an hour later, Whopper arrived with a headless fish and seconds later, Big Hook joined her.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Big Hook wasn't after Whopper's fish, but Whopper was very defensive, starting to adopt the "mantling" pose.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

The pose became more pronounced. Big Hook was not the least interested in Whopper's fish and began to make moves to leave

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Madam X had seen Whopper with a fish that she had obviously caught. She (Whopper, not Madam X) landed with the fish caught by the tail and facing the wrong way. She (Whopper, not Madam X) had the devil of a time trying to reposition the fish so that if faced the right was. In the meantime, Big Hook had arrived on the branch next to Whopper and Whopper screamed at Big Hook, obviously concerned that her prize catch was going to taken from her.

This shot is still at the nest, with Big Hook fiddling with something prior to take off.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

"Go AWAY! It's mine!"

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Big Hook leaves as Whopper clutches the fish in her left foot.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Whopper was making one heck of a racket during this time.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

"And stay away"

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Marlton, NJ

LOL, So good to see Whopper fishing for herself as well as being served. Mom and Daughter look wonderful!
Lovely shots Margaret!

PERTH, Australia

Whopper takes her fish up onto the right hand branch, squealing all the way

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Thanks Pelle. It was so good to finally be able to get to the nest. I was in serious withdrawals.

Big Hook, stimulated by the strong wind, soared backwards and forwards (no photos, sorry). Whopper remained convinced that she was going to come and pinch her fish and continued to warn her off.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Still keeping an eye on Mum.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I usually just lurk but wanted to say great pictures.

Here is Florida the Osprays are starting to get together at the nest, have not hear any calls yes. We have nest all over the city, they love the phone towers

PERTH, Australia

I've cropped this one really heavily, hopefully to show the expression on this gorgeous birds face.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Hi, Wren. Good to see you and I'm glad you're enjoying the photos. How interesting that they're already returning from their winter sojourn.

Eventually, it got simply too much for Whopper, seeing Mum flying back and forward with an eye to her fish, so she left to return to the tree outside Madam X's place.

Thumbnail by MargaretK
PERTH, Australia

Last shot for tonight. Presuming Whopper was the first hatched, she will be four months old on the 2nd February.

Funny thing was, as I was leaving, I could see Whopper on the branch and then Big Hook came and joined her. It's a very noisy neighbourhood at times.

I hope to be back there again tomorrow afternoon. will keep you posted.

Thumbnail by MargaretK

They never leave the area, we have so much water around we have a huge number of nest. We even have Bald Eagles that nest near by

PERTH, Australia

That's wonderful, Wren. I guess, apart from the occasional, uncharacteristic cold snap, your birds have no need to leave.

True they can fish, in the river, ocean or all the ponds around.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful!!!

I see you've got PSE 8. I just upgraded from PSE 7 since I have Windows 7 on my new computer.

Hack

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

huh.....reminds me of me & my daughter and our screaming matches!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.