Zinna varieties for the PNW

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Last year at the seed exchange, several people agreed on which variety of zinnia was best around here. I am pouring through seed catalogs right now and would love to hear which variety that was or other recommendations. Thanks

Edited to say "oops misspelled zinnia in the header".:(

This message was edited Jan 21, 2011 6:00 PM

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

My eyes supplied the missing I. :)

I would like to know this too! I have seeds of the Lilliput small ones, but if there is some specific type that really does well here, that would be wonderful to know.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

It seems like every zinnia I've ever planted has done well here. And I usually direct sow outdoors in June. Last year, I did 'Purple Prince' (LOVED this one---big pink flowers, ordered from Burpee's), Benary's giants (did great, red yellow mix ordered from Territorial), and Tequila Lime (Burpees, I was disappointed with this one, was more of a yellow maize color than Lime green).

I still have some of those seeds leftover for this year. In addition will be adding Miss Willmott (Baker Creek), Lavendar Queen (Baker Creek), Zahara Starlight Rose (Territorial), Oklahoma Mix (Territorial).

I guess I do love the zinnias. My favorite flower for cutting bouquets, putting them in canning jars, and giving them to all of my friends in August and Sept.

I live in Salem if anyone wants to seed swap. I think I ordered over 100 seed packets this year. It's getting insane around here! ;-)

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

"Profusion" series of Zinnias is said to be the most rain-resistant. The orange ones are often available around in the nurseries, but they come in other colors. You can buy seeds.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, MMLS. I do believe that this is the variety that was recommended to me last year. Plan to try some, though my seed orders are all done. Know anywhere locally to get seeds?

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I got some seeds a few years ago from Thompson and Morgan, I don't recall if I noticed any in stores, just the plants, I think I got them at The Plant Farm in Arlington.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.