January Weather and it's still cold. Mostly.

(Zone 7a)

That last thread was getting long. We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1147130/

Join us! The more the merrier!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm first!!

It's finally sunny!! Only 17*, but at least it's sunny!

Pep LOL They do that here too, it's nuts! They want to be prepared just in case they're snowed in for 6 months! We would run out of things like milk and apple juice, probably eggs too.

Love the bookcase Bernie!

Oh Jo! I hope she's ok!!

Elena I went to read your post but my boss needs help with something so I'll have to read it later.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Celia, thanks for starting a new thread! Great skies!
Hey, Crissy! Hurray for the sun!
E_B, wow, love that picture with the sheep! They look so alike!
Sally, lovely zoom! You go girl!
Rusty, cute! I'll post some pics of my doggies later.

It's a very strong wind and getting colder. We're expecting snow tonight...grrr!

Adina

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

10* and cloudy now. We had sunshine this morning.

Rusty, we are to get snow today too and it is clouding up now. We had some nice sunshine this morning!

Elena, I'm already on the link.

Thank You Celia! Oooh, nice sky!! Except it looks like not so nice weather! I love the pine tree off centered :o)

Chrissy, yayyy! It's hard to get in first!
I have 3 1/2 cartons of eggs in my fridge and I'll bet Bernie has more.

Adina, hang on in that wind! Is everyone getting snow now? We had the wind yesterday.

I had to laugh. This is half of my Christmas present. DH's Saint is St. Francis. I liked the statue and wanted to get one. We found one and got it to represent both of us.

The funny part, as I was down on the floor getting it in the frame, the face recognition came on. I wasn't expecting that!

So this is St. Francis on Auto with no zoom or flash.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It getting so colder here down to 31 now and will be chance of flurries tonight...

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=MOZ088&warncounty=MOC097&firewxzone=MOZ088&local_place1=Joplin+MO&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

They say we might get snow (very light flurries) on Monday. This is the time of year we, if it does snow, get our first snow, not the third!
Oh, and I wrote yesterday that it was going to get down to 22 today. No such worries, it's only going to get down to 23! HA!
Thank goodness for propane in the greenhouse. My poor tropical hibiscus are pretty much devoid of leaves.
Barb

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Crissy, is Malvern anywhere near Mt View? We go there every fall with Melody and her hubby. That is also the area where my maternal grandmother's family hailed from.
billyporter, I hope you have a good time at TGP. As you can see, there are more forums there than Carter had Little Liver Pills. (We old folks are the only ones who will understand that.) There is something for everyone. You will notice several names of folks who write there and are also members here at DG. Check out our recipes and also our Humor forum. I have jokes characterized according to topics and it is easy to find some that interest you. Likewise for the recipes.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Still cold with our high in the mid 20s and flurries off and on all day.

Tomorrow night the snow moves in and will last all thru Sunday. Still calling for 6-7 inches.

Took truck to mechanic. It's been making a few noises and this morning was making some knocking sounds. Turns out it just needs a tool to adjust the pulleys. Had the tool at one point but threw it away along with a bunch other stuff when no one said anything about keeping them. lol.

Tried to download pics off my other camera and now it won't download. Grrrr... Must be a computer problem.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bernie I can see why she loved it!
Wonderful work!

Drive in was at 50 MPH Max.
Everything was snow covered except one lane on the Hwy.
Luckily it was Friday, which is a light traffic day anyway, and many people just stayed home.

I was driving for the shop from 10AM til 3:30PM.
The roads went from snow covered to total salt spray to dry by the time I got back.
Bet I used a 1/2 gallon of windshield fluid! LOL!

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Sounds like mthe whole country is in weather disorts!! we are having a very cold spell right now..today it got to 40ish & that's been the warmest it's been in two weeks!! We did get a little snow last week & we are due for more precip of some sort this weekend!!

I didn't move to Texas from the north to get cold!!!! hahahahahaha I've had my fair share of snow & cold thank you very much!! hee hee

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

13° with a high of 16°
Some snow flurries during the morning hours will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. Cold. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Rusty, wrap up and stay warm! We just have to get thru February and then we'll be so happy!

Barb, it will be interesting over the years to see if your weather stays in this pattern. Do the hibiscus normally shed leaves? We have had a lack of sun here. I'll be glad to see it!

Elena, I will try to get there one of these days. Yep, I saw a few friends there already. That's always nice! Recipes are my downfall!!

Pepper, I don't know whether to laugh or cry over your truck! It's had it's problems. I won't even mention the tool, LOL! But I'm so glad it was a minor problem! Grrr on the pictures!

Ric, I'm glad your streets cleared. There's nothing like seeing that salty dry pavement! Smiling over the WW fluid :o)

Hi Cindylove! I don't think anyone ever gets used to the cold unless they were born to it. I'm ready for Spring mentally. Really ready for garden and flower seeding, no. I need to get off the computer and bury my nose in the seed catalogs!

We have a memorial service this afternoon. SIL lost her son, age 46, to a brain tumor. Photos taken of him this October were the picture of health. That's how fast it took him. He had the few years they gave him. Funny how they are pretty much right on that.

I was thrilled to find a Brown Thrasher in my tree! I read that they frequent bird feeding stations, but I've never seen them at mine before.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

-2°

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

19* and wind chill 12*....
Last night no snow so tonight will be chance of snow 40%...

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Lovely bird, Sally!
It's 30 F and snowstorm . These little birds came into my garden, but I don't know what they are!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Adina try a Misto or Saffron Finch

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Billie you asked:
"Barb, it will be interesting over the years to see if your weather stays in this pattern. Do the hibiscus normally shed leaves? We have had a lack of sun here. I'll be glad to see it!"

If I kept my greenhouse warmer, they wouldn't. But I don't want to spend that much on heating it. They are easier for me to keep if they don't go completely dormant. I've killed many over the years by over watering in the Winter.
It's snowing for the third time this Winter. My husband, whose family has had a house here since the 40's says that it didn't used to be that uncommon for there to be snow.
I was driving back onto the island about an hour ago, snow had accumulated in the sides of the road, but not the road itself. And I passed - a snow plow truck. Holy crap!!! They might be absolutely common where y'all are, but I didn't know our county even owned one. I've never seen one around here before. If I hadn't been driving, I would have SO gotten a picture!!!
Barb

High of 32 and mostly cloudy for most of the day. Under a winter storm advisory til noon tomorrow. Snow to hit sometime tonight.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like we'll get your weather about Monday Pep.
We just barely made 24° for about 20 minutes.

The roof GH and Porch are fine.
Didn't get below 45° it seems.

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

14° and cloudy now after a low of 0° this morning and a high of 17° with some sunshine earlier today.

I thought those looked like sheep too.

Beautiful bookcase Bernie! -22º......not so beautiful!

Barb.....around here we get excited if we DON'T see any snowplows!

January is going quickly..........spring will be here before we know it!

Photo: Here's on of my favorites from a couple of years ago. It's one of our super-tough Amish girls heading home from work!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

early_bloomer,
That picture is gorgeous!
My sister went to Franklin and Marshall. I did grow up in the North, in upstate NY, in the Albany area.
I will say, the longer it stays cold, the more I'm getting used to it. Still hate it though.
Barb

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

7° this morning High of 15°
Cloudy skies early, followed by partial clearing. Cold. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.

Ric, cold!

Rusty, no snow here even tho we had chances.

Adina, it's nice to have birds with color!

Barb, I hear you on heating the green house too much.
Laughing over the snow plow! Common here, and you should see the huge blades on some of them! They built a County maintainer shed just up the road to the north of me so I also see a road grader daily :o)

Pepper, are the weather liars lying this time?

Early, I agree, January is going! I'm finally making my garden seed order because time is slipping away! I never used to procrastinate before I got my own computer :o)
I sure feel for the girl, but they are tough, and determined. It is a most exellent photo!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Quote from billyporter :
Rusty, no snow here even tho we had chances.

No snow here either as yesterday werid weather....

Today: A slight chance of rain and snow before noon. Cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 27 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as 18. West wind around 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tonight: A chance of freezing drizzle. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 19. Northwest wind at 8 mph becoming southwest

As maybe as what the weather say above!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Only -19º this morning. Heat wave, I think!
Sun is shining, to low in the sky to give any warmth.
Oh well, spring is only 3 months away.

Bernie

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

e_b every time I see that photo I'm picturing it as an old 'Time' or 'Life' cover from the 50's-60's.
Personally I think it's one of the best 'documentary' snow shots I've seen.
Makes you just want to know the back story!
Kudos!

Teens here today but near 40° tomorrow.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Quote from CountryGardens :
Only -19º this morning. Heat wave, I think!
Sun is shining, to low in the sky to give any warmth.
Oh well, spring is only 3 months away.

Bernie

It only 2 months away... lol....

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Nope 3 months here, 1st of May.

Cold with a high of around 18* with a freezing mist off and on all day.

Our parking lot at work didn't get plowed today so we had a heck of a time bringing in carts. I really wish I could post pics. I would show you how they plowed it the last time. It's a mess the way they did it. We have a pile of snow going part way down the middle of a driving lane. So cars that want to park have to be on one side and hope another car doesn't come from the other direction and hit you. Unfortuntely we can't do anything about it. It's mall property and the owner doesn't care and neither does the manager. They also pushed snow into both cart corrals and a coworker and I had to dig them out today so carts could get in there and out of the way of drivers.

Elena, Mt. View is about 3 hours north of Malvern. Oh fun!! I love it up there in the Ozarks but don't go very often for some reason.

We start warming up in mid March here. Supposed to get a little sleet and snow tonight though, but warming back up to where we are today, mid 40's. It's 43 and overcast right now.

High of 30 and sunny today. Grader came by again today and graded the road some more. Trying to get rid of the snow so as it melts we don't get so much ice like we have in the past. Supposed to get more snow sometime in the next week.

We got absolutely no precipitation last night, it all stayed southeast of us, woo hoo!!! Supposed to be overcast most of the day I think and mid to upper 40's.

I must have fought with myself in bed, I'm all stove up!

Got above freezing today for the first time in over a week, maybe 2. It felt goooood!!! LOL. Sun was shining, the roof was leaking at work, and the parking lot was black instead of white. LOL.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Same here Pep but 40°.
Buckets out throughout the warehouse....lol!

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

We had -14° here yesterday morning--and 31° this morning. 45° warmer!

Thanks Ric. I should have taken another photo after I passed her of her coming towards me. They don't like to be photographed though. Several years ago the head of one of our local Amish sects decided that bicycles were allowed. They ride them everywhere now. Usually not in that kind of weather though.

I hiked into the Ernst Trail along French Creek before sun-up yesterday morning hoping for some nice foggy sunrise photos like I've made in past years but conditions didn't come together. I did manage a couple half-way decent photos though. It was cold!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

24° with a high of 22°
Mostly cloudy skies. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight: Overcast. Low 13°

Rusty since it's now the 26th, I'll see what your weather was really like :o)

Bernie, just, WOW...

Ric, agree on the Amish girl on the cover of a magazine!

Aww, poor heavy kitty ornament, LOL!

Awww Pepper, you shouldn't have to be out there freezing. That's not normally part of your job.

Chrissy, our Spring warms in March also, but hides during April. If we're lucky, May warms up, but it can be cold in June.

ROTFL&L over the comment about fighting yourself in bed. Very funny mental picture!

Pepper and Ric, smiling over the leaky roofs :o)

Early, you're danged cold too! You could have gone for a close side shot to respect their beliefs. It's still a picture that speaks volumes and I think it belongs in a museum, if any are dedicated to their way of life. Yes, it's that good!

It's a gorgeous sunrise picture!

These two pictures remind me of waiting in line at the water fountain at school.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Making sure he doesn't cut in line

Thumbnail by billyporter

Well everyone, it's bright and sunny here today, probably the brightest day since the beginning of winter! I don't know what the high is supposed to be, but I need a sunny day.

My cat of almost 15 years, we were a month shy, passed away yesterday afternoon. She went quick so that was good, just thought she was going to live forever!

BP those are good pics!

Thumbnail by crissyr
Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I am so sorry. I always come unglued at the seams when I lose a pet that I have loved for any period of time, much less that long. My heart goes out to you. She was beauty. I am glad she didn't have a lingering death. Those are so hard!!!!

That is a precious picture. I hope you will get another one right away. It is the sincerest form of flattery to your lost pet to get another immediately. It shows how much you loved the last one that you would want to try again. A bad pet makes you want to just give up on pets.

I'm not getting another right away as it's pretty hard having a cat out in the country where there are 50 dogs that run lose all the time, and I won't keep a cat inside, Tiga was in and out all the time, until the last couple weeks. I want to grieve over her like we do, then do the things I want to do for a while before getting another pet, me and Dave agreed that we don't want to be constrained to the house like we were, we love traveling and since we don't know anyone here to house sit like we did in CA it makes it very difficult.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

My last cat had some very serious health issues since he was born with feline herpes. I could never leave him with anyone the whole five years because he needed special care. I know what you mean about not having anyone to care for them. It does tie you down. That cat was an excellent traveler so I could at least take him with me on short trips or when I could leave him in his big cage in a motel or home. He made 5 trips to Mt. View, the first one when he was just three months old.

Tiga was stricken with Irritable Bowel Syndrome when she was 11 and lived on steroids. Funny as she was terminally ill but didn't pass away from the illness but something completely different, we think she stroked out. She was fine yesterday morning when I was getting ready for work and after Dave got up, then he said about noonish her equilibrium got messed up as did her balance, then shortly after that she became lethargic and put herself to bed. He checked on her then and an hour after and she was still alive, he checked on her an hour after that and she was gone, but hadn't been gone for very long at all as she was still warm everywhere. I was dreading the day I was going to have to put her down, thank goodness it didn't come to that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.