Blue Feathered MG

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Several years ago this popped up in my garden. I usually hybridize (amateur lol) other tropical plants but I also was fiddling around with MGs and anything else in my yard. So then this came along and since I wasn't being scrupulous in labeling the MG seeds I don't really know if it was from something I crossed or a sport. Anyways it comes true from seed for at least the last 3 yrs. It doesn't make a ton of seeds but seemed to make more this year than last. Its kinda pretty. I'm not really sure what to call it..feathered or what? Every great once in a while when the weather changes or something it throws a single flower and I have a pic of that one too.
Some pics from last year

Thumbnail by angel_tree_baby

Another one

Every once in a blue moon it will throw a single that looks like this

This years

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Lovely! If you have seeds to trade, please dmail me. Thanks for sharing your beauty with all of us!

Thank you. They are much more blue in real life. My camera doesn't do blues very well. I got a new camera so will be able to get more accurate pics this year I hope. It does have that pinkish purple eye in the center and the buds look pinkish until they open. I am thinking of calling it Blue Flamingo because it reminds me of one (if there was such a thing) My teen dd picked that name lol.
Here is a pic with a bud (next to the flower) so you can see the bud color. Now if only it also had variegated leaves....:P

This message was edited Jan 24, 2011 11:42 AM

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

A very Pretty Blue HIGE

Yes, there is a PINK FORM Japanese Morning Glory called 'Pink Flamingo', a very bright and cheerful Pink -
So, you have picked a great name

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

angel_tree-baby - Beautiful blue hige!!!

Where is Chickenville, FL? I'm on the east coast of Florida.

beckygardener: Sorry for the untimely reply. I have been sick for awhile.
I am in NE FL. "Chickenville" is in my backyard LOL! We are in a rural area where I can have all my plants and noisy animals :)

The Pink Flamingo is gorgeous!

Just an update. I still have these and grew out seeds last year and have had the same result. Almost all are feathered blue and just a few single popping up here and there so I guess they I consider it to be stable now (4 yrs of seed growing) :) It is a good bloomer. I grew one in the greenhouse last winter and it never went dormant and bloomed throughout the winter.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Could I get a few of these seeds, Angel Tree? Maybe I can swap something? LMK & thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.