2010 Datura pics

Lovington, IL

I had plants that out preformed others, but nothing variety specific. It seemed more specific to location. The one plant that my dad and I both agreed on not growing again was the Tatula. It produces lots of small blooms that are quickly replace with thorny spiked seed pods. It also grows out as quickly as it grows in height. For the space it consumes it just doesn't have the appeal that the other Datura varieties have.

Thumbnail by festivus40
Lovington, IL

Sounds like your off to a great start Garry

Thumbnail by festivus40
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks Garry! That's fascinating to me, so really appreciate the info. Sounds like you are doing fabulous with them, and now I obviously am going to have to start some seeds. Probably won't search for any Tatula seeds tho :-) I think I have some black currant swirl seeds, and it sounds like even in my cold frozen north, I could start some now.

Florala, AL

Another couple days goes by and now my datura's are about 3 inches tall and getting thier 1st set of leaves..Still have them in thier jiffy dome.. wonder when i need to move em out?

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

If they are 3'tall the roots are at least that long, I'd get them in individual pots asap.

Lovington, IL

Your best bet is to put them in the largest pots you have available and still have room to keep inside. I transplanted into 3" cups for my first transplant and was repotting them again just a few short weeks later.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Fest- love all your Dat's.....I've had really good success using a heat mat too - much quicker to germinate...have a whole tray of Black Currant Swirl up now and just a few Golden Queens have germ'd...still waiting on lilac lefleur and two other variety's to germinate...

Lovington, IL

I'm glad you like my pics rednyr. It sounds like your off to a great start this year with your Daturas as well. I have about a dozen seedlings transplanted now and more coming up every day. I sure enjoy the process of nurturing them and watching them grow. I too only have had a few Golden Queens sprout, but my Triple White Purity's and Unforgettable's have all sprouted.

Thumbnail by festivus40
Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Ha! Lilac LeFleur and 3 Golden Queens germ'd last night...hurry let's talk badly about them some more lol

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow yall leaving me in the dust! I better get to swing some dats : ) right now I am going to see what Golden Queen looks like!

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

Kim - it was 75 down here in SC today...so we're all itching to get to spring!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Well, spring is a way off for me here, but I'm still starting some Dat seeds anyway. I'll just move them to bigger pots if I have to come spring. Have any of you grown them out in pots? How big a pots did you use? Planning on growing at least 4 or 6 in pots until after the middle of Sept., as I need them for wedding decorations for a family member, so would love to know what to expect, especially since this is my first year for dats anyway. ;-) And I was hoping that I could get some pretty pots for them this weekend as there is an auction this weekend for a flower shop that went out of business and they are selling all their inventory and fixtures.

75~sigh~ :o}
I had one in a pretty 12inch pot the bloomed beautifully!!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Only 12 inches, Wow! That should work! Do you know, do they tend to bloom better in pots if the roots are crowded?

I don't know about that....but it was happy only shorter : ) And I just looked at the pot and it looked bigger so I measured and it is 12 across and 11 deep.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.