"THINK SPRING!" seed swapping discussion for Feb. 26 swap

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This thread is in relation to the "Think Spring!" seed swap party in Frederick on Saturday, Feb. 26, 2011. See this thread for event details: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1149397/

Here is where we can chat about seeds we have, seeds we're looking for, etc. You can also arrange trades on this thread (or via D-mail).

It is not necessary to arrange a single trade in advance for the swap, but some people find it useful. It's also handy to gauge interest in a particular kind of seed so you know when you're packing seeds if you should make up 6 packets or 26.

As I've done in the past, I'll put together a tray of "goodie bags" with names on them. This makes it really easy for you to earmark seeds for a particular person and just drop them into that person's bag when you arrive.

Let's post our "have" and "want" lists on a separate thread here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1149398/ If we make just one post per person, our lists will be easy to find. Sometimes our trading threads get pretty busy!

This message was edited Jan 13, 2011 10:12 PM

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

reserved for additional comments or guidelines

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a ton of seeds from my Castor Bean. It is a beautiful and impressive plant. I do warn you that all parts of the plant are poisonous if eaten so if you have any children or pets that might chew on them they would not be suitable for your garden.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've been debating them.. I could certainly cut off the spent blooms so they're not a problem, and they'll also bloom way above Joyanna's head, but then again maybe I'll just stick with banana plants and amaryllises in the "tropical" bed this year. (I'm pretty sure she shouldn't eat amaryllis either, but I think the toxin in that one is mostly in the bulb and nowhere near as deadly as a castor bean.)

I've heard that planting castor beans will ward off voles... even if you don't want huge tall plants all over your yard you could probably still try planting them around and just prune them to a shorter height.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Gee Holly, do you have any voles/ moles? I pass a skillfully pplanted bed near here that uses the red Castor very well, such a great contrast in color, texture, everything! but I also vote no for Jill. A colored bean/ "berry" is too risky/ tempting.

I'll have milk jugs for you wintersowers out there who don't have three teenagers

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Deadheading the plants would certainly take care of the problem... but those of you who have seen my garden know that a faithful deadheader, I am not!

I've got some Malabar Spinach seeds dried and ready to pack up... and if there's a lot of interest, I can pick some more ripe ones from the plant by swap time. It's a tender perennial, and it does indeed taste like spinach... those ripe berries would make an excellent magenta dye, too, I think LOL!

Ah I'll try Malabar--always been curious. How's the flavor?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Unfortunately yes we have voles/moles and quite a lot of them right now. Jill maybe in a few years when Joyanna is just a bit older. Both Jen and Josh love the Castor Bean but I talked them out of growing them as I was worried about Jen's children and Josh's dog. At our house it is unlikely anyone would bother with them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The flavor of the Malabar spinach vine leaves is definitely spinach-like, although the leaves are a little thicker (size of a salad spinach leaf, but the texture is more like a big mature spinach leaf).

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

You know--there are SOOO many plants that are toxic if ingested.
Morning Glories, Cardinal Climber, Daturas, Brugmansias, Foxgloves, and more, I am sure....
Anything in the Nightshade family----lots of vines fall into that....

I am sure that it is a huge effort for anyone with "babes" to think of what NOT to plant....

I am still hauling in sorting and bagging up all the seeds i have....

Hey! Please tell me how I can edit/add/remove any entries in my Trade List.
So far--I have not had much luck. There does not seem to be anything there to click on.

Thanks--Gita

Gita I dmaled you--
I had to figure it out myself. When you go to Your Info and click (name) tradelist, you see it as just anybody. You then have to look at the top bar and find "YOUR TRADE LIST" and open that. Then you are looking at your trade lists with options on the right for Edit, Delete etc.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Gita, you're sure right, and you know I'm careful with her... the thing with the castor beans is that they're bright and pretty, and I even one bean can be deadly.

The DG Trade list is a great swap tool!

Oleander scares the cr+p out of me yet its used all over the warm areas in landscaping! Someone gave me one and I did just get nervous with it dropping leaves in the house.

My tradelist is not up to date but this would be a good time to try and do that. Otherwise I will list in a Swap thread, then its easy for me to keep track of my gives and gets for our day.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Anyone---

Sally--I sent you a D-mail back....
I want to remove about 6 plants from my trade list...
HOW???????

I know i can go to "MY Tools" and ADD a plant---but to remove on??????

Need to update this asap!

Thanks--Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

WHERE is everyone today????? Burried in snow--somewhere....
Still sitting on a Highway since last night--dreaming of getting home???

Hey! I worked yesterday until 6PM and getting home was no fun! I think I crept
at 15mph all the 4 1/2 mi. to my house--and it took me 25 minutes! it was scary!
A real white out! Couldn't see the lanes or the medians....just following the tracks
of cars ahead of me....

Anyway!......I have spent ALL DAY today updating my Trade List. It was about 4 years old???
I have added 18 new seeds I have to share. Edited just about every other Posting with
more information (see! I am smarter now!) and added pictures to almost everything.

Feel free to consider this my "Haves" list. IF I must list it on the official "Haves" and
"Wants" Post--I will--but this is IT!
Everything listed--I have enough to share at the Seed Swap. Had to even get a bigger box!

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I was sorting seeds yesterday... now I need to type out a list from that pile of extra packets!

Holly just posted that she's looking for "Sky Blue Vine" seeds. I'm not sure what that it, although I think there's a morning glory called "Sky Blue" -- is that the one, Holly?

Also, a DGer who can't make it to the swap is looking for a few luffa seeds. I have some in my stash, but they're pretty old. Does anybody know how long gourd seeds are "good?" Or does anybody have some luffa to share? Thanks!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I checked my OLD "Time Life" gardening book on vines-
The closest--name-wise-is a Thunbergia , which was also called "Skyflower"
in this book.

I have a picture of the blue Thunbergia vine from Rawlings....

Could this be the one, Holly??

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

I have luffa that are um i'm guessing six years- how does that compare to your old? I'll see if I have the packet and confirm. I bet they stay viable for ages, and recommend a good soak before planting.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Gita I think that is it. We saw it while in Fl. they were beautiful.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't think mine are any older than that, Sally! Good idea on the soaking... germinating on paper towel in a baggie would also let you know for sure that they were viable when planted, instead of just sticking them in the dirt and hoping. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--

I just looked in PF...so many other vines fall under the Thunbergis label.
Many different colors as well.....
I think the one called "Blue Trumpet Vine" may be what you are looking for.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=Thunbergia&Search=Search+PlantFiles

Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly---

Lookie here! This one is actually called "Blue Sky Trumpet Vine".....

Bingo!!!!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76859/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Gita that one has the variegated leave I love that one even more.

Jill, I plan do do some potting today, I'll dig those luffas out and evne do a sprouting test myself if there are enough- good suggestion.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Sally!

Found my Luffa packet- 2004 LOL so I have seeds from a fruit of that summer or the next.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I finally got some of my seed list typed up... See http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8309507

Please let me know if something catches your eye, or just post in general what your interests are... I'll try to find a pack or two for everybody's goodie bag to start off with... If you get something in your bag that you don't want, please swap it or pass it along! :-)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Would anybody like cuttings of Alsobia 'Cygnet'? It's an african violet cousin that's easy to root (stick it in a cup of moist potting mix, pop a baggie over it, and forget it) and has really cool fringed white flowers. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/103222/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter I would love one of those leaves.

Your Alsobia is cute but didn't like my house LOL But I think I had something else in mind I thought you have so I''m going to check out your list now.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2011 9:22 AM

Gita, you have done a very nice job with your Have list in tradelists.

Holly I'll take a few castor beans.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2011 9:28 AM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have plenty of Castor Seeds Sally I will bring you some.

It'll be a jungle here, what with the Castor and the Banana !
And thank you!

This message was edited Feb 17, 2011 3:37 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"Jungle" reminds me... if anybody wants a night-blooming orchid cactus (thought it was "Queen of the Night" but found out it's another, equally beautiful variety), I've got a nice big one! I can put it in my car if it's a mild day, otherwise it's pickup from my house.

Thumbnail by critterologist
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I can bring one of those (NBC) also for the gift table--if anyone is interested.
Well growing--in a 6" pot.

I can also bring a well-rooted Brugmansia--Pink--NOID. VERY good bloomer!

Sally--Thank you for your kind comment on my Trade List....
That took a couple of days to update!

Starting to clean up my garden in these warm days!

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I added a few more seeds to my list just now... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8309507

Please, if you see anything on my list that you're particularly interested in, post and let me know... most of my seeds are in limited supply this year (many are single packets)... I'd love to know what I can pop into your goodie bag!

Also, I probably won't try to bring my stash, just my extras, so if you're interested in a particular tomato or pepper or flower please post... if I have a few seeds, I'll share, and if I don't maybe somebody else will have it!

Some mixed / or any columbines would be great!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Sally - While they are not on my list, I have several different columbines I can spare seeds of.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Columbines for Sally, check... I'm hoping to winter sow a good variety of columbines, so hopefully I'll have some extras to share this spring/fall, also. :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter I would like some of your
Gaillardia (Blanket Flower), Burgundy
Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun'
Pretty Purple Pepper --
Fluorescent Purple Pepper --
Ornamental Pepper, Variegated
I still haven't found my box of seeds. I moved them when I was working on the back room and moving things from the storage bedroom to the back. There are only so many places they could be I just can't figure out where they are. I had seeds around here somewhere for a Variegated Ornamental Pepper that I picked up at Bok Tower Gardens they are among the missing. I just remembered them when I saw your list. Do you think your Ornamental Pepper, Variegated look like this?

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.