Question on Adios Nonino Lily?

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I believe I've read somewhere it also goes by another name. Does anyone know the other name? I have to addmit that I could have dreamed it. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Poland, ME

Looks a lot like Burgundy Splash except I can't tell from the picture if the center colors are the same...

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Is that the one currently being offered by Dutch Gardens?

Poland, ME

I saw it for sale at The Lily Nook

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Just checked and it's on page 55 of the 2011 Dutch Gardens catalog.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

This is an excerpt from MAK breeding newsletter. It looks like Adios Nonino has been around for quite sometime. It doesn't look like they just slapped a new name on an old lily, if that's what you were asking. I think the first Tango lilies were developed the end of the 1980s, and it says it takes ten years to get them to market, so it appears Adios Nonino was one of the first Tangos.

Sure is pretty! I didn't care for them at first, now I really like some of them.

"Growers association ‘The Originals’ introduces ‘Tango Lilies’ at Keukenhof.

May 10, 2007

In the Prince Willem Alexander Pavilion the largest lily show in the world can be seen from May 11th until May 20th, with more than 20.000 lilies in over 300 different varieties. The lilies that are currently being used by consumers as cut flower, pot plant or in the garden are being divided in three main groups: Asiatic types, Oriental types and Longiflorums. Breeders, who by crossing make new varieties, are improving the assortment by combining the desired qualities. By doing this they also create new colours and shapes, stronger flowers and stems and possibilities for a more efficient production. Breeding requires patience and vision: it takes at least ten years before deliverable novelties can be obtained from crossings. Who knows now which colours are fashionable at that time? Keukenhof is the popular stage to show and test lily novelties with the many visitors from home and abroad, hobbyists as well as lily professionals. Bandoneon player Carel Kraaijenhof will baptized the lily ‘Adios Nonino’. It is also the song he played at the wedding of the crown prince with Maxima. The new lily is one of the most beautiful samples of the new Tango Lily-series, of which already three varieties are available. The Tango Lily-series is special because of the dark heart in the flower and the large colour richness, in which new varieties of this type will be coming available. The Tango Lily-series belongs to the Asiatic types, with upstanding flowers in many, bright colours. This group of lilies (coming from the breeding material from Mak Breeding), will be introduced by growers association ‘the Originals’ who have a large variety of colours available within their ‘Tango Lily’ assortment. The name ‘Tango Lily’ has been patented by ‘the Originals’ world wide."

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

holi cow

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for the great information.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Holi cow, ha, Jo Ann. Of course now I want one. I've been waffling about buying this year from The Lily Nook anyway.

So, dlefferts, are you going to be buying one?

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I can't resist it. Yes, It was also named a favorite in NALS for 2009, I think. I love all ususal lilies. I'm running out of room in my garden

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.