Caladiums anyone?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Bill has his Classified Ad up for two more weeks so I thought I'd visit this forum to let you know about it.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1148487/

Since I do know many of you - Carolyn, doc, HollyAnn/Ric, Gitagal, I couldn't let you miss out on a real bargain by dealing with Bill. He really does have the best bulbs and the best values.

Here's Red Thrill:

Thumbnail by pirl
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the heads up Pirl, I haven't thought about them yet but I sure will be wanting some. LOL
For those of you that haven't seen or ordered from Bill before I will say he has the nicest bulbs and great prices. A very nice man with great service. Caladiums are the most beautiful plant and for those of us in a more northern climate something that most of your neighbors will not have. I get the nicest comments on my large pots of caladiums.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

You're right, HollyAnn. Any pot of caladiums (from Bill) are sure to be noticed.

Via the Classified Ad we pay $7.50 for the "Fancy Leaved" and $9.25 for the "Strap Leaved" varieties. Prices are for a bag of 10 bulbs.

"Fancy" are bulbs as shown in my first post - fewer leaves than the "Strap" varieties but huge.

"Strap" have many more leaves but they're not as large a leaf as the "Fancy". Here's the Miss Muffet, a strap variety. I doubt a flat of impatiens for $9.25 could give the same impression.

Thumbnail by pirl

Here you can see our 2008 back steps with Red Thrill on the left, then Gingerland. The third step is my "Doubting Thomas" step. I bought one bag from Home Depot for a dollar less than Bill charged. To me there is just no comparing other caladiums to Bill's.

The other two big pots at ground level were also Bill's caladiums. The single leaved one was a Thai caladium bought online.

I've learned my lesson! LOL

Thumbnail by pirl
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful Pirl, The Strap Caladiums are great for hanging baskets and window boxes. I do several big pots at my parents house they always get comments from their neighbors. One lady that was out walking her dog stopped and knocked on the door she wanted to know what they were and where Mom got them.

See that!

I love the strap varieties in hanging baskets, too, HollyAnn. Last year I tried a bag of begonias, without caladiums, and it was so boring. We really enjoy the impact of a lush arrangement.

Thumbnail by pirl
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I've already put my order in with Bill. Only ordered the Florida Fantasy and the Florida Sweetheart because I'm hoping that the bulbs being stored in the garage from last year will survive. They were absolutely stunning. I ordered 10 varieties last year and gave lots of them away to some of my favorite people. The caladiums were new to the recipients and they were blown away.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2011 11:10 AM

As long as the temperature is 60 or above they'll be fine.

Crozet, VA

Uh oh, I see some bulb purchasing in the very near future. I love these plants too.

Ruby

I was hoping that the information that I read about storing them in temperatures no more than 50 degrees was correct. If not, I'm happy that I bought some new ones.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No Roses, Not "less" than 50. You want them stored in a warm spot.

Right, HollyAnn. The low of 50 is too low for them.

Only about 10 days to left to order through Bill. His current ad runs out a week from Saturday.

Can't wait for the left side (taken this morning) of this collage to look like the right side: we have enough snow: same steps, same hand railing. What a difference a few months makes.

Thumbnail by pirl
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

pirl -- when you do, say a medium sized pot, with strictly bulbs... how many do you put in per pot?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm putting together my order I'll have it in on Wednesday. I always get extra for my Mom and some of my kids

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I just ordered mine last week. Very excited - this will be my first year with them.... so i'm trying to learn all i can.

tcs - hmmm - what medium is to me might be small to you. In this pot I put three caladium, Florida Sweetheart, with the begonias.

If you want a pot of just caladiums I'd put them an inch apart but beware - Bill's are the largest I've ever seen and I've bought from HD and Blooming Bulb and, long ago, from another caladium grower before I knew better.

I wouldn't go past five caladium bulbs to a pot that's 10" wide.

You're such a good daughter and mother, HollyAnn.

Thumbnail by pirl
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric is wonderful about going up and mowing for my parents. You know how he loves to cook and he makes them a lot of meals, too. I have such wonderful parents they just celebrated their 60th anniversary. You know Pirl that is how we got our GH my parents gave it to us. I love going up and planting their yard. They are in pretty good shape and still do alot of their own yard work my Dad trimmed and mulched his hedge that runs around the whole back yard. Just went out every few days and did a little bit till the whole thing was finished. Here are the planters I did for their yard last year.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

WOW -- that is pretty.

Ric is a blessing to you and your entire family, HollyAnn. There is not a day when I don't miss my own parents and wish they were here.

Beautiful planting and great color harmony, HollyAnn.

I spent three weeks doing caladium combinations for the garden this year. It's such fun. This was the first one and it looks good on paper. We'll find out how it looks in person come July.

Thumbnail by pirl

Beautiful combo, Holly. Is that Aaron and one of the Florida's? Or maybe Gingerland mixed with?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It is Gingerland but I'm not too sure what the tall red is might be Fl Cardinal. This year I'm ordering Buck Rogers,
Candidum & Gingerland for her pots and I'm moving the old bulbs from the pots into the bed that runs between the two pots on pillars. That little strip bed between the walk and the house will be filled with different caladiums this year.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

That will really look good, Holly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.