ORVG Coffee House #185 A New Year of Gardening

Columbus, OH

Growing up on a farm is what made me a vegetarian. LOL

I love pinto beans sooo much. Mexican style, with homemade tortillas, I can eat myself into a coma.

yep kids are out of school
pretty sure tomorrow they will have school
not much here
electrician will come out on the 19th , we got two small heaters , one for each side. got a discount .
cost more then we thought. over budget.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Potassium Nitrate (Saltpeter) can usually be found at Natural Food stores.
Food grade is readily available on-line also.
Make SURE you get food grade... it's also used to make gunpowder..... or smoke bombs.... don't ask.... lol!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I'll ask, "Ric, how do you know that?" It has other uses too, but been awhile since I read about it.

Sue, great on getting the electrician so soon, or relatively soon!

I am using these cold snowy days to begin to do my spring cleaning. I have both bathrooms all cleaned and the laundry room. Will start on a bedroom tomorrow. Of course by the time spring gets here it will be dirty again, but I know it was ONCE clean.

Celene, if I am around the animals, I can't eat them, and I have a problem eating wild game, picturing Bambi and Peter cottontail. Hehe. DH will hunt and eat rabbit, but he doesn't eat deer. Well, only a little. One of his friends made some deer sausage, like summer sausage and gave him, and he is eating that. I tasted it, but I am plagued by the "thought" thing.

Columbus, OH

It bothers me. I am not one of the judgey vegetarians (they're always newbs anyhow), I think what you eat is your own choice. Lots of people who know me think I'm an idiot for paying more for CSA food, and to me it's a great comfort to know where my food comes from.

I agree Celene. Wish you lived closer, since we have such a big garden, you could share ours. DH raises about an acre of every kind of veggie you can imagine.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Saltpeter makes me think of the song from the show "!776," when John & Abigail Adams are writing to each other about what they need the other to get. The ladies of Massachusetts need pins & the army needs saltpeter. "Saltpeter, John" "Pins, Abigail." What a fun, fun show. I saw it (twice) on Broadway in 1970 or 71. John Cullom was playing the guy from South Carolina, and man, what a voice! I was trying to get all the principal actors autographs, but I was missing his. I waited until it was 2 minutes before curtain time, & up he road on his motorcycle. He had his make-up already on, & he signed my book & we both dashed inside. I got to my seat & he appeared on stage 2 minutes later, in wig and costume.

Pinto beans sound pretty good, Bonnie. Thanks for the suggestion :-)
Pat

They were Pat. DH and I both have been wanting some, so today was the day.

i may be having comp problems so i will be offline for awhile
my screen is dark and my i hear something funny in my comp
it wont be until monday but i just can't see anything ?

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi folks.
Been reading...but not much to say..nothing going on here but snow and cold temps! Yuk!
Had a roast beef sandwich for lunch with horseradish on it...yum!
It was left from Christmas...lol. Yea..it was frozen all that time.
Time to go fix some supper here.
You all take care.

If we all stayed away because there was not much going on, this thread would be dormant!!

I did a bit of cleaning today, and then uploaded some pics and put some things on ebay. Not much work, but it took the time.

Columbus, OH

I made a birthday cake for my coworker today, and some lowfat Korean chicken meatballs. They're supposed to be made with pork, but I make them with chicken so they have less cholesterol.

Seed catalogs are killing me! So many cool things that I don't have the room to grow.

Defoecat, I'd love it if we lived closer. Since that isn't the case, I trade work for food with my CSA. I advise them on mixed pots and then spend a weekend planting the pots, and I also advise them on hot peppers for fruit and for plant sales, so I get free stuff. I also give them easy veg recipes to pass out with the weekly deliveries, and throw some candles and gardener's soaps in there, and we take it out in trade.

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

I've been so busy the past few weeks and have been lurking more than anything. DS - the youngest - just had his 16th birthday on Tuesday and it seems weird to think about him being so 'old'. LOL, maybe it's just me that's weird. The oldest son is getting married - we think - this August, I turn 50 this year, and I'm feeling a bit down thinking about time going by so fast.

DH's been having me put tools on Craigslist and what doesn't go on there he wants put on eBay. These are huge shop tools and I told him it will be hard to sell them on eBay but he's determined to clear out the basement at work. The wholecompany downsized a few years back and they've rented out the main part of the building except for his part in the basement. They have a new renter wanting it in April so he's bound and determined to clean it out. I've been helping with part of that as well.

I'm so sick and tired of stupid s*** I could just scream - when and where's the next RU?

I better clarify..I did mean snow by that s*** ^_^ I hate snow so much I consider it right up there with the four letter words!

Hehehe, looking at the subject of your post, I didn't think the s*** stood for snow!

Don't let turning 50 get you down. If it will make you feel better, you are one of the youngster's on the ORVG forum!! Now, see. Age is relative.

good morning

Waddy, KY

Trying to get evaluations done at work. I so detest those things. Pretty much worthless. You really have to stink and do it for a long, long time to get a bad one. For the first time in this office's history they're finally trying to get rid of a loafer using an evaluation.

Had to go help DH feed the hill farm last night. Left from work. Everyone at the office gave me strange looks when I headed to the restroom with long johns, tons of clothes and insulated bibs. They just don't have a clue...
We've been using the 4 wheeler to feed with to keep from having to take the truck up and down the hills. I'm truly not a 4-wheeling momma apparently. Going up and down a 45 degree angle with snow on the ground trying to dodge this and that, sliding sideways and all that crap just isn't in my book of fun. The only thing that was going through my mind was we're gonna turn this thing over and we're so far from the road ain't nobody ever gonna be able to get to us. It was so much fun I guess I'm going to get to do it again tonight. Don't mind feeding when it's above 55, the sun's shining and the ground's dry. Oh well, take the good with the bad I guess.

Going to try to get back to work on a church pew that I started on last winter. I've got to get a coat of finish on it before I totally let it ruin. It's starting to dry out. Should have finished it last year but it got shoved back in the back of the basement. The time has come. It's just that I hate starting something late in the evening but that's the only time I'm going to get to work on it.

50 went by so fast I don't think I had time to give it much consideration. My grandfather at 90+ told me that it didn't get any better so I'd better be getting what I can out of the time that I have.

Later all!

Waddy, KY

Well, we were a real active bunch yesterday!

Got the evals done. One more thing out of the way until May. Then we can do it all over again.

Didn't have to help DH feed last night. He decided that he could lift the bags by himself. I didn't bother to rant and rave because it wouldn't have done any good. I guess if he gets out there and acts like an idiot we'll just deal.

I'm sitting here waiting for my rebuilt fire to take hold before I shut off the dampers and go back to bed. I knew as soon as I walked in the room that I was screwed. The room wasn't warm enough for there to still be enough coals in there to keep a log going and of course there wasn't. Oh well, guess I wasn't doing anything important at 3 in the morning.

Columbus, OH

I am trying to drum up the motivation to paint the back bedroom today. I'm having a new elliptical trainer delivered, and a new coat of paint would brighten the room up. Not to mention the newly-patched section of the wall where the drywall had to be cut out to fix damage on our chimney ;) It's our guest bedroom, and I have to figure out what color to paint it that isn't beige, that will match the futon cover colors, which are warm pinky browns with a little dark green and gold.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good afternoon all.
Janet...keep up the good work....lol. I just die laughing at your posts!! You really have a way with words..even though you probably don't mean it to be all that funny!
I didn't want to turn 50 either...but I did....sometime back. And since I'm still here...guess it was a good thing!
Still nothing going on here...trying to think of something to do today besides work! So far...haven't come up with anything!
Kind of dreary here today...but in the 30's...so not too awfully cold out there. Maybe I'll go take a walk!

Well, I guess I had the most exciting day of anyone who has posted so far1

We went to visit my sister in Flemingsburg, and since it is a 2+ hour drive up and that far back, my back side is car paralized. Had a good visit, but it is not something that I want to do very often, although I miss seeing her.

Celene, my sister had just redid her dining area, just off the kitchen, and she used a rust color, with beige trim. When she was describing it over the phone, I thought yuk, but it is very pretty. She made her window treatments, they are rust with a little green and blue in them, so it is a very pretty room. It is open, with her kitchen the other side of the room. She had the brown granite counters put in, tile beige behind it, and then around the cabinets is painted the beige, so it all blends and is very neat looking.

Janet, I just hated those evaluations. Have they changed them any, in the 10 years I have been gone? If they are done right, they are a good tool to get rid of bad employees, or to reward good employees. But as with anything that has people involved, they aren't used like they should be. Supervisor's pets usually got the raises, and the others, although not a bad evaluation, received a "meets" and you sure can't take that to the bank. I would tell the DH that if he pulls something lose, he will have to find something to amuse himself while he is in the hospital, as I sure wasn't coming to hold his hand, and say what rotten luck!! I think all men must have that macho gene, and unless they are incapable of walking will get out and do stupid things, long before the Dr okays it.

Columbus, OH

I should post a photo of the upholstery on the futon and see what you guys think about the paint.

I can give my 2 cents worth, but you know the advice is usually as good as the amount you pay for it! hehe.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll add two also.....!

Columbus, OH

Remember folks, if you want me to look at some clostridium for you or do a titer, I'm your girl. Paint colors? Not so much.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

24° here and some hazy Sun!
We won't break freezing today........ again.

Looks like we're caught in the cold zone.
Temps will hit 40 tomorrow and Tuesday then back below Normal.
If we had a bit more sun it wouldn't be too bad.
These gray days are the pits! lol!

Celene we are pretty good w/ colors.
We err to the Natural Tone side w/ flashy colorful trim.

We were looking for a good clostridium lab!
If we can't find one locally.......

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

You guys are hard up for something to talk about, aren't you??? LOL...sorry...couldn't resist that smart remark!
It's dang cold here...low 20's...but the sun is shining...and that's a good thing!
Lost my email this morning? Don't ask. My son had me do a restore back to 1/13....and it worked....so email is back. Also lost my external hard drive AGAIN. After trying several things, he had me unplug it for an hour...plug it back in....it's working..AGAIN....at least for now.
I need to get busy and get things put on cd's...such as pictures, etc. Hate to even think about doing it...but!
I'm bored...nothing to do...except work....and I don't wanna!
Maybe I'll take a nap!

61 in my GH !!!!! man .... feels so good in there !! wooo hoooo. watch me go.....
very sunny, no wind temps are only 20
great day here in my woods.
Tim got a big fire going out in he feild. old brush , tree limbs ect.... got pics, post later.
we sat and just gabbed , felt good to sit next to a roaring fire .

Janet, I know 50 will go by so fast I'll be going on 60 before I have the next chance to think about it! Age is just a number to me but I hate to see my kids growing up - just goes by too fast for me. And I'm depressed about the oldest getting married; never thought the girl was the right one for him but I'm keeping my mouth shut tighter than the door to my fridge.
Lazy, lazy day around here! Me and Tom laid around all day just watching mindless TV shows and eating pizza. There's a ton of stuff to do but I've been like Marcy all day - I don't wanna! LOL Sometimes it's good to have one of those lazy days.

Sue, what all do you have to do to your greenhouse still before you start filling it?

Waddy, KY

Kind of know what you mean about watching the kids grow up. The oldest is getting married in June and like you, I'm not real sure about the fellow she's chosen. Course I think every mother thinks probably similar thoughts about the spouse that their child chooses. This fellow is a little looser with his money than I'd like to see but she's as tight as bark so they might suit. And my littlest isn't so little anymore. She'll get her license in March. They're all 2-6 inches or more taller than I am and I feel like I'm shrinking.

Didn't do much yesterday. Cleaned out the cooler. I was slightly irritated with the darned thing. For some reason it dipped down to 30 degrees and held there long enough to freeze a bushel of apples and about 150 lbs of potatoes. Then it went back up to where it belonged. I didn't get a chance to get the stuff out of there until yesterday. Thawed potatoes get an aroma that is certainly distinct. Not as bad as rotting meat but it certainly isn't French perfume. Funny, there was a half bushel of winesaps that came out ok and several dozen eggs in syrofoam cartons in a cardboard box that likewise didn't freeze. I haven't figured that one out yet. Then I made supper a birthday supper for the 24 year old who's birthday is today. Next weekend I'll have supper for the 22 year old that 's still in college. His birthday was actually yesterday but he couldn't make it in. Also made a chocolate velvet cake. It was too warm to ice before I went to bed but it's supposed to have cream cheese pecan icing. Right now it sort of reminds me of Texas sheet cake. If that's the case it'll be fine.

Time to get to work. Have a good day all!

My oldest is 20 ! and i m only 40...?..... well... 40 something . I m to young to have a 20 yr old ? arn't I ?
Di holy cow i would never have guess 60 ? ! youi sure look younger than that to me . :)
well we need the heaters in the GH, then get the ceiling insulation up, then some benches wich will be simple saw horse style .
level out some of the gravel on the floor and add some extra gravel
then i think i m good to go ?
i got my ferns coming in the mail i ordered...... sure hope they live ! i asked her to ship in march. i got an email saying they have been shipped on a thursday ? .... uhg...... honestly i can't believe she did that but can't do anything about it today. and not to mention a holiday weekened ? what was she thinking .

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh NO! Sue....if you need extra space, I can put some in the basement for you...

Di is 50....not 60.....you better duck!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone.
Think I have to call the dentist today. Broke a jawtooth...and it hurts. Ahhh...just what I wanted to do.
Yea Sue...you messed up..callin Di 60!! Whew! Look out!!
Sun is shining...but mighty cold here!

Columbus, OH

I am getting flats ready for winter sowing, and trimming cuttings off of annuals I overwinter so that I have enough for mixed pots. I'm ignoring the paint choice for the back bedroom. If I ignore it, the right color paint will magically appear, right?

It may Celene, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I do well picking out paint colors, if I only have 4-6 to choose from. This is how I do it. Figure out the color that you want, and then go to the paint store, and only look at colors in that range. Sure cuts down on a lot of indecision.

Just back from my walk. This is the first time in about 2 weeks that I have walked, because it has been so cold and snowy. Wish I had somewhere where I could use an indoor track.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Dang....forgot about the holiday and went to the P/O to mail a box of candy off....oh well, did the automatic thingy and then the stupid box wouldn't open so I could leave the box.....grrrrrr

Sorry about your tooth, Marcy...that must be painful!

Celene....if I had brought any annuals in they'd be long gone by now. Start some for me, too...... ;o) On the other hand...I do have two ferns that are holding their own....I'm knocking on wood.....

Sorry Di didn't read to well my bad yesnibam still going to duck
I'm on my iPad comp is in shop
Have no email either
Sorry about tooth Marcy

Columbus, OH

Joyce, I expect that unless I have huge "crop failures" I'll have plenty of some things. Poppies, best to wait for the seeds, but other than that, I have lots of volunteers and I always plant extra.

Marcy, what did they do about the tooth? Hope it isn't giving you any pain. Nothing worse.

I have all my seeds ready, and just waiting until time to get them sown. Last year most of the annuals I planted were from seed, sure saved a bunch of money using seed instead of buying annuals from the nursery.

I didn't do much today, except clear out the bills and bank statements. Course when I do that it affects the check book. Christmas bills coming due.

Columbus, OH

My husband forbid me to use a ghost pepper plant for a Christmas tree. Hmph. They're perennial, and pretty.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.