cattle panel GH w/ zippered door???

Wichita Falls, TX

Yesterday I was researching a cattle panel greenhouse. Spent way too many hours engrossed in this. . . and the one thing I have tried most of today to find -- and cannot! It is someone's idea and picture of finishing the ends with a zippered door. They even mentioned where they found the zippered door. I have gone back and searched everything I did yesterday and it has vanished. I have searched everything I can think of and am not finding it. Does this sound familar to anyone?:

I have a cattle panel arch, using 4 cattle panels up and grew vines on it this summer -- it was beautiful. Now I'd like to attach some vinyl and start some seedlings early, so I can get a jumpstart on my garden -- hoping to beat the TX heat! My plans are to remove the vinyl when summer gets here and replant cypress vines on the arch.

Thanks for any help you may have to offer!

i do cattle panel GH and used the zipper doors
i get them from www.growersolution.com ? around 19.95 ? i think
they worked really well for me and i got the window one too. love that one !
yes i have had things vanish ,

here it is
hope it helps
http://growerssolution.com/page/GS/CTGY/GA

Wichita Falls, TX

Oh, thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU.

I can't wait to get my greenhouse started. I need to get out there on a semi-warmer day and remove all the dried vines (annual).

Did you put wooden supports along the area where the zipper is? I'd love to see pictures.

Thanks so much!

your very very welcome , glad to help
hmm i will look tonight and see if i can dig them up
how long are you planning on making it
mine is 20' L x7'W x 6'H give or take an " or two.
so i have to have corner supports and a 2x4x6 in the center
if your using plastic to a cover , use tape wherever you staple to the base. or the plastic will rip

Wichita Falls, TX

Right now my arch is 4 panels, so that would be about 16'. It is also about 6' tall and I'm thinking 8' wide, but could be 7'.

What kind of tape did you use? Duct? Or the kind they sold at the site you mentioned?

I'd love to see pictures. I've researched this idea so much, I ought to be able to put one together in my sleep -- but, I still feel incompetent. I guess I need to just get started and see what happens.

i couldn't find any pics ? but i do the same type of hoop house for my chickens and i can post pics of that .
may be later in the day until i can get to it. i m not organized with my pics and it takes a while to search them out LOL
regular duct tape. and use a stapler that is staple gun type used for contruction.
its not hard ,but there is some techniques i learned the hard way LOLLL
i would advise getting someone to help , due to its hard to lift the cattle panels and attach them to the frame . trust me ... i know LOLLL

Wichita Falls, TX

I understand about the pictures -- I'm dealing with the same thing -- trying to download some quilt pictures.

Today I attempted to get the vines off -- didn't get very far. Even tried to burn them -- didn't work! Thankfully tomarrow it will be another nice day (60). I'll try again.

Looking forward to seeing your chicken home, maybe I'll do that for mine too. Thanks!

I'm without my comp
Ihad to bring it in to get fixed,so it may be a couple days
Sorry about this. I only have my iPad
Iknow there is a thread somewhere that people have posted pics of ther hoop coops, see if I can dig it up

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

No zippers on my door but I had a cattle panel greenhouse. I took a piece of cattle panel for the door, covered with GH plastic and had hooks and a bar to hold it in place. Seems like zippers would be aggravation and probably fail at the worst possible time.

This was the link to the 'plant haven' in my journal http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/viewentry/115015/ If you scroll down to the 4th photo it shows the outside of the door when closed.

For chickens it may get too hot inside during daytime, better let them out. I found I had to open the door or the plants would scorch.

Another recommendation would be to be sure and get a UV rated plastic or you will be spending more money and time recovering it. I wrapped it with two layers of plastic but if I was to do it again, I would insulate between the layers with bubble wrap.

Good luck on your idea ~ and to you too Taynors with your computer!

Wichita Falls, TX

Thanks podster -- those are great pictures and they definately give me more ideas.

Thus far I have managed to get all the summer's dried vines off. I've learned one thing -- don't use moon vine or hyacinth beans to cover arch if planning on removing. The cypress vine was great to remove.

I've got tomato plants started inside that need some sunshine.

Are you going to provide heat when the plants get a bit larger?

Wichita Falls, TX

podster -- hoping I won't need too. Don't plan to use the GH except in the late winter/early spring. Thinking black water containers should do the job. Of course, I may find out way different when I actually get this thing started. I just read the whole thread on bubble wrap for insulation, may get to try that. And if mother nature really throws us a curve ball, I do have extra blankets.

Now wondering if the idea should be -- lay the bubble wrap on cattle panel, then UV plastic. That should get me through the late winter. Once I'm convinced spring is here, I plan to remove all plastic and plant cypress vine on it and enjoy the shaded area. Wondering where I'll store all that plastic over the summer. I'm sure it will take up a bit of space. . . minor issue.

Tomorrow the sun should shine and be somewhat warmer, hoping to get some basics started.

Thanks for the pictures. I have some pics of my cattle panel arbor under the TX Gardening -- livestock fence panel thread. They were posted this fall (Oct 18, 2010) and are towards the end. I'd give you a link, but I have no idea how.

This message was edited Jan 23, 2011 4:12 PM

Yes, I have read thru that thread. A lady in town has one that she planted edible beans on. It was written up in TX Gardener magazine last year. I scanned the photo so not real clear but will post it here.

Links are pretty easy... if you go to that page you want to link, highlight the address at the top by right clicking the mouse and clicking on "copy" in the menu. Then, come to where you want to post the link and right click and then, click paste. Amazing how talented a computer can be... LOL

Thumbnail by podster

ok got computer back
hmmm i just can't find the thread ?
but since your zone is different then mine, i think podster is a better help :)
yes for chickens i only use plastic for winter. but i m in zone 5 and today is 17 outside brrrr.
and in the summer /spring i cover only half the coop , just for rain protection.
if you get heavy winds make sure your door is on the side so that won't, blow shut and smash all the trays in your hands, full of beautiful little seedlings, to the next county , away. ask me how i know , :(
one problem i did find with the zipper door is opening it with my arms full of trays ect.. kinda tricky. if i put them on the ground and it was muddy then i had a mess. but that is my area is a mud zone in rain. LOL also its easier to zip down then up but that is just me.
love the vine idea pic podster. i have two panels and i know what i will do with them this spring !

Wichita Falls, TX

podster -- I have to try this linking thing:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8162360

This is a picture of my arch the first year.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8162390

This is a picture of it at dusk with the moon flowers in bloom.

Can't wait to take a picture with it as a greenhouse!

taynors -- love the hints on the chicken house. Instead of the plastic, I bet a tarp would work wonders to keep those chicks shaded and out of the rain on one end. But what about the varmits getting in? Do you also put extra fencing around the bottom to keep them out. . . guess you would have to -- just to keep the chickens in. We are getting baby chicks in March. I may need to get busy getting their home ready.

I'd still like to see pictures of your cattle panel creations!

This message was edited Jan 23, 2011 6:43 PM

yes i laid chicken wire underneath, then wraped it around the sides. Used wire to attach it.
i put chicken wire all over my coops.
i learnt the hard the hard way. :(
lost a hole flock

here is the original thread
may help give you some ideas
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/581839/?hl=cattle+panel+hoop+GH

here is my chicken coop
same idea with GH just more plastic and duct tape :)

Thumbnail by

podster that is one sweet GH ! i really like it.

Cool ideas ~ and the links worked. Those were beautiful when loaded with blooms!

And I like the chicken house idea. I have been suffering an urge for more chickens. Hmmm....

You asked about what kind of tape earlier. I used a 3M clear duct tape and it worked far better than the regular duct tape did although it was a bit pricier.

hmmm i will have to see if i can get some of that tape.
always room for more chickens LOL IMHO :)

You know, that tape was still bonding the plastic together when I tore the shelter down. It held better than the plastic did!

More chickens ~ as in, again. Currently out of the chicken business... lol

lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.