Plant Propagation part XXVII based on my own experience

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Hello to everyone and welcome:
To those new to our little chat. Plese feel free ask anything, as we try to keep it simple and fee l/we should always pass along our own knowledge. Lurkers are also welcome. Please check in if possible I would hate to loose someone in one of these switches.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1145786/

As with all of the threads I stat I like to welcome anyone new to our little corner of Daves Garden. Please take the time to read all the past threads. Most of them have some great information in them. There are no dumb questions except for the 1 thats never asked.

Anyone new I highly recomend reading the propagation how to 1/4 of the way down the first incarnation of this thread.we have evolved to a mix of good people having fun and discussing issues we are having at the moment. if you need individualhelp just dmail me I am always glad to help.

Here is the 1st post http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/892721/

the pic is of a a tiger topiary from bush gardens in tampa florida and of course I can not forget to mention my lovely wife Kim

I look forward to some spirited conversation but as mother nature has decided to be nasty this year we will also be chatting about the weather and what we are growing

Dave

thank you for the intrest and welcome

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I found you. Thought by not posting the link you could get away from us didn't you.

LOL, did Kim plan to have her picture taken with the tiger topiary? Did she realize she was color coordinated? Cute picture. of both.

mulege, Mexico

I found you, too.

I meant palm trees. There are a lot of them here. When people remove them they usually end up at the dump where they are burned. I've got lots of places I can use them and I hate to see them burned.

Haven't learned to post a picture.

A kilo is 2.2 pounds.

The sun is out.

hugs, katie

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sorry Katie, I should have known it was palm. But, thought you said you got the dead ones. You didn't did you?

Do you have a digital camera? If not, you really do need one. It is amazing to not have to buy film and then have it developed.

Then it is easy to post pictures.

2.2 pounds for under $20 is very good. Especially for jumbos.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Now I know how much a kilo is when they talk about selling "pot" up here. I put in to grow the medical stuff but have not yet heard what they decided they are going to do. Rutgers
was going to do it but because they get Federal funding they would loose that if they grew the medical marijuana. Then they put it out to only Non Profits could grow it. I am not sure why they wanted that. My SIL nearly had a fit when he knew I requested information on growing it...........I didn't think we would ever be interested in growing it but I was curious to see what kind of security you needed to have on the property, etc., so I ask for information.
He was afraid, our luck, they would give me an application. LOL I am such a bad girl at times. I got a letter saying they were making some changes and they would be back at a later date. So far, nothing. Now he is worried. LOL I would not do it because the
druggies around here would have it all smoked before I would get it harvested. Can't you see me out there with my gun protecting my "pot" field??????? Seriously, I always wanted to know how much a kilo weighed because that is usually what they steal or sell.

We had a restaurant in town where we used to go for breakfast that were selling drugs to the Military, and I was notified because I am military dependent NOT to frequent the place again.
Not long after that, we had another restaurant I used to go to for lunch, that the owners sons were arrested as part of the Fort Dix Six Terrorists. NJ is really a neat place to live. LOL Those kind of people thrive on Military People.

Later Gaters, JB

Pawleys Island, SC

Wow! Jb I can really picture you protecting your field. LOL that was a great mental image.

I found you all.
Katie, Those shrimp sound great. We usually go an throw a cast net for them, but lately, I have been cheating and buy them when they are on sale. a Kilo for less than 20 is an awesome price.

It has been chilly and damp here today, so I have been lazy yet again. I really do need to do something, just haven't had the energy, or inclination this week.We are supposed to go to Mom's tonight for my nephew's bday dinner, but I don't know if we will make it. DS has 2 projects due tomorrow and talked his dad into bringing his "girl / friend" home to help him. They are currently playing x box. Wonder if his grades will survive the project? He is a sophomore this year so I refuse to remind him to do his work. He has got to be responsible for something and his school work is about all we make him do. ( ok, there are a few little jobs he does, but mostly school work.

Great news though, I am waiting on a call from my other nephew, his wife is in labor as I type! we are expecting a little boy any time now. YIPEE!

Gotta go, will check in later.

Sea Ya

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

wow congratulations on the new little one Linda.

JB I am shocked ... you even thinking about that ....lol ... a crop is a crop and the more money the better especially if it even relieves one persons pain. I know if my pain was not controlled by meds I would be looking at anything and everything. i don't care if it was kitty litter or bananna peels . for those who are oblivious to the effects pain have I truely hope they stay oblivious to it.

JB I watch a lot of documentry programs and they put on a college in california for grower's of the medicinal plants. It would be a very profitable crop as its not cheap and the yield is massive. I can see you having seven or eith green houses going in different stages. It could be several hundred thousand dollars a year if done correctly. The site below would be where I would go to learn the "ropes" (he he ...get it ...rope / hemp) lol .. I made a funny

http://www.oaksterdamuniversity.com/

Its amazing what you can find on tv and the internet.

Dave

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Jenette I did fail to answer your question about what I have on order. Below is the list of what I have coming in. Its going to be a fun year as i think this will keep me busier than a 3 legged cat in a room full of rockers. Luckily I have help lined up for planting. I want to get them all planted in 2 days ...1 if possible.

Astibe Bella mix
Coreopsis Rising Sun
Coreopsis Sun Fire
Dianthus Dwarf Mix
Dianthus Indian Carpet Mix
Echinacea Pow Wow Wild Berry
Gaillardia Arizona Sun
Gypsophila repens 'rosea' - pink babies breath
Lavender Munstead
Ajuga Mahogony
Phlox s. Candy Stripe
Phlox s. Emerald Blue
Phlox s. Emerald pink
Phlox s. Scarlet Flame
Perovskia atriplicollia - Russian sage
Veronica Sunny Boarder Blue

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Dave, there is money in it. Here in NJ the rules and regs. are going to be sooooo tough I am not sure how they will do it. I saw dollar marks for sure when I was thinking about it. LOL Money is money if it is legal and it is legal here now for medicinal purposes only.
I learned another thing, part of our law includes the State regulating the strength of the plants you grow. How about that?

When my son had Hodgkin disease he was at USC, They prescribed pot for his nausea.at the University Medical Center. It was not legal, and he had to buy it on the street when he needed it. This was back in the late 70s. He had the prescription in the event he got arrested, but he never did. It helped his nausea but he had never smoked a cig. or anything so he was new at it all. He did not get hooked on it fortunately.

Drugs and Alcohol are dangerous if you have a weakness for them in your family. Fortunately there were no problems in my family or his fathers for either of them.
My family was Spanish and English and his father's was German so it was a wonder there was no problems. LOL

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

lol yes it can be an issue and boy does it make the emotions go wacky.... I wonder how you would limit the strength of it...hmmm someting to make you go hummmmm
it sounds like a similar make up as mine scottish/english, german, native american and dutch

well now I have a new problem... getting enough flats by week after next.... oh well its only $$$$ lol
Dave

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Dave how do you start the URCs? In water or rooting material of some kind or another? Why couldn't you put several together in a container of whatever it is you use? Then plant when they get rooted?

It sounds like Dawn's brugs I sent her at the same time I sent you yours Dave are going great guns. She thought last week that they might be budded!! I am so excited to see if that is the case as that is what I was trying for when I took all the cuttings from above the Ys.

JB, you are hilarious. Your poor SIL. Did you do that to pull his chain? I hope not as it sounds like you get along pretty good. Wonder if I could buy direct? LOL. I think the states that passed that law are so forward thinking. Oregon has it I believe. Another thing they have in Oregon that I think is a real good thing is legal "assisted suicide". Think that is what they call it. By a doctor.

Only thing I see wrong with it is that I think you have to be a resident of that state. Well, think I'll hang it up, ttyl

What time is your appt. tomorrow JB?

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Bags are packed to move with you, hope I didn't miss the plane, got a late start, couldn't find a crate large enough for Storm. hehehe
I did arrive, and am lurking.
Lee

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Montana is legal also. They are having territory problems tho. Seems like some of the stores that sell it are too close to schools, and someone didn't think of adding that stipulation to the law. I think I read where they have a moritorium on any new locations until they settle that.
Geez Dave, do you think that would help with Mr Sciata?????? Tried it when I was younger, didn't like it much then, so probably wouldn't like it now either.:) :) :) Oh well JB, guess there won't be a customer here. Visually it would be a trip just watching you protect your crop tho.
Jeanette, wish you would quit with the sno already. Enough is enough. Was 45 here today, but they say your weather will hit some time Saturday. Not looking forward to that. Still have lots of snow on the ground and I know it will be ice come the colder weather. Wasn't warm long enough to melt it all, so now it will be worse.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I will be doing them like I do with the cuttings I take here at home. 2 to 3 per pot. it will make it easier on space. phlox is so forgiving so its going to be fun figuiring out how many flats i need.
Dave

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I am here, just been lurking. Took Vern to Internist tomorrow and got an immediate referral to a Neurologist. His right foot will not do what he wants it to do and his right shoulder is lower than his left. When he is standing and closes his eyes he immediately falls backward. Appointment with the Neurologist is on Wednesday, the 12th.

He drove to the doctors appointment. Now that is a scary experience. Oh well, he is happy when he is driving his sports car.

I did some housework today and got rid of some fry pans that were past their use. I read an article about how bad non-stick pans are when they have nicks in them. Well I looked at mine and they were terrible. And I had way to many anyway. So I pitched 6 and replaced them with 4 new ones.

I had a wonderful moment early today. I noticed the hummingbird feeder in the front landscape was empty. I brought it in, cleaned, refilled and was just putting in back on the tree branch when I was buzzed by a hummingbird. I did not see it but I heard it. When I was finished I stepped back about 20 steps and in came a hummingbird. Must have been really hungry. But I did have on a very bright red sweatshirt.

I should be completely finished with cleaning the house by Saturday. I am doing a total de-clutter but some areas are worse than others. The kitchen is in good shape because I did a major de-clutter last year. Some one just stopped by, I will return. Sharon.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I got my magazines that Evelyn sent me and seeds that Jeanette sent me. It is like Christmas again. The magazines will more than likely go to the beach with me this weekend. I can't wait to eat Sea Food mmmm!

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I have discovered a way to get rid of the magazines I do not want. I took 3 or 4 different magazines in to the clinic when I went the other day. Garden Gate and the Do It Yourself mags. Do you know what was there the next day? The GG.

I did that before to a different dr office and the receptionists were fighting with the patients over them and they were gone before I could get them off my lap. In fact I was looking at one and told a patient she could have it. She saw what I was looking at and asked me where I got it. Then the receptionist jumped up and came out and went thru all the old crappy mags they had there and said she was going to throw them away.

I don't have the patience to get rid of them on ebay, Evelyn. I hate packing and mailing them. I wish we could get the mailing bags I get my meds in. I save them and Bob seals them with the food saver machine. If they don't seal I staple them and then tape over that.

That is what I sent Dawn's seeds in, using a med. bottle in a bag. Bob mailed it and I just asked him what it cost and he doesn't remember. It was last week.

Also, if I get any clothes I bought on line they come in those bags. I just re-use them.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I use all my old magazines in my woodchip compost pile or bury them in the ground, where I am not planting food. To bring worms and make my soil better. I also use my olf phone books and junk mail that does not have any important or sensitive info on them.
My friend always asked me for them. I always said I have too many and all her magazines are Allure and Red Book type, which I am not into. I finally took them and decided to add to my chip pile. Happy ending.

BTW I have done several projects with the torn paper. My fire place and a small wall. I just don't know if I want or like it enough to make it permanent by waxing or eurothane.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Sad day in my home. My youngest brother's wife went in for an angioplasty this morning and died during the procedure. She was 63 and 1/2 hour into the procedure everything went wrong. This is my baby brother. I just spent 4 hours at the hospital, as she lied there in the room so all the relatives and her children could come say goodbye.

Cremation tomorrow and then the big Mason Funeral. My brother is a big muchi much with the Masons. He is devastated. She had a bad treadmill test and they recommended the procedure.

I know JB is already on her way for her test so we are OK. I have had very many many friends have this procedure but today it was a bad one. My baby brother is so crushed I probably will not be on for a few days. My other brother who is a year younger than myself just had knee surgery. I may need to drive up to our home own to get him tomorrow.

First time in my life I had someone die I was not expecting to die. My heart is breaking for my Baby Brother. I am sorry to burden you with this but you are my friends. Sharon.

mulege, Mexico

Sharon, I am so sorry to hear this news. I'll be praying for you and your family.
katie

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

No Sharon, I am not on the way, but it is o.k. There must have been a lot of complications
with the poor woman. I am so sorry for your loss. JB

Pawleys Island, SC

Sharon, I am so sorry for your loss! Will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Sharon I am also sorry for your loss. I know how tough it is to lose some one unexpectedly like that. I will keep you in my prayers.
Dave

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Sharon, add me to the rest. I am so sorry for you and your brother. What a sad time for all of you. Please know my heart and soul are with you and yours. I know what you are feeling. Prayers are also going out to you and yours.
Lee

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

So sorry Sharon, if there is anything we can possibly do let us know. It is very tough to lose someone so close. Your brother must be terribly hurt. I think we are all destined to live forever. I'm with you. Unreal I know.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Oh my heart goes out to you guys. I will pray for all of you who suffer her sudden loss.

My grandma's heart exploded during her Angiogram. I am deathly afraid of them. Now I will be even more. I heard that there is another less invasive procedure available now and most places don't offer it because it cost them too much. Sad world we live in now.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Thank you all. Yes, we are all shocked. My brother, that is one year younger than me got here this afternoon. That is good because he and our baby brother are best friends. He will not be here for the funeral because he is having knee replacement surgery.

The funeral is not until next Friday because all the high mucky muck Masons need to get here from nationwide. My baby brother is a high mucky muck Mason. My sister and I tell him this all the time. I did not go over this evening because there were over 30 people there and that would have driven me right up the wall. I will go over tomorrow morning when all the grandchildren are in school. My sister will be coming in sometime next week. Probably late Wednesday. She lives in Ventura so they are driving.

Vern is all upset now because he is worried something will happen to me then he will be by himself. I told him not to worry. If something did happen to me he could go live with his daughter.

I knew one of would go eventually but I actually thought it would be me or Vern because we are the oldest. Not the youngest one of us.

The landscapers were here today and picked up mall the leaves and cut back the shrubs that froze. It looks like the freezing temperatures are gone. We are suppose to be in the 60s sometime next week. That is good because I have some digging to do and get my bulbs that are in the fridge planted.

I was i the garage garden area and admiring the tropical hibiscus blooms. Then I noticed something on the buds that had not bloomed yet. APHIDS. Grey. I squashed them with my fingers. I will check tomorrow. I have a phone call. I will return. Again. Thank you very much. Sharon

mulege, Mexico

You are still very much in our prayers, Sharon. Sounds like you are very strong. I hope you will allow yourself the time to grieve whne you are able. Let the others shoulder some of the burden.

I am up early this morning - 5:30. I wonder if the anti-depressant medication is kicking in. Sure hope so as most of last year was pretty rough.

My new credit card is still not here. Luckily, I have a good friend who will loan me any amount of money until it gets here. I need the cash to pay Tony and utilities, can run a note for groceries at the friend's store.

Visited my friend Jon who lives accross the rroyo yesterday. He's had the flu off and on for several weeks. I filled him in on the situation with my neighbors which gave him a lot of laughs. They have owed him money for about a year so he is not sympathetic with them. It's too bad for them. This is a small town and it does not pay to alienate too many people. Neighbor Dana sent me an email the other day: 'Haven't seen you in weeks. How was Christmas .." I did not respond to her but wrote to a couple of friends. One from DG quickly responded "She's goading you." It was perfect feedback and the smoke stopped coming out of my ears. I've not responded. And won't.

When the sun comes up I'll be able to go down and work in the arroyo. I need to use the pic and shovel to make some flat paths. Tony helped me with some prep work yesterday. I am so lucky to have him here.

It's starting to feel like spring here. From October to May is a mix of fall. winter and summer. We hardly ever get a freeze but it does get quite chlly sometimes especially in the early morning.

I have years' collections of seeds which I am going through. Tony has cleared the area around my outdoor bath tub. I've put in alloes and agave which will help keep the Bermuda grass at bay. With the area cleared I can put some morning glories and other climbers by the fence. The bouganviallas that are in the tire wall half-way down the arroyo are doing well. I think I'll be able to propogate them by layering. So much to do, so little energy.

Sharon, remember to take care of yourself.

hugs, katie

P.S. I'm so glad I found this thread.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sharon, I don't think age has anything to do with it as long as you take care of yourself, which I believe you do. Activity is the best thing you can do. Best for the mind also.

I have always felt that when it is my time to go, I will go. No matter how. A tree may fall on me, or a bird. Whatever. I just hope it is not someone else's time to go with me. LOL, not that I want to go alone.just don't want to be the cause of someone else going. But there goes my theory right?

My, what a gruesome topic.

Katie, I love the bougainvilleas. They are so beautiful down there 'cause your climate makes them bloom continuously. And, they take so little care it is just amazing. Tony sounds like a dear being so much help to you.

What kind of seeds do you plant besides the morning glories? Will they be perennials like the Bougies?

It is nice hearing about your area also. I don't recall a problem with your neighbor, might have missed it. Hope it isn't real bad, it is no fun having a constant irritant right next door. What is the antidepressant you are on?

Have a good day,

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well guys, I spent the day at my baby brother's home. He was doing much better today but that was because he was busy. About 6 young family members put ALL the Christmas decorations back it the boxes and put it away. She had purchased a bun ch of decorations, we think, the day aftyert Christmas. There was a stack in an extra bedroom with the tags still on them.

Some toys were also there, just purchased, probably for grandchildren birthdays.

All the grandchildren were there. Oldest 13, youngest 1. Her two sisters and their husbands, and other individuals I did not kn ow. All the men were watching Seattle and New Orleans and they were all rooting for Seattle because they were the under dogs. My other brother was there and it seemed just like another football weekend except Karen was not there. I think that football game helped my baby brother more than any counseling could have ever done.

I am with you Jnette as far as when you go, you go. But I do not want to be next to the person who's time is to go and I am just there in the wrong place. That would be a bummer.

Katie, is your bath tub for decoration or do you use it?

I am still trying to think of a response for your neighbor. "ZHow was your Christmas? "Christmas, is it really that time of year"??
another idea. "Where am I, who are you"?

Come on you guys, let us help Katie with a response to this crazy neighbor.

I have another tomorrow at brother's home and then Monday I have appointments and Monday night a Board Meeting. My sister is coming in Wednesday.

I was on the other "C" group and ordered a bunch of rain lilies. They also have many cannas and amaryllis.

I also got a new catalog today. Not a good thing. 2011 Spring Sales Catalog and Plant Owner's Manual, dba Plant Delights Nursery, at Juniper Level Botanic Gardens. Phone call. I will return. .

mulege, Mexico

Sharon. remember to take time to do your own grieving if you need to.

I've come up with tow possible responses for my neighbor:
1) I've been working on cleaning up the dust and cobwbbs you'r always mentioning.
2) I've been out telling everyone in town why you didn't invite me to your party.

However, since she seems to thinkn I'm dumb I have decided to go with the dumb and dumber appraoch:

3) Well, Tony I have just been real busy. There's so much work to do here..

As a result of my conversation with her a couple of very old and verypainful memories about feeling isolated survaced with a vengence. I have been thinking about them and may write about them someday but not here. Very painful to put it mildly. I amy write to a friend.

When I lived in town I made a point of going out walking and doing errands every day or two. I was ther for about five years and I gradually got to know and be friends with a lot of my neighbors as well as a lot of people who have business. I have takne plant starts to lots of people. I do this to try to increase the number of food plants that are grown locally and don't regard it as a big deal. Much as I do my Santa thing at Christmas to help me have another sober and maybe happy Christmas.. In both cases, the good will that results is a secondary blessing. For whatever reasons, there are many local people who are very fond of me. I'm kind of a recluse but when I'm out and about I'm friendly without being pushy. Over the years this has gained me some good will.

In short, if I wanted to make trouble for the nighbors I could plant a few nasty seeds. BUT they are my neighbors nad, even better, I don't feel like escalating the problem. If she comes over I will play dumb. She is not the friend that I'd hoped she was and there's no point beating a dead horse - or relationship. Frankly, I've been hurt far worse than what she did and if, by doing what she did, it helps me to bring up and exorcise wome old memories I can only thank her.

I would not dream of trying to explain to her how much she hurt me. What could I say to a person who says, "We had fifty-three people over for dinner last night. Would you like the leftovers?" She did nothing to explain until months later when I could no longer keep myself from asking. It was a large part of how bad last year was for me. Now that I know how petty they are especially after I have done everything I can to be a good neighbor to them - well, now that the pain has passed, I find I'm largely relieved not to be trying to socialize with them.

I don't want war. Just separation. One of my friends in the Accessible Gardening Forum has named the neighbor the Goad Toad. So when I think of her I picture that and laugh.

Neighbor Jon was sick with the flu so I had Tony take him a get well bag of citrus fruit yesterday. Getting to Jon's house is a short drive or an awkward walk through the arroyo so I don't see him often. Like Mel, I know he's close by if I jsut make the effort of opening the gate and taking my van out. With my ankle better I'll also soon be able to walk to the two restaurants of my friends near the beach. I take them lemons.

Maybe I should start writing about some of the weird people who live here.

For the moment, it looks like a lazy Sunday

A few of my seeds are starting to sprout. I have all kinds. From trees to annuals and everything in between. Right now I have lots of dragon fruit and other epis grown from cuttings and lots of adeniums grown from seed. On other threads I'v seen picture of adeniums that hare probably hundreds of years old. I watch my little seedlings and dream. This is a good climate for them. I have so many that it's another that I'll be passing around as they get bigger.

I live on a small hilltop with arroyo on three sides. On the fourthe side is the access road and a very wide drive way area between me and my neighbors.

My fantasy is that I live in the center of a flower. My work here is to fill in the petals and leaves of the flower while my house is in the center, gradually getting covered with vines and dragon fruit. It seems to be a very Mexican way of life. Work on the house gets done as we have the time, energy and money. But it's not a big deal. While my neighbor may want to nag me about the dust in my house I am blissed out by a tree which I grew from seed that is now thirty feet tall and about to bloom and produce more seed. It's s chotia. Might be the only one in The Baja. But not for long.

hugs all around, katie

mulege, Mexico

p.s. In spite of an almost endless post I forgot to answer at least one question. My bathtub is a big round tub of the type used to water cattle. I do use it. My city water comes out in pipes that are barely below ground level and the temperature of the water is tepid when it gets here. Like most Mexicans. I don't have a hot water heater. I can fill the tub and then have a tepid bath or shower with a garden hose. A couple of the perks of lving alone and answering only to myself. kb

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

argh !!!!! lost my post so I will have to post later today about my visit and all.
anyone wanting any of my DL's i call ditch lilies please let me know as i am starting a list of what to ship out right after I plant all my plugs the 1st week of april. I am going to rework my DL bed this spring as I want to be able to concentrate on pie crust and strongly edges plants i like the contrast in color on the DL's. here is a pic of the ditch lilies.
time for my nap.... yea I know its only 11:30 but we had visitors and I had to dog sit for my mom so my night of sleep as more like up every 2 hours ... so I am bushed ... and no I don't need to be trimmed..... I am a spring flowering bush.

If you could be any flowering plant what would you be and why?
Dave

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Katie:
Its sounds like a good thing to take the high road and just try to forget about the classless women. doesn't she know you invite the neighbors so no one calls the police because of the noise. It sounds like a nice container of bermuda would be a nice addition to her landscape. I used to joke about spreading the wild basically uncultured barmuda grass in sand traps on a golf course.

the pic is more what I am going for in my DL bed

well more to follow later this afternoon
ttfn
Dave

Yahoo ... found the one I had thought had disapeared into cyber space

This message was edited Jan 9, 2011 12:38 PM

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Katie i am sorry but i missed the bad part of what the neighbor has done or said. personally i would just tall her I've been ill and that xmas was great got time to visit with family and friends. How was your xmas?
for some reason i feel like I missed something that they said or did that was not nice. Personally i love to make people wonder why tjey did not upset me especially with people that like to play games and stir stuff up so they can sit back and watch. it really bums them out to not have you participate in their games.
well we have snow predicted for today through wednesday. the high today 30 low teens with windchill of close to zero.

I had a wonderfull visit with my family in florida. i got to reconect with cousins I have not seed in over 10 years. My step aunt got married and has gotten her advanced degree's I am not sure if she has her phd but I know she has her masters and teaches both via internet and in the classroom. speach, conflict resolution and communications are the subjects she teaches.her new hubby is a phd and does conflict resolutions and negotiations with different big companies as well as a few nations. he did one in swedan.
Her brother hosted the xmas gift exchange and dinner. we over ate but what else is new. I did cut down on my plates this year. instead of four plates I only had 2 so I think I am on my way to a good diet. I am trying to take less and let it settle and then if I still am hungery in an hour or two then I get something small like a yogurt or bananna.
My grand father is looking very tierd and sleeps most of the day and night. but hey he is 90 i think if he wants to nap then he should, he has earned it. he keeps busy with his tomatoes and okra. anyone familiar with okra?? its one of those veggies that a little is good but too much and you are overwhelmed.
My grandfather has his tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets and on wheels. he put in a timer for the 2 double bulb florescent fixture. Its on a pulley system so he can raise it and lower at will. he replaces the plants when they get woody. when we were there he had new buds and lots of fruit. the only thing i would do different would be to insulate the garage a bit more than it is...ok it has no insulation on the overhead door. It was fun finding new tomatoe starts at HD. they had everything covered up because of the cold weather earlier in the week but we just unsnapped the cover and picked out the best looking one.
our family is one of those that is different in structure as my grandfather married his wife when I was 14 and she is 20 years younger than he is. she take great care of my grandfather and he is very lucky to have her to look after him. On her side she brought in 3 kids all yonger than I am so I have aunts and uncles younger than I am. I think it speaks volumes that they have been married for over 34 years.

Sharon Plant delights is a wonderfull catalog, they have a lot of different things that are on the more difficult side of hard to find. I think this year my goal is to add lady slippers and more rain lilies to my flower beds. I think I will put a few phlox out in the front hosta bed as well as some different dianthus and some of the more hardy snapdragons. my goal is to eliminate the annual pansies and to expand the bed in front of the red tip photinia as there is no room for anything to be planted in front of them. I have to slowly chip away at the turf as kim really likes it and I am not a huge fan of bermuda grass. it tends to get into everything. its tough to get out of the daylily bed as roundup will kick it in the rear and wipe it out all the work I have done on my DL bed.
I am looking forward to it this year (DL bed) as it will be its 3rd year. ok anyone want any of what I call my ditch lily? Please dmail me so I can get a list going. i would like to be done with DL's by the time my plugs come in. the plugs are suposed to arive the 1st week of april. I supose I can hold some of them for the last 2 weeks of the month if I need to. see the pick attached. they get long and are a nice orange color. I just like the more contrasting colored ones with pie crust and edge color on them.
Katie I don't know what the restrictions are for sending plant material into mexico so if you want any please find out what needs to be done to get them through customs. I know on my visit to cancun and cozumel they are really funny about plants, fruit and beef coming into mexico. I can understand it because the envirornment is such that one thing gets through and its out of controll the moment it hits the ground

.I may be reworking my DL bed to fine tune it which means I may have some splits available of some of my other DL's. I know Merry Moppett has got to go as its too big for my available space.
I hope everyone manages to skate through this weather unfazed. Its wierd. we have snow advisory for the top 1/3nw corner of the state as well as the upper counties that meet up with Kansas. the other advisory is for the bottom SE corner of the state. The SE corner always get the weather because it part of the Ouachita Mountains go through it and there are some deep vallies and tall cliffs. its very natural and unspoiled. the black bear have made a comeback and they have opened up a very limited hunt for them so that the balance is kept in check. we also have puma (mt lion), fox, beaver and a lot of other live creatures. we had a neighbor set up a night motion sensored camera and it got pics of cyote and gray fox in our neighborhood.... here Kitty kitty kitty

well thats about it for now I will try to post pics later today and this following week ... ok the pic was the wrong one so I will have to repost it but at least i found the text above so all in all I a ok
Dave

This message was edited Jan 9, 2011 12:40 PM

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I missed the issue with Katie's neighbor also Dave. I have gone back a few times but never did find it. Oh well, I get the message.

Sorry it is like that. 'cause neighbors can be a big help to each other. But, then there are other issues also.

But, I guess that is why I am no help in your seeking responses Katie.

Well, gotta get busy. We watched the Seattle/NO game yesterday also Sharon and it was really fun because of course, being from Seattle, we were rooting for them also. Especially aggravating was how the color commentator kept saying how terrible a record the Seahawks had and yet he says "it was the funnest game he has seen all year". Dumb S***.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I too missed the post about the neighbor. If I am gone for a couple of days, it's just too much for me to read through.

Louisiana is having bad weather today also. North La. has a possibility of snow.

Anyone has some pics of lovely home garden beds that work for them?

PBear, please send us some pics of your DL beds during warm days.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Katie ~ I think that Dave has the right approach for your neighbor. Pretend that there is no problem at all. Also, write that letter, to her, but just don't mail it. Write down how it made you feel and all the other details. then re-read it, then burn it. Your problem will be gone! If you don't let the things She says bother you, then, she can't hurt you.
I had a person like that in high school. he bugged me for 4 years! I found her recently on facebook and told her that it all is in the past. I rarely use facebook but many former classmates of mine just before our 50th reunion, emailed me a lot and were all on facebook, so I went there briefly. It takes up too much time to keep up with everything anyway, and I am on slow dial-up, so I rarely go there.

Peg ~ How is your weather today?

Dave ~ If you have that peach-colored daylily or two, that would be great for spring. Is it snowing there? I heard that your part of the country has had some bad weather, but it is hard to tell on the weather forecasts.

Sharon ~ It will be a while for your brother to really have all that sink in as the absence of a spouse is horrific. My prayers will be with you and your family.

Jeanette ~ I did not watch the game and did not keep up with it, so have no idea what to say. How is the snow now? Is it still snowing there? So far, we have had several days of mostly sun, though cold and windy, with clouds following. So far, no precip.

JB ~ What is your weather now?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Katie, what do you think her point was when she asked you if you wanted some of the leftovers from her party which you obviously were not invited to? I take it this was not the first issue you have had with her? Then you must have an idea what she meant by it.

Evelyn, does that really work, or is it a bit Pollyanna ish? Just curious because I am sure there are times when I might have profited from it rather than sticking my big foot in my mouth if it does.

You don't need to say anything Evelyn, LOL, a lot of people do not follow football so few would know, or care, what I meant by the last. JB would, and Sharon would. Probably. Know that is.

Yes, I remember the peach one was very pretty. I just do not have any more room for any daylillies. They do spread out and I started out with a few plants given to me 2 years ago, I think 2 fans each at the most, and my goodness they have multiplied.

Evelyn, do you look to see who they are saying are looking for you on facebook? You get those too obviously. I don't even bother. I suppose I probably should. Just out of curiosity more than anything. Probably wouldn't even answer.

When it was getting close to my 50th class reunion (can you believe that??) I was getting messages from a fellow that was class president then and he had just recently retired as a federal judge. It was in the newspaper just prior to that time. I probably should have at least congratulated him on his career and retirement, but at the time I was not on facebook and didn't want to get started on another computer time killer. Know what I mean???

ttyl,

mulege, Mexico

You know, I actually think that she thought that offering me the leftovers would make up for her not inviting me to the party. Really hard to understand. And at this point I don't care. Her "apology" ended any interest I had in trying to be friends with her.

Some people just react to me as if I were stupid and/or not to be treated like "real" people. The upside of the strange effect I have on some people is that children and dogs tend to relate to me as if I was one of them. I'll take the children and dogs over my neighbor any time.

My father was an elected official and I had incidents of being snubbed by people who feslt themselves superior to me only to ge greeted warmly by the most important people at the function, while the would-be "superior" people were ignored. I've met enough truly important people (not necessarily elected officials) to know that my neighbor's behavior says far more about her than it does about me.

I've recently started taking Wellbutrin along with Prozac. Sometimes the Wellbutrin upsets my stomach. Today is one of those days. Spent most of the afternoon in bed napping.

I've been reading online seed catalogs. I really enjoy JLHudson.net. There is a definate personality behind the write-ups. I also like that they give you an idea of ow difficult the seeds are to germinate. They are the people I sent my schotia seeds to.

I'm still looking for my George Carlin tapes.

I usually get plants when I'm in the States and bring them back in my van. I don't take plants into the States. There doesn't seem to be any problem with seeds but I don't ask a lot of questions.

When non-commercial people send me seeds they label them as "collectibles." So far no problems. Hudson sent me seeds once and there was no problem so I think seeds are OK.

My hollyhock seeds a sprouting. I have lots of fences so I'm happy about that. I really have to go through the seeds I have and see what will grow before I order more. I should anyway. Guess most of us say that. So many seeds, so little time.

hugs, katie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.