Coleus

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I'm thinking I can't resist chocolate mint coleus seeds this year. I know they'd be an annual here. Anyone grown them with any kind of luck? How do they fare against slugs, bunnies, deer?

Lake Stevens, WA

I grow coleus all the time. It is a wonderful food for the slugs. I have mine in pots. No rabbits or deer here so can't say about that.

I start them in the greenhouse with bottom heat. I made the mistake of putting mine out in the cold spring. Wrong!! They like warm temps. So when you get your started keep them above 60.

Check over on the coleus forum to see my cuttings. Think they are under hydrponic over wintering coleus.

Good luck with your seeds

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Cisco said chocolates can be over-wintered inside. They have a sort of tuber. My try didn't work but would like to try again.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I have grown colius for may years here in Portland, Oregon. I put them in pots because the slugs love them as much as hostas. Make sure not to put them out while there is still a chance of freezing. They do not like the cold at all.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Whoops, I was thinking cosmos, sorry.

Village of Port Clem, Canada

Bottom HEat! Yah.... I needed to know that thanks!

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

I have been successful overwintering one with bottom heat under it all winter long in the greenhouse that I keep at a minimum of 50 degrees. Those that I don't give bottom heat to usually don't make it. And, yes, they do need hot weather for sure. They do a lot better in warmer climes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.