Shelves - There has got to be a better way

Midlothian, VA

So now I am stuck with these shelves which are nice and sturdy, but it occurs to me that I am going to have issues with the sun being blocked on all shelves but the top. No matter how I turn them, I can seem to come up with a solution. I will be moving in seedlings that are being started in the house in a few weeks. Any suggestions on how to orient these shelves to get more light?

Thumbnail by Indi1
St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

One thing I've used is aluminum foil and those metallic emergency blankets to put on the back and bottom of the shelves to reflect any light. I had success that way with putting my shade plants on the far wall and my sun plants on the sun wall. I keep all my supplies on the bottom shelves, and also rotate my trays. I've only used two levels, not three.

Midlothian, VA

I think I may try the emergency blankets. I found a pretty good deal on Amazon.
Cathy4, You mentioned you used two shelves, not three so I may take the top shelf off of all of them. That also gives me about 5 more units (not sure where I will put them). Thanks

Johns Island, SC

The emergency "space" blankets work real well for me, Indi1. They also reflect heat, so I burn less propane (not much...a couple of gallons a month, but every little bit helps).

Midlothian, VA

I will definitely give the blankets a try. Thanks for the help.

Central Pa, United States

My greenhouse is not this big and I only have 6 feet across...so I bought kitchen supply shelves that have a LOT of open space and are stainless steel...will post a picture tomorrow..when I can take one with the sun up.

My pictures of my new greenhouse

Thumbnail by Hallchinalady

Another

And the other side.....I have a trough for planting and a shelf to add over it as it's needed...the shelf will be on legs and above it quite a bit so it doesn't interfer with the plantings below.

Midlothian, VA

Very nice!

Johns Island, SC

Not sure there's a cut-and-dried answer to this issue. I've found that using the top of the benches for the higher-light requirement plants and putting the shade lovers on the lower shelves...in most cases on the floor of the GH under the benches... generally works for all concerned. This works for "hobbyist" GH, but not for commercial growers. You don't get "maximum" growth from any of them, but ALL survive the winter confinement and come out roaring in the spring. (You still have to adapt all the plants to real sunlight when you move them out in the spring... found that out in year one)! And sometimes, you just get lucky...I got a first flower this year on an epiphylum that I'd been nursing along for 7 years and was about to give up on. Glad I didn't! ("Gonway's Giant"...got it from Logees)...the blossum was huge, striking, and well worth the wait. Only problem is, I have no clue as to why it chose to blossum at this time... I moved it to a "more light" spot on the upper bench this fall. But is "that" what made it bloom? Who knows? I think that's what keeps us "plant people" alive...trying to figure things out...

Stono, my hybrid geraniums decided to flower, in the middle of ice, snow and bitter cold, and not a bit of sunshine. I had to chip my way into the GH to water and found the surprise.

Hollywood, FL(Zone 11)

What do you all have in the greenhouse as a floor? I'm asking cause I bought a 8' x 24' Rion greenhouse and as soon as gets warm enough here; I want it up asap. My husband is thinking of putting a rubber mulch on top of the landscape plastic. I will be most grateful to everyone's suggestion/ideas.

Thanks!

Midlothian, VA

I've always used regular driveway gravel and never had any issues with it. Shown in first photo in this thread.

Mine is concrete, easy to sweep out and hose down. The slab was there from an old shed when we moved here so I didn't have to decide.

Hollywood, FL(Zone 11)

Thanks Indi1 and cathy for the input.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

For shelving, I built my own out of treated 2x4s and that green rubber coated fencing.

My flooring is also driveway gravel which I believe most in the trade call 5/8ths or 58s. I put down 15 mil plastic before putting down the rocks. It is possible for things to root or come up through landscape fabric then it's a bear to get them out without ripping it.

I have stone with brick on top....easy to sweep and keep clean but will let the water thru....In the one in the picture...the greenhouse on the front of our house just has cracker dust with brick on top...no real"floor" to speak of....and it's also to let the moisture thru....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.