January 2011

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

The only way to keep deer out is to do a 2 or 3 layer fence. The outside fence would be the highest, the second fence would be a foot or two away and about a foot lower than the other fence. It confuses the deer and they think they can't jump it. They use this method at powell gardens around their fruit tree areas to keep deer out. Works great too!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Yesterday we had January thaw and it got up to 40°. I don't believe my morning weather report said that!

Will, the bamboo looks pretty hardy to me. Maybe too hardy, LOL! Is that the one you will be running after pruning?

If you are ever in the country and see a folded over snowdrift, like an ocean wave, look close. There is a blue color in the shadows. I don't think that's what your camera is capturing, but it is so cool on the drifts. Plus, blue is much better than the pinkish cast I get.

You can't believe the stuff people will do. Shady they are and they mean to be.

Deer are everywhere and jump pretty high. They do like to follow a timberline and hide most of the day.

We sat about a mile out of town and took pictures. If you look over the blue building, the Catholic Church is behind it. I zoomed. This isn't with digital zoom added, so it's clear.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Zoomed x35

Thumbnail by billyporter
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, I'll be running that Bamboo down with pruners eventually.
I will reward myself with a chocolate milkshake after doing so! : )
Good pictures billyp. For zooming that much, it looks clear. I'm no expert in cameras, but I do know a good photo!
Anybody want to hazard a guess at what this tree is? It's the tall, narrow evergreen in the photo.
Will

This message was edited Jan 30, 2011 12:02 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, I've been seeing trees like that in the north and north east. Black Spruce is a good place to start.

I'm real happy with the zoom! I still need to get an eagle or hawk to see detail. I didn't even take the camera when we took the boys home because I am so sick of hazy, snowy, cloudy pictures. All my test shots look the same. Christmas isn't a good time to buy and evaluate a camera, LOL!

Major snow headed our way over the next three days and I have a lot to do before then.

Have a great day all!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Black Spruce eh? Thanks.
I got my snow shovel ready dangit!
Will

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, that's one opinion. I may be wayyy off base.

It started to flurry here around 11:00 am and we had the wind blowing the old snow around. We've just begun I fear.

Will, I think your snow shovel is gonna have a major workout tomorrow. lol

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, I don't think a shovel is going to cut it, LOL!

LOL!! Probably not.

I-70 closed from KC to St. Louis. I need to make a new thread for Feb.

THREAD CLOSED!!! PLEASE GO TO FEBRUARY'S THREAD!!! THREAD CLOSED!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1152788/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.