Rooting Rose cuttings

Athens, PA

Do any of you know if I can root rose cuttings this time of year? Have any of you tried it? If so, what has worked for you and what has not worked for you?

I was reading that they like a 50/50 mix of perlite and potting soil. I figure that I really have nothing to loose other than the rose cuttings.....

I would appreciate your thoughts..

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I have never done it this time of year but my mother use to take her trimmings in the spring and stick them in the ground with a mason jar over top of them.
Roses are the one plant I can't grow, I don't know how many I killed.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't know much about roses. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will answer you.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

So far I've not been able to root any of my rose cuttings. This fall I bought "root pots" from a tree farmer in Pennsylvania. They are placed on a bush and one of the stems goes thru the pot and sets roots. Can't wait to try it because I have lots of bushes that are out of patent.

something like this:

http://www.compostmania.com/Rooter-Pots-Propagation-for-Trees-Vines-Shrubs

Athens, PA

Terri

Keep me posted on how well this works. I keep thinking if you haven't been successful in rooting rose cuttings, then I have will be surprised if I can do it!

OK but don't go by my attempts because there are people who are at least 50% successful and I'm trying hybrid teas which are difficult to begin with.

Pittsburgh, PA

I don't think this time of year is good for growing cuttings, spring is probably a better time.

Layering is a good way to make more rose plants. This type of layering can be used on many plants

Choose a young shoot that you can bend to reach the ground.

Layering involves burying part of the stem, gently loosen the ground underneath the shoot you wish to layer. Add peat moss or compost to the soil.

Prepare the stem. Pick a spot about halfway along the stem where a leaf meets the shoot. Make a small cut at that point, then remove leaves close to the cut, apply rooting hormone to the cut.

Pin down the shoot,with an earth staple or make one out of a piece of a coat hanger to pin the stem to the soil . Making sure the cut spot makes contact with the soil. Once your shoot is secure, mound soil over the cut part of the stem. Keep the stem watered. Check monthly for root growth.

When the stem develops roots it can be cut from the mother plant. You may want to keep the stem growing for two growing seasons to have a more stable plant that may survive with a little less care. This new plant must be given special care. Keep a close eye on it's development.

Sounds like a less expensive way to do the same thing that the rooting pots do, obliqua. I definitely will try this starting in spring.

Thank you!!

Teri

Crossville, TN

My Mother could do the same as Ladygardener's Mother...I think that is a true "Green Thumb" person that can do that! Mom never even thought about how difficult starting Roses was...It was so simple for her. Jo

I was just wondering if these methods work well with hybrid tea rose, which is most of what I have.

Pittsburgh, PA

I know the rose cutting under the jar system was used on any type of rose, although I never tried it. My grandmother used that method and my friend's father, they were very successful in starting new plants. I have a two climbing rose 'peace' plants started by my friend's dad. They have been growing for 10 years, atleast, and are very healthy.

The layering method can be used on any plants that have long stems or branches that can be pinned to the soil. It is reliable
especially of you allow the new plant to stay connected to the mother plant for two seasons. It then has time to develop an extensive root system.

Hope this helps.

Judy

I will definitely try it on as many bushes as possible! Thanks Judy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.