Crown rot?

Sumter, SC

I have many pindo palms (butia capitata) growing on my property, and many of them show signs of crown rot each spring, but they always "outgrow" it by summer. This Dec here in central SC was brutally cold, with many lows in the teens - coldest am low was 12f! I was out surveying the damage and was surprised to see what I believe is crown rot already showing up in 5 of my 14 pindos. Wondering if my diagnosis is correct, and more importantly, what I should do to save them. I've read that applying copper based fungicides improperly can kill a palm. I've also read that applying hydrogen peroxide to the affected area - down the crown shaft - is effective. Please advise.

Thumbnail by donnacreation
noonamah, Australia

Another solution I've read is to use coffee grinds. But if you want expert advice try the Palm Society site:
http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?act=idx

That topic is much discussed there this time of year.

Sumter, SC

Thanks tropic. I'm really concerned because I've never seen symptoms of crown rot in Dec in my pindos. Pindos are very popular bullet proof pinnate palms around here, and I've never seen one die. I've also never heard of a pindo getting root/crown rot either - except mine :-( Will probably buy lots of hydrogen peroxide today. Just wondering if anyone has had a pindo survive this condition so early during the cold season. I've seen large neglected specimens locally that have survived temps in the single digits. I'm perplexed, frustrated and downright nauseous!

noonamah, Australia

I don't seem to get that problem here. But from what I've read in the forums it's a temperature/weather issue. Seems as though cold might damage the surface tissue giving the fungus an opening. If you can protect the surface tissue until it gets a chance to heal over then all good. That's just my theory.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

this is a genus that is very prone to bud rot if you get tap water in the crown... I ahve had several rot from lawn sprinklers. Best to tug fairly hard on this leaf to see if it will come out of the crown... if it does, it is better to removed it than leave it in place. Pour antifungal solution down into the large, dark hole and a lot of times you can save these palms (fingers crossed).

Sumter, SC

Thanks, Palmbob. I treated them by pouring hydrogen peroxide down the crown shaft yesterday - heard lots of fizzing sounds. Will buy and apply antifungicide today.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I have several Windmill palms and a couple of years ago I had this problem and I thought I might lose them all - they really looked bad. Someone told me to spray the crown heavily with "Malethyon" - It really worked, the new growth came in just fine and they all look great now. Perhaps it was some sort of bug rather that rot, but I never saw any bugs on them.

Sumter, SC

Update - My palm problem continues. It's affecting all of my Butia Capitatas and several Eurpean fan palms. I had a vole problem back in Dec - they had a huge nesting area directly beneath a large Butia Capitata, the first palm to show distress. I followed Palmbob's advice (after getting rid of the voles) and treated the first three that had 'rot' with Daconil fungicide. I also poured hydrogen peroxide over the mushy emerging frond. These palms are now recovering, but one by one all of my remaining pindos are showing the same signs of disease - innermost emerging fronds have a rust color and they quickly become mushy. Every year this happens, and I have to cut out the diseased area and stress like crazy until new fronds appear. I don't know anyone else having these problems with Pindos. My hands are shredded from reaching deep down into the innermost emerging frond and cutting out the diseased tip. I even strung extension cords together and dried the mushy areas with my hair blow dryer! I really think I saved a few that way. I'd like to know what I can do to prevent this from happening again next year - could it be some pathogen in the dirt? Please advise.

This message was edited Apr 20, 2011 4:19 PM

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Really - the "Malethyon" worked for me!

Now I have a new problem on one I bought from a nursery just a few weeks ago. Just 2 iof the leaves have some small rusty spots on the about 1/4" acrosss - not in the crown. So far I have just sprayed it with an alcohol mixture, I don't think it is a bug , at least I see no signs of any . I will try to get a pic of the spots.

Sumter, SC

Pic of first palm to show disease back in Dec. - recovering well, but my hands are still shredded!

This message was edited Apr 20, 2011 4:20 PM

This message was edited Apr 20, 2011 4:30 PM

Sumter, SC

Sorry - the corrected view reverts when I try to send it. Also interesting that my Palmettos and Windmill palms are in the mix, but they've never been affected. I also have phoenix sylvestris and canariensis which I protect with xmas lights and frostcloth for about 8 - 10 weeks during the worst of winter - removed protection in mid Feb - and they're also not affected.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2011 5:14 PM

This message was edited Apr 19, 2011 5:21 PM

Sumter, SC

Thanks Azalea, I do combine an insecticide with the Daconil, and last year I applied malathion after applying hydrogen peroxide. I need to know how to prevent the intial rot, which attracts insects.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Can't seem to add the pic of my affected palm leaves on the above post, there are 2 leaves affected, not just one , this is a young tree, only about 30" tall. Some of these brown spots have holes in them - no insects or fungus on them.

Thumbnail by Azalea
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

next leaves should come out spotless

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.