Amaryllis- how fast pot to bloom?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I got a gift potted Amaryllis set (minis) for my dad and MIL. (Bloomingbulb.com, 29.99 plus 10 shipping).
Now, if they are not showing at all buds yet, how soon from watering to bloom, anyone have an iddea? They will be traveling for Xmas week and I know they will ask me whether to start watering it now and let it develop, or hold of a week pr two and let it develop a bit later so when they are back for New years and beyond, they will get the full show.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/364/

Jill says it takes 6 to 8 weeks for them to start sprouting.

Thank you for looking up jill's article! Lazy me.!
Sounds like they can get cracking on it, add some water now and then sit back awhile. I sent one to them and sent another to myself, for my MIL here.
Mini amaryllis sounded perfect for them, my stepM would not care for a full size one.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

If you got one of those boxed Gift Sets of Amaryllis that are sold at HD and Lowes
----the first thing you have to do is get rid of that fine peat moss that comes with it
as a potting medium!
You can mix it with moist potting mix and use it--but the way it comes is a crime against the unknowing....

As we all know--dry peat moss will NOT soak in any water. I learned this a couple of years ago.....
I had also bought one of those Gift Amaryllis. So--i dumped the dry peat moss in the 6" pot it came with
and poured about a cup of water over it all--and left it on the table in my Shop--hoping it would soak in. .

Two days later--i went down there--and the water was still sitting on top of the peat moss....
Lesson learned!!!!!
You need to use warm water and mix it into the peat moss and that way it might get absorbed....
You would do better to get some potting mix--mix the peat moss into it and moisten it all--
then plant your bulb.

In out HD--we get a whole pallate-full of these gift sets. They put it into the Greenhouse--and
all the bulbs sprout right in the boxes--and bloom--pushing right through the box lid. NO SOIL!
Dah! It is too warm in the Greenhouse!

Then--no one buys them! Then--they throw them away!
I think people have just learned NOT TO buy these gift boxes--which cost like--$6.95.

You are better off going to a reputable Nursery--NOT a Big Box Store and buying a premium sized, loose
bulb for about the same price and potting it up correctly. You will have it for years!!!!

Usually--It is about 6 weeks from potting to bloom.

Gita

Thanks Gita.

It is from Bloomingbulb .com. I will open it today and see how it is packed, or planted.

LOL !!! look what article is on today, Saturday.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2010 10:31 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.