End of the Road - Going uphill.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Gee, I feel cheated! We only got 4" this time. -15º this morning. -18º was predicted, so we got by easy!
Take it easy on the snowy roads. Don't want you in a ditch.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I'd be glad to share back with you! LOL

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I have plenty to share... who wants it?

Thumbnail by kooger
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

St.Paul closed their schools today because they can't get streets plowed. The cars that are supposed to be moved for snow plowing are buried so bad the towing guys can't even get them. 2 feet of snow in the street between cars parked on both sides.
Our gravel roads aren't to bad, but blacktop roads are solid ice. Almost glare ice.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Only about 4 inches here in northern KY. Careful out there, everyone!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Haha Laura! You keep it!

Bernie, I saw that the Metrodome caved in. Good thing it was empty!

I just ran to town to get some odds and ends. I went about 20 miles an hour. It's ridiculous that you can see exactly where one county ends and the other begins right in my front yard! One direction, the roads were clean but wet and in the other direction they were white with packed snow. Geesh. And the little town is operating on reduced funds so the roads in town have not been touched.

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Course it was empty, who wants to see the Vikings?

It's still snowing here, been snowing for days it seems lol. We had rain and ice first. I'm hibernating now, it's official!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

There were guys up on top shoveling the snow off until 3 AM. They came off because of the cold. Good thing, it's 200 feet to the playing field from the roof.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Why do I feel and Iowa vs Minnesota fight coming on? chuckle

Good thing they were off the roof! I saw footage where one of the cameras caught the cave in and all of the snow busting through. Very scary!

Brace yourself Gayle. I hear the storm supposedly coming in 2 days will make this one look like nothing!

shaddup 'Chele I don't wanna hear it!

I still have a flat tire. The handyman up the road said he would stop Saturday and take it in. He didn't. I wish he would have gotten to it before the snow started. I have the feeling a tow truck is going to be in my future... This is the same tire that squashed Bambi.

Jenna has a band concert tomorrow night. Now where did her white shirt go? Please, please don't let it still be in the garage!!!

I need cocoa. With Bailey's Caramel!!

Thumbnail by mornin_gayle
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hehehe. Love ya Gayle. :)

I think at this point, you might wanna call a different guy to look at your car.

Lillie was supposed to have a Christmas music show tonight and it was canceled too.

Hey, saw on an acquaintance's daylily site that he makes mudslides and creamsicles with snow! Darn, there is no liquor here!!

Quote from Badseed :
Darn, there is no liquor here!!

*THUD*

Quick, somebody get the smelling salts, MG just passed out! LOL

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey, I'm not one to waste fresh fallen snow. LOL

The kids have had snow cream 3 times in 2 days! I had some last night.

Yay, 2 hour delay for tomorrow already...

you know you just confused everyone that doesn't have facebook, right?

No liquor huh? I have a friend on Facebook that named her page "OMG I so need a glass of wine or I'm gonna sell my kids" I like her alot.

Call a different guy to look at my car? There isn't anyone else lol. I live so far out in the boonies GoogleEarth hasn't even made it here. I will try to find a tow truck tomorrow.

I'm betting on a delay here too, but kinda wishing for a cancellation. I haven't been to the town where the concert is, let alone found the jr high it takes place in. And the directions around here suck pig snot.

I swear the temp just dropped in here by 20*! I'm going to find my hoodie lol

Thumbnail by mornin_gayle
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Who'd I confuse and why?

Ha! Google goes to my road, at the other end! And there still are no photos from the road. How does one get a job doing that?? I'll ride around and take pics!

Warm here inside the house but we just ate and I just baked some ribbons. LOL

...baked some...huh??

huh????

*shakes head and mumbles about weirdos that waste a perfectly good oven that could be making cookies*

LOL
Wow, those are cool! I've seen those, but had no idea you had to cook 'em, ...what a fun project!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, I did buy stuff to make buckeyes but I got to playing with the ribbons and didn't get any farther....

Aren't they neat Renee?! You sure have to make a bunch of them to do anything with them! I learned to make them a couple of years ago but haven't done too many of them. There are people that make and sell them though. I don't know if people don't want to mess with them or just find it easier to buy them.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Vikings aren't doing so good. It could that it's the 13th. Good thing the Giants are lousy or we would be way behind.

Come July I'll have a class on how to handle snow for all you fair weather "southern"
types.
Stay safe!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey Bernie, why you waitin for July? We won't have any snow then, so show us now!!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

lol Bernie.

Chele - we used knitting needles to wrap them on in the 'olden days'. lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It's to cold to be outside now. I wouldn't bet against snow in July!

I'll get Laura to help me. She is a real cold weather gal!

This message was edited Dec 13, 2010 9:37 PM

I remember flurries in June here, back in the 70's!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I remember a 4th of July that was cold enough that you needed a jacket to eat the homemade ice cream outside!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You had ribbon back then?? ahem

I don't want to hear about snow in July!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

snort

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I figured I'd get blasted for that one. LOL

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Bernie - if you have fluffy stuff, I'll be there! This is rock snow we have here. (fluffy stuff as in snow, no other fluff intended)

Chelle - i was asking for it... lol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We don't really have much. Some hard drifts, some fluffy.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The kids had another 2 hour delay this morning. I guess the melted snow was expected to turn to ice. I was only out for an hour yesterday and my car thermometer actually said 22 at one point but was back to 18 by the time I returned home. Where there was snow on the roads, it was packed but the spots they cleared were just wet. Looking at my car, we either got no more snow or just a dusting. The little bit on my car could have been from the wind blowing. It looks sort of frosted.

My best guess is that we got 6" of snow and it was the really fluffy kind that blows all over. Hopefully it got enough of a crust on it that it won't blow onto the roads. That's kind of a pain in the buns!

Laura, I was baiting you. LOL Back in the day, did you use starch or anything on the ribbons? I wet them and use spray starch then back them. My dear son decided to snap one of my dowel rods last night. Turkey! Of course I don't have any knitting needles. :( One of my true regrets is not learning all of the crafts my elders did before they passed. They all knitted, quilted, crocheted, farmed, etc.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I don't remember using starch at all. And I think I did some in the microwave with dowels, if I remember right. Didn't take near as long.

Not learning the crafts from your elders is no excuse. lol I learned tatting and crochet from a book. Mom taught me sewing, knitting, crewel and cross stitch. You CAN do it although I know some people find it too difficult from a book. It is easier with a visual, hands on teacher.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

We used to use real starch for our nurses caps. Make a paste & then paste, take the cap apart, clean it & then paste it to the mirror to dry. After one or two times doing that, we got wise & just ordered new caps!
Pat

Wow, and I always thought a nurse's job was hard enough without having to do all that!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Another insomniac night!
The hardest thing about the cap was keeping it on. I have very fine hair, and at that point I was wearing it in such a short cut that my sisters called it the"joan of Arc" style. If I leaned forward , the cap followed & slid off my head. Each nursing school had their own style of cap at that time, & my school's closely resembled mickey mouse ears. Plus the school colors were scarlet & gray or maroon and gray, & so the color bands for our caps were more like blood & guts symbolism. I'm missing Maine right now. The fish chowder dinners at church, instead of chili. The kids that I babysat for in my spare time. Living for a year right on the ocean. The fish sticks at the grocery that were really fish! Unfrozen! Living near Two Lights (Portland Head Light & I forget the name of the other). Meeting real, live Shakers at Sabbathday Lake, their last surviving community.

I heard Tuesday that it was colder at Disneyworld in Florida than it was in Maine! That's just wrong!
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That weather forecast was true Pat.
My friend Legend in Maine had over 3" of rain.
She's on the coast.

7° here and calm.

No trucks scheduled! LOL!
I worked construction for 10 years.
All Seasons.... outdoors.
Winter you can add layers........ Summer........

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Laura, some day I hope to learn to do those things. I never have time for much with the kids keeping me running. Heck, I'm just happy to feel like I have some control over my life now!

Pat, starching nursing hats?? I would have never thought about that. Sticking them to the mirror?? LOL I think buying new ones was probably a much easier way to go. hahaha My Great Aunt always told me the neatest things! She had told me about using cast iron irons that had to be heated on a wood burning stove to iron clothes and how things would be could well then you'd get the tiniest bit of soot (?) on a shirt collar and have to start over! I can't imagine! My cousins and I all grew up playing with small cast iron irons at her house. She used them as door stops. We'd iron all of her wash cloths and hand towels as a means of entertainment. Of course, we used her Pall Mall cigarettes as building blocks too....

I would not have thought your hair was that fine either! You must have a head full! I'm sorry to hear you didn't get a good night of sleep. I'm with you on the ocean thing after spending so much time in Florida, but I prefer the south. Then again, I love seafood so I could probably tolerate any ocean environment. I'd just like to live somewhere warmer!!

It's hard to believe it got so cold in the south this week! Friends had plants freeze already and are worrying about fruit trees. :(

Kristenne, Nolan and me went to see Carly's basketball game last night. They finally beat the team our school never beats. Woo hoo!! 41-31 in double over time! Carly rolled her ankle at the end of the third quarter and had to sit for a bit but she couldn't take the bench for long. She iced it a few minutes and went back in to help seal the deal. That kid is a monster! I hope she grows into her size 11 feet soon! She is as tall as me already at 13 but her feet passed mine up a bit ago.

Gotta get the kids up! Here's a picture of Nolan I took last week. He's a character! He doesn't look like a baby anymore. :(

This message was edited Dec 15, 2010 7:42 AM

Thumbnail by Badseed

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.