Holiday front door decor

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

What do you hang or place around your front door for the Holiday?

Thought this would be fun!

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pretty!!!!

If hubby gets around to it, we have an evergreen garland with lights....my wreath is......

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, now I have to find something to hang on the door, LOL!

More globes.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oviously the globes don't belong here, sorry!

Both decorations are nice!

Billy, You just go so excited about Holiday decor you forgot which thread you were in. ; ) LOL

Love the doors at Williamsburgh, check out this site http://www.history.org/visit/christmas//dec_doors.cfm

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Those are really neat. I never thought about attatching one to a wrought iron railing. I have that on the back steps. My problem is all glass tops in all my doors. Not an easy place to hang things.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

so pretty.

There is a house in the town next to me that does the apple arch above their door.

This town is so charming has a classic Main street with all the shops and lined with Victorians

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My door still has fall leaves and a scarecrow but I will post mine when I get it up. LOL

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have an artificail wreath with a few decor items I wired on and a big red bow. I use one of those wreath hangers to hang it on my door without making a hole or putting a hook in. I am tempted to look for something more contemporary but it has to be light colored to show up on my painted door. It also has to be fairly flat for the narrow space between the door and storm door.

Mom's white door looks nice with a simple wreath entirely of red (fake) berries

I use a "Command" hook on the door. It has been there about 3 years I change the "swag" seasonally with artifical silk flowers. I found the flower swags at Walmart.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Love those command hooks!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally,

I have the same problem as you. Barely 4" between the doors.
I have been using this for years. Totally flat! Don't even remember where I got it--
maybe Pier One?
It is made of thin slats and fine, green yarn with some Pom-Poms attached.
Three push-pins hold it in place...I still like it!

I have made beautiful, live or artificial door wreaths for others as gifts.
Reminds me--I need to do one for my daughter's door.
Usually have done that from boxwood cuttings....some pine cones, some pretty X-mas decorations on it--
nothing too glitzy...I like natural.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is one of the Boxwood wreaths I made for my daughter.
X-Mas--2008

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I love that box wood wreath Gita.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Agreed, beautiful wreath! Do you have your own boxwood? I leafed thru a book yesterday full of beautiful wreathes of natural materials. I'd love to have a yard full of the right bushes and trees to decorate with all the berries and foliage and vines.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

FlowAjen, the town sounds beautiful and so does the apple arch!

Holly, LOL, my scarecrow never made it out of the closet :o(

Sallyg, red to me makes a decoration pretty. I have 9 red bows here and there outside and they are my Christmas "cardinals."

Gita, I love your yarn hanging too! I admire anyone with the patience and talent to hold and wire fronds in place :o) Boxwood really makes a nice wreath. You did a good job! I love the bow too!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I do have an OLD Boxwood by my front door--but the ones I have made were done at someone's house
with a few of us getting together to make wreaths and then have hot soup and salad....wine, etc.....

These people bought a home some years ago on a property that used to be a Boxwood Nursery.
There are Boxwoods everywhere! All through the wooded part as well as all around their house.
They have sold many of them--for good money--especially the bigger ones...Buyer has to dig
and transport...Many Landscapers have come with the right equipment to do just that--including
a small backhoe and cages made to keep the roots safe and a truck to transport them all.
You can imagine what a 5'-6' tall, healthy boxwood would cost. I believe these went to someone's Estate
somewhere in Southern MD.
I believe that sale was like $3000 for them...

Anyway--Boxwood foliage grows in "bunches" at the top. These are called "hands"--and they are about the
size of an open palm. To prune Boxwood--you thin the tops by cutting out some of the "hands".
This allows more air and light to get to the inside of the bush as well--they need that.
These are nature-made bunches--so you are not really dealing with cuttings, per say.
Use a wire wreath frame--anchor floral wire to a starting point--and just keep adding the "hands" pieces
as you wrap and go. When you get to the start--position the last piece over the first and tie it down--
forming a wire loop to hang it by. Wire any decorations on --as you wish. A nice bow helps...
Keep things "natural"---I believe that fresh wreaths lose their "natural" look with too much glitzy stuff on them
I, personally, love pine cones on a wreath....Not too hard!

Gita

Gita, that wreath making party sounds like a good time. That is what the Holidays are all about.
You did a great job on that wreath, I love it! Your door tree is cute, it sings "Merry Christmas".

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well I'm getting closer to Christmas decorations. The Halloween decorations have all been put away and the Christmas boxes are out of the attic. I do still have rotting pumpkins sitting near my front door. They really have to go. LOL

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yay Holly you can do it!!!! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.