TEA ROOM # 78

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. I have been holding off the move until the end of the month, but now is near enough.
We ware really in winter mode here at the moment. Back to the heater and electric blanket. Looks last this weather is going to last all week. Who stole spring ? It popped in then disappeared. I hope summer is not going to do the same.
I did manage to get out and dig some irises I have sold and peep in at the epis.
I said to hubby I will have to just mark the branches of the epis when I photograph the flowers. I don't want to knock buds off by trying to follow the long branches down to see which plant it belongs to. I can do that when all the flowers are done.
Hello Anthony, my liliums are liking the rain and cool.
Hello Louise, I see on the news that in Florida , there has been a series of attacks on people and a dog, by an otter. Goodness me , what next . I thought those waterways were for the alligators. Glad I don't go outside and meet any savage wildlife.
I had better go over and put up the sign to show where we are . Don't want anyone getting lost on the way. They may stumble on an otter or that python of Kats.
Have a great day and keep warm if you are having this cold weather.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

I do it every time, forget to put up the signpost. We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1139559/
Jean.

Brisbane, Australia

Jean, do you get snakes in your garden? I was wondering, as there are many hiding places for them. I once found a brown in my yard, but it is so built up here, it must have been driven up by bush destruction somewhere near.

Hello and good morning to everyone. It is truly a beautiful morning here, a good start to the week, though they have predicted more showers and cloud cover. Beginning to think its permanent.

Karen

My small pitcher plant is actually starting to get a new plant growing from the base. This is exciting, as I bought it thinking I'd probably kill it. But it keeps sending out new pitchers, little thing that it is, so it must be reasonably happy.

Thumbnail by DawnSong
Merino, Australia

Hello Karen, yes we do get the odd snake . We have had mostly copperheads but a few tigers have visited. Because the whole garden is so much a jungle, one never sees exactly what lives there but a couple of years ago, we did have a tiger snake come into the laundry . It was a very funny story after the event , but quite serious as we tried to remove him.
I always make enough noise to let them know I am around so they can hide . I leave water dishes on the ground for the lizards and snakes in the summer.
I think the poor things will stay in hibernation this year if they have any sense. Its too cold and wet for them.
Congrats on your pitcher plant, looks great.
Jean.

Brisbane, Australia

I am so glad we don't get snakes here, as I'm not sure how I'd handle it. I love my lizards though, and have a grass mound at the back where the blue tongues breed. I should remove it, but I love that they breed here and are surviving suburbia despite the overwhelming odds.

I got the pitcher plant really cheap as it was not doing well at all at the time. I am really surprised how its come on.

Karen

speaking of cold and wet ...raining and only a top of 20C today unbelievable!
((( Hello it's late November)))

Always the way ...plant tropicals and the weather thinks it's Autumn.
Summer has cooled so much in the last 4years except for the odd few days of high heat.

Who knows I may be growing cool climate plants if this keeps up.
It's snowing in Germany where my grand daughter excitedly awaits a white Christmas ...the way it's going we might have one too!
I hope everyone enjoys their day even if it is a Monday.

barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. Cool and overcast here today. We had quite a bit of wind here yesterday. No damage but some pots were over. The roses are flowering beautifully this year. A mass of blooms. Does your heart good doesn't it? I have lots to do today so won't hang around chatting for too long. Hope everyone is well and I'll pop back in later. All have a lovely day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hello Jean....I wish I could send you some warm sunshine! I did read about the river otter here in Florida, but I can't recall where it was, other than to note that it is not close to us. I am quite surprised to learn that we have river otters down here. We have them in NH, but I would think they would not like our salt water down here.

Speaking of snakes, Karen......I had a visitor one night and I guess the puppies barking must have scared him out of his skin! lol

Hello, Chrissy and Colleen!

Sending you all some warm vibes!
Louise

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

wow just saw the otter attack ...who knew????
yes we have had a snake inside already ...red bellied black.
We had a Feral cat bring her kittens up onto the front verandah yesterday an ominous sign that lots of rain is coming.
We tried to catch them but they were very vicious already and messed up hubby's hand pretty badly ...I don't know what to do.
We had feral cats roaming around when we first moved here almost 20 years ago.
They would attack me when I tried to take the groceries inside.
any ideas?

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Oh Dear, Chrissy....that doesn't sound like a good situation. At one of the hotels on our way up to Connecticut, there were 4 feral cats hanging out around the outside door to our room. Of course the girls were going crazy. I was worried the cats would attack them. we won't stay there again!!!

Brisbane, Australia

Bit of a worry, that snake skin, not knowing where its previous owner went.

I've never heard of feral cat behaving like that. There aren't any around here, so maybe that's why. Wonder if the RSPCA or similar could help catch them?

Karen

barmera, Australia

Chrissy if that was me I would put some nice warm weetbix out for them, but that's me. It makes me so angry when people just dump their pets, especially pregnant Mums. What is she supposed to do? Colleen

Merino, Australia

Sorry Colleen, but feral cats are just that and do noone any good. . Its hard, but if you dont want a pet, leave it with the RSPCA or an animal hospital etc.
Most feral cats are beyond taming and will rip your hand off. Dont feed them. Please.. You will be just allowing more to breed.
Chrissy, get a possum cage or similar and try to trap her and the kittens. If you can, use gloves to catch any of the kittens and put them inside the cage in a smaller one to entice the mother in.
Stray cats are a menace to our bush and even our own pets.
I speak from long experience of feral cats and the bush.
Jean.

Thanks Jean
Colleen no one likes to harm animals but feral cats kill our wildlife and continue to breed if you cannot catch them. In my time I have saved countless animals. I feel awful to be cruel to any animal but these are wild feral creatures who kill everything. I was hoping to catch them and send them to the RSPCA.
If you leave food out for them they still won't be tame enough to catch.
They just grow up and make more feral cats.

I tried everything years ago ...you try lifting bags of groceries out of the car and these animals attack your bags and you ... causing you to drop the bags as you try to protect your grandchildren, then they rip into the bags and ruin your groceries.

No one should have a cat that is not "done" ...unless they are breeding them. I too blame irresponsible owners.

Clifton Springs, Australia

Hi all,
Usually your local cat protection society will lend you a cage so you can trap mother and kittens, Chrissie....try them.
Louise, it's nice to have you back....I would love to see the ring that was given to Hank...take a pic when you think of it.

Jean, Savannah Sunset is on it's way......Mirabilis.'greta's choice' seed is in there too...can't wait for them to flower.
Colleen, your bit of Spathulifolium. purpureum and your Mirabilis seeds too should be there in a couple of days.
A coincidence with the Mirabilis, cestrum and Chrissy have posted them on the November thread...ours have splashes of colour on the petals...just a bit different....plant them now, I just put mine in this morning...

More Roses to prune, so back to it...

Thumbnail by Seachanger
barmera, Australia

Thanks Dianne. Did you plant yours' straight into the garden or into seed trays? Colleen

Straight into pots Colleen, they can be feral....lol
Your Liliums are lovely.

hi Dianne no they won't help ...16 acres here in rural farmland ... huge dam.
etc ...tried all that before.
The farmer next door just shoots them.
I try not to go down near the dam in the Summer twixt snakes and the odd bullet whizzing by.
The 4'oclocks are called broken colours when they are splotched or two colours ...mine have actually started to throw the odd white now after about 15 years of coloured ones. Must have been a stray bee or something. The original seeds came from about 22ks away from here and it's the only place I have seen these.
A real granny plant but lovely ...like coloured Christmas baubles at Christmas time, did you know they are said to kill off the little black beetles.
http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/PD/3231
Edited to say after reading that thread I can't see fragrance mentioned ...perhaps these new ones advertised here are special hybrids that lack the strong perfume (they look like mine though there is more white in some of them) perhaps they have gone the way of many hybrids and have lost their scent.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2010 3:11 PM

Sunshine Coast, Australia

Good afternoon everyone!

My one and only rose.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Quote from chrissy100 :
hi Dianne no they won't help ...16 acres here in rural farmland ... huge dam.
etc ...tried all that before.
The farmer next door just shoots them
This message was edited Nov 29, 2010 3:11 PM

Chrissy, that is so funny....I had just advised Colleen to put her seeds in pots and you said that won't help.....the farmer next door shoots them....lol

Marlene it's beautiful...what's it's name and is it perfumed?

western sydney nsw, Australia

Good evening to all , Chrissy so sorry to hear about the feral cat family moving in can the Wild Life Soc. lend you the traping cages . Poor Brody must be at risk of being attacked. makes it hard not being able to take your brother to sit out side .

Karen dont know if its in you state in N SW Autograph are giving away free Julie Goodwin Christmas CD to all the customers I remember reading you shop there a nice little freebie.

I need a little help in a part of my garden when I water there is a white cloud looks like smoke rises never had it before and can not see any thing differant in or on the ground any ideas whate it can be or whate I sould do Thanks.
My new decoration flages.--------elaine.

Thumbnail by sammut
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Quote from Seachanger :
Marlene it's beautiful...what's it's name and is it perfumed?

Lost the tag and cannot remember the name. *darn*

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

i appear to have been talking in an empty room,..,hello all,anthony

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Sounds like the "dust" from mushroom spore of somekind. Elaine, It should float away but as it does it spreads more. Do you have anything like a Farm extension to help in explaining about your soil problems?

Puff balls ...a kind of fungus/mushroom thing.
It is not dangerous.
The drops hitting the little balls cause them to rupture and this explodes into little puffs of powder (spores).
I have them in my garden.
I read somewhere that you can eat them.
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5164593_puffball-fungus-eject-spores-air.html

But I haven't ...you must eat before it matures.
see this thread
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/outdoor-recreation/how/mushrooms/edible-mushrooms
I still will leave them alone though.
Anyway nothing to worry about.

Back later.

Some fungi can poison you. Best not eat it!!!!!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hello All! Dianne, thank you...it's nice to be back! I will try to take a photo of Hank's ring. I'm not sure it will show the fantastic detail. The Yale Bowl (football stadium) is intricately carved on one side and the Lambert Trophy that they won for being one of the two best teams in the country that year is also very detailed. It also has his name and jersey number on it and other writing with a big Y set in a blue background. I will see if it will come out ok.

Elaine - nice flags....what a good idea!

The feral cat problem is making me ill. I just hate it when animals are in such situations. I try hard to stay in denial to keep myself sane. :(

Chrissy - I'm so glad I read your post about the four o'clocks and checked out that link. I have a package of them and was trying to decide where to plant them. Now I know!
Thanks!

Hi Jean, Anthony, Charlene, Marlene, Colleen, Karen, and anyone else peaking in. I hope it warms up for you, Jean! All is well on my side of the earth!
Louise

Louise, we are getting some rain, and it cool, but nothing unbearable.
I'm dry and warm so all is great here too.
Hello, all my friends.

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone. Still cold here but no more rain as yet. We are forecast to have a warm and humid weekend later.
I have found the weeds are growing so quickly again., Usually by now they are all drying off but as the old ones dry off and seed there is a fresh lot coming up. Along the roadsides the grass is very long and thick. Some councils wont allow farmers to graze the verges any more or even cut the grass for hay. Greenies gone mad. It looks so untidy , not to mention being a fire hazard. Also as the trees get trimmed or branches fall, they are just pushed into the scrub. Habitat, they say. Hmmmm. What will live there after a fire has has had its way with all that fuel ?
Native grasses must be saved they say. Trucks , cars etc will always be dropping off seeds as they travel through so whats the use of banning cattle feeding when they are actually helping to control both grass growth and fire hazards ?
Thats my soapbox speech for the day.
Hello Louise. Hanks ring sounds really nice. Good to see him getting recognition for the hard work he put in on the book.
Pat those gorgeous girls for me.
Hello Dianne, thank you for the seeds. I will plant them carefully. Not many things go triffid here. Its too darn cold for most of the year. I don't mind triffids in some places as they cover a lot of bare ground. I showed hubby the other day, where I throw all my plant rubbish , lots of things coming up. Even along the path outside where I walk with any bits to toss , seeds have dropped and there is honesty and valerian everywhere. Looks pretty anyway. Easy to pull out if not wanted.
I have lots of geranium bits coming up from the scraps too. The rubbish piles look pretty . I always toss all plant clippings around the plants or along the back where they rot down nicely into the soil.
Hello Anthony, liliums everywhere now. I must move some of the other colors around . The dull days are certainly brightened when they flower.
Elaine, I have seen those fungi too. I wouldn't eat any of them. I even have my doubts about the fungi sold in shops. They don't look too good to me but must be tasty.
Chrissy, I hope you can get help with the feral cats. I am soft with animals but have no sympathy for any feral animals.
We have a "cat lady" person in the area who is a real pain. She is an educated woman and should know better but she collects cats. Not as a breeder but as a hoarder. She goes to the tips and catches feral cats in cages plus any other stray cats she can find. She was reported so many times but the shire seemed to not care and nothing was done. She usually has some poor soul with a pension living with her and uses their money to buy cat food. She was shown on TV a few years ago , portrayed as a good person trying to look after cats. We had seen the house and the poor diseased cats. Some fool felt sorry for her and gave her a house on a farm.
The same thing went on there . There was a mountain of rubbish bags outside the house and eventually the old fellow living with her was taken a way to better care. A few weeks ago there was a fire reported which turned out to be her place.
The firemen were overcome by the smell and filth when trying to do their job. Not much of a fire but it happened twice in a few days so the fire officer in charge went to see. The place was so bad with sick cats, many dogs, even snakes in cages, that noone would venture in any more. The shire finally had to do something and ordered her out. Welfare officers found she had a poor young retarded fellow living there that the firemen never saw. He was locked in a room unable to move with ulcerated legs. He could have burnt to death if the fire had been larger.
There is only one way to deal with feral cats etc. hard as it may be, put them down.
Sorry to ruin your breakfast , but these are the realities of life that the city do gooders never see.
Back to gardens, they are definitely nicer.
Hello to everyone else . I am off out to photograph the latest epi.
Have a great day and go pat your pets and tell them they are loved.
Happy gardening and try some of this yummy Coconut Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Brisbane, Australia

Good morning everyone. Cloudy today. What a surprise, duh!

I hate seeing animals out of place, they suffer too. Birds as well. The Ibis populations are building up and they are polluting waterways and encroaching on local birds such as egrets. Crows too are over populating, raiding the nests of other birds, killing the young. Even ducklings are being taken in larger numbers. It is us who have caused the imbalance in nature, and the wild life struggles to survive, becoming "pests". A sad situation.

On a brighter note, I'm off to get some gravel today, then am going to do some potting and repotting. My favourite past time.

Karen

western sydney nsw, Australia

Good morning to all
Thanks Chrissy good to know went out in the rain and found the puff balls they blend into the pepples just look like smaller stones hard to find when I was looking to see where the cloud was coming from I was looking for strange a green plant learning all the time . Every one have a great day
----------elaine.

camera has gone nuts again
testing

Thumbnail by

This thread has thrown me out the door and rejected my pics ....three times this morning.
I wonder if this will go through.
Elaine they won't hurt you.

hooray it did ...those puff balls would explode when I mowed the lawn.

Yes man has a lot to answer for but then we can't see around corners can we ...most introduced critters and animals have been bought into countries will no ill intent.

We now have to do the best we can.
I guess we don't complain about the other introduced things like fruit ...vegs and domestic animals.
Speaking of which ...nothing is getting ripe around these parts.
No sun and endless drizzling rain.
Please excuse my cabin fever blah blah blah.

Thumbnail by

Puff balls, spores, a strange green plant, sounds like the DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS.......whoooooooooo....watch out Elaine.
That was a good movie...

Went to see, Wild Target today......very funny...sort of a sophisticated "Carry on" film.
Chrissie, I didn't know that you grew Broms...I like your shelves....re the pix getting rejected..I find that with 50% of my photos now, I have to put them in twice....the text stays but the pix disappear.
Talking of cameras, mine sometimes puts pink into my photos when there is no pink....probably due for another.

I have given up on the weather..just let it happen now.....the only ones that are enjoying it are Anthony's Liliums, they love the cooler weather.
This is an iris though.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2010 4:16 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Brisbane, Australia

Good morning all. Looks like rain here today. I won't be able to do the washing. How sad. Nice iris there, and Chrissy, love your broms. I didn't get the potting done yesterday, got distracted. Barry used the leaf vacuum to clear the paths. I don't mind doing it but you know boys and their toys. It will all be back again tomorrow.

Seems really quiet here this morning. Where is the world? Should be traffic roaring up the highways, birds squawking, trains going by, etc. but just this strange quiet. Oh well, I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Have a pleasant day everyone.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong
barmera, Australia

Good morning all. I think that Jean has gone off the beaten track looking for that warmer weather, she's in the other tearoom. It's cool and overcast here but I bet if the sun comes out it will be very sultry. We had some nice steady rain yesterday just as I was getting the washing in. I just beat it inside. Everything is lovely and green here at the moment. I'm not looking forward to that scorching heat. I hope it just passes us by this year. This morning is perfect. I hope all are well and all have a wonderful day. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Hi everyone ...well it's been raining since I last said it was raining ...inches of water out there ...soggy wet and cold.
Last night at around 5.15 a car hit our Telegraph pole outside ...luckily the driver was not too badly hurt but the station wagon was crushed in half.
Thank goodness no passengers.
So we had no power until 10.45 last night with lots of noise ...sirens big Electricity vehicles ...cherry picker type thingos etc all in the pouring rain.
Whew I bet that sort of thing was happening all over the place.

Yes the broms have won my respect for their toughness ...of course the nice colours are attractive too.
Dianne the "shelves" are very steep stairs to the second level verandah ...I never go up there so they come in handy for my plants.
Well we are still waiting for Jean so I will be back later ...hopefully.

Merino, Australia

Hello all. I'm back again. We had a lovely day in Mt Gambier. The weather was beautiful. A tad overcast but warm. We wandered all around and had lunch up by the side of the lovely Blue lake. It really was a blue today. sometimes it's more green.
Colleen, I remembered to go and check on the cacti that were showing buds last time we were there. We had missed some and others were still opening but I did get a couple of photos and thought how Brian would have loved them.
Chrissy, what a shock that accident would have been. Thank goodness no one was killed.
Hello Karen, I try to avoid vacuuming but when the dust is so thick, that hubby gets lost, I have to do it. Ha ha.
I didn't find any orphans but did buy a small white lavender to add to the others along the front path. I am hoping for a small hedge of them eventually.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.