turnips

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

When do you have to have them out of the ground and how do you store them???

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

This may be a good source of informaton for you. Hope this helps. http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=G6226

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't grow them--but, now and then I buy them and just peel them and slice them
and eat them raw--like carrot sticks....
They can vary in taste--sometimes sweet and tender--and sometimes spicy--like Horse Radish.
Never know what--when.....

I also use them in Turkey soup--like right now......

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I like them stewed with potatoes and just about any meat. The last I made with some 60% off bottom round I cubed up. I think the whole pot cost maybe $7. Ric

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes I cook with meat also...Just wondered how you all stored them over the winter...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I must be old, Oh well! I remember folks putting them in straw in a nail keg and keeping them in a cold cellar or burying it in a cold frame.I imagine they would keep a long time in the crisper drawer of your fridge. LOL Ric

Central Pa, United States

I store ours in a root cellar..in an old milk crate.....
Was just out in the cellar the other day and the turnips were sprouting...so brought them in, cut the sprouts off and the hairy ends, and cleaned them up a bit with a little bleach in my washing water...just to kill any bacteria...left them dry and put them back in...that was 2 weeks ago...went out yesterday and they're still looking good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.