raspberry production and Jaclyn

Charlotte, VT

Based on your experience, which raspberries are more productive everbearing or summer bearing. Does anyone have experience with with an everbearer named Jaclyn? Do you have enough time for all of Jaclyn's fruit to ripen in zone 4?

Greensburg, PA

I am a fan of Fall Gold, an everbearer, for its sweet yellow fruit. Many people find Heritage (red) a good choice, but I think the taste of its fruit is just average. I have not experience with Jaclyn.

Lynnwood, WA(Zone 7a)

Helen, for daily fresh eating over a long period, I've become a real fan of everbearers. If my goal is to pick alot to freeze for the winter then the summer bearers are better. You can get out there for a few days and stock the freezer. I am amazed to still be getting fresh berries off the everbearers. It's mid November for petes sake. I love it. I don't know the name of the everbearer. I just found a little sprout a few years ago and viola. It has been my introduction to everbearers. Many years of experience with the summer ones would have been the sum of my experience had not this little wanderer come into my life. Pretty amazing the way nature gifts us.

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

Helen;,
Zone 4 might be pushing it a bit. I grow the Heritage variety and have plenty of berries that get froze before they have a chance to ripen in November here in Ohio, and I am in zone 5b/6a .. I still harvest plenty as the plants are good producers. I get a fairly nice crop in the summer and a heavy crop in the fall. I have one other summer bearing variety that does well and that is the Mammoth Red.. I think being in zone 4, I would give patti47's suggestion a try and plant both summer and everbearing varieties and see how it goes. I have no experience with the Jaclyn variety here so can't be of much help with that one.. It is suppose to be hardy in zone 4 where your located so maybe it will be a good choice to try...

Dave

Charlotte, VT

I believe you are right. A summer variety for the freezer or jam jars and an ever bearing variety for extended eating. I had the mistaken notion that an ever bearing variety would take care of both needs. I've always liked the idea of easy pruning with a mower. Life is full of dreams and sometimes one will get popped. Thanks for your suggestions.

I think I'll start over by killing my Heritage raspberries with roundup in the spring and plant again. Will roundup be strong enough to kill them with just one spraying or will I have to stagger the sprayings?

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I have 2 rows of Caroline everbearing raspberries that I bought from Nourse Farms. The first two years they produced well. Then we have had 2 years with a late spring and most of the berries have frozen on the bush by fall when they are supposed to produce the most. It has been discouraging.

I am planning to dig up one row and plant a summer bearer, but I don't know what to plant. I hate to "dig up" or "roundup" something that is trying to grow, but I have no room for non-production plants.

Last spring I planted some Jaclyn's from Nourse Farms, but this next summer will be the first time I can evaluate them, so I'll have to let you know later.

Charlotte, VT

I agree with you. I'm so disgusted with the Heritage raspberries that I have been growing. To see them loaded with frozen berries for the last two falls is all I can take. I have read that Jaclyn ripens before Heritage and Caroline. Does anyone know how much earlier Jaclyn ripens. I hope it's at least two weeks earlier. I've been thinking of putting up a makeshift hoop house over the raspberries in the spring in hopes that it will make the berries ripen earlier.

Greensburg, PA

Helen, I do have a hoop house over my Heritage raspberries and covered with plastic. I cannot comment on if this makes the berries ripen earlier, but it does keep the insects and birds away, so I can get a decent harvest. Unfortunately, I did not make the hoops tall enough, so I had plants and berries growing directly into the covers. Make sure your hoop house is large enough to accomodate the size of the berry plants.

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I have been covering the Carolines in the fall, but it doesn't work well. It seems they become quite tasteless when the weather cools.

Maybe I should cover them in the spring to lengthen the season that way. Great idea. Thanks.

Charlotte, VT

Linda you made me remember that the Heritages didn't taste that good when it got really cold. I guess that's why the older we get the more wisdom we gain from our life experiences.

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I don't particularly like getting old. Since so many things hurt and I can't see as well, I think I'd rather put up with a lack of experience. LOL!

Manchester, CT

Hi everyone...my name is Maria and I'm new to Dave's. I am trying to establish plants on my property. The older gentleman I bought my home from only mowed the lawn. It's sad! : ( My little man LOVES berries, and I would love to raise some raspberries and blueberries for him. This may sound like a stupid question, and if so, I apologize, I'm just trying to learn...can I plant different kinds of raspberries together? I know you can intermingle types of corn without interpollination hurting the crop, but is it the same for berries? I was also wondering if maybe someone had some to share. I would truly appreciate it! Thank you SO much for your info...Maria

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I have grown 3 different kinds of raspberries together and didn't have a problem. Good luck.

As for the corn, apparently there is a new TYPE of corn that needs isolation. I just can't remember what you call it. I think the name of the corn I bought this year was Mauri. I got it at Swallowtailgardenseeds.com. Look it up there for more information.

Greensburg, PA

Supersweet corn, sometimes called type "sh2", needs isolation from other types of corn. It is not that new, however, but is very sweet as the name implies

Manchester, CT

Thank you for the answer...I have never tried raspberries before and really have no idea. I know spring is a LONG time coming, not just on the calendar, but for the 5 feet of snow in my yard to melt! I don't know WHEN that's going to happen. I know it's early to think of planting, but I can't help it...I love to be outside digging in the dirt! lol Does anyone here have any extra raspberries that they would be willing to share? I would truly appreciate it! Thank you! Maria

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

I buy my raspberries from Nourse Farms. They have wonderful root systems and they will send them to you at the proper time for planting.

I don't know if I could send any of my plants to you and expect they would arrive alive. I would be happy to do it if I thought it would work. Maybe someone else will know more about that than I do.

Manchester, CT

Thank you for your offer, looney...I'll check out Nourse Farms and maybe someone else knows about sending them. I don't know much about them at all. We'll see : ) Thanks again! Maria

Charlotte, VT

I've heard that raspberries are prone to getting diseases and that it's not a good idea to share plants. Perhaps the newer varieties aren't so disease prone. The Heritage raspberries that I have originally came a garden club's plant sale. All the plants came from garden club member's gardens. I haven't had any disease problems. I don't know if I'm lucky or if my plants aren't disease prone.

I have gotten some really good plants from Nourse Farms. They have excellent staff if you have any questions. Their descriptions of the plants are very good. Maybe you'll hit pay dirt and find someone in the neighborhood that has good raspberries. Don't just take plants without knowing more about them because you end up with plants that someone has been wanting to get rid of. Good luck!

Mantua, UT(Zone 4b)

Raspberries are prone to diseases and bugs. One of my neighbors had to cut her Canby raspberries down to the ground and burn the pruned canes to get rid of a bug--don't remember what it was.

Also raspberries are prone to viruses that are commonly carried by tomatoes, so those two should not be closed together in a garden.

I read somewhere that raspberries and blackberries should not be planted in an area if tomatoes have been grown there within the last 3 years. I don't know if all berry experts would agree with that or not.

Nourse Farms is an excellent place to buy berries. I ordered Carolines from them and they were out of stock but I put my name on a waiting list. Since I wanted them so much I ordered some from another place. I ended up being able to get them from both places.
I'll bet that the Nourse supplied the second company with the plants because they were wrapped in exactly the same way. The only difference was that the ones from Nourse Farms were MUCH less expensive.

Manchester, CT

Thank you Helen and Linda for your advice. I have a fenced vegetable garden area, and I would put them somewhere else. I know the elderly man that lived here did not garden, so at least I don't have to guess about location. I will check out Nourse. I do want to get them, but it has to be pretty cheap cost, otherwise I can't afford it. I have seen such a difference in price of various companies. Thanks again, guys, and stay warm!: ) Maria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.