new shade garden we created in casselberry fl in back

casselberry, FL

any cool plant suggestions...im gonna put a small water garden in the center maybe goldfish in spring...but for now just water love that sound///

Thumbnail by corrigandee

Wow! I see a tropical oasis but hey - I'm from the Midwest. Hanging orchids, banana plants, etc - but you probably see that a lot down in FL. Hmm - maybe even a rope hammock... (fantasizing).

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, I'll tell you what I've planted in my shady spot under a pergola that seems to be doing well--begonia, hosta, impatiens (doubles), coleus, torenia, cyclamen (just planted so not sure how they will do), & ajuga, deep blue lobelia, and another little groundcover that I can't remember the name and it's driving me crazy! It's small leaves that are green and pink with dots or spots and makes an insignificant small flower stalk that is best snipped (plant tends to get leggy). Anyone have the name for this guy? I can put picture if needed.
I also planted a Waterfall Japanese Maple, which completely defoliated but is now budding out! I'm really happy about that.
I planted nasturtiums but am thinking they need a bit more sun...
Good luck! You'll get lots of ideas now that you've asked!

casselberry, FL

thankz guys...i appreciate you taking the time to respond...yes im from ohio indiana and michigan...some short time in new hampshire...so i tooo am fasinated and love tropical plants i planted a travelers palm to the left of opening...love that and grapes on outside of trellis..im going to plant a cassia tree i love the way the trunks twist and are so woody...for lack of better term... thinking today of transferring my pitcher plant there from front porch oh and a pipe vine.....

Once you mentioned a water feature, I got stuck on a tropical grotto theme. Orchids? All sorts of ferns, shade-loving bog plants? Mandevilla on the outside for color?

bario - are you describing the polka dot plant (for want of botanical name)? Normally grown as a houseplant? I did buy some back in the spring for my annual pots in mostly shade and they did great. They get a thin flower stalk with tiny flowers.

casselberry, FL

thanks for the suggestions....all r wonderful...may have to build an adddition...haha

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, CindyM, hughughug! That's it! Thanks. Now I've added it to my journal and won't forget again! Janet

Janet - sorry I didn't keep the tag for the botanical name but I'm not sure it was even on the tag. Hmm - I bet it would be in the DG plant database. It did well in high shade but not sure how it would do in dense, close shade. I'm always looking for a lot foliage variety in the shade so if flowers are little more limited I at least have some foliage color (other than green).

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I used to live a little to the west of you. I think it's technically "sub tropical" but yeah, if you can sit out on the porch at Christmas, close enough.

I'd encourage you to think about natives. Stretch your growing zone a little to get some of the american tropicals if you need to, but try to resist the species originating in europe, african or asia. Back in the day, a shady spot in central florida would have been under an oak hummock, maybe near a fresh water spring, so you're perfectly positioned to use those plants. Maybe even some water or bog plants to go with your fish.

http://www.pollinator.org/OuterCoastal.rx5.pdf lists a bunch, just about year round flowers, some fruit, and some nice fragrances.

University of Florida has a small database, http://floridayards.org/ .

Keep us posted as you develop the area...

casselberry, FL

thank you good suggestions

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.