Thoughts and Good Wishes for Stormy

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sad to report that Stormyla had a fire at her home last Sat. The good news is that she wasn't home at the time and there were no injuries. The bad news is that it was a pretty involved fire and did a lot of damage. She is staying with a friend and can't use any part of her home. Lost all her clothes, computers, pictures and many or most of her treasured items. She still hasn't been able to get in to even see what she might be able to salvage.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh no! At least she is OK. What can we do to help?

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Thank God she's safe.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Stormy--

I am SOOOO sorry for your loss! Please know that I am thinking about you.

Nothing I can say will make it easier for you! I am, usually, at a loss for words
when a disaster strikes someone....

I know you have a bunch of people that will support you and "hold your hand"
through all this on your Cubit.....Al I can do is let you know that you are in my thoughts.....

Gita

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Just showing my love and support for you over here as well Stormy! Been thinking about you all day!

{{{{{Hugs!}}}}}

Karen

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Just wanted to drop in an say that I heard from Stormy last night. She wanted to thank you all for your kind wishes. Sounds like she really has her hands full right now. She spent a good bit of her day just waiting for the insurance co to meet her at the house. She still can't get inside. Sounds like there is a lot of damage.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for this thread Holly, and for keeping us updated.

As Stormy takes one step at a time/one day at a time thru this tragic fire's devestation, I hope us Mid Atlantic neighbors can lend a hand as well as our truly good wishes to her.

Please let us know if there are any practical things we can do Some times 'many hands' lighten the work. (Maybe some of us could babysit some plants til mom is home again or spend an hour or two getting her extensive gardens bedded down for the winter while she does what only she can do?)

Judy

Athens, PA

Oh, how awful! I am so glad she wasn't home at the time..... anything I can do, please let me know.....

Holly - please keep us posted.....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I will, didn't hear from her all weekend I know she has a lot to deal with and I don't expect to hear from her everyday. Hopefully things are starting to move for her the Ins. Co. and inspectors were taking their own good time .

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

My thoughts are with you, Stormy! I hope they (insurance people) are treating you right. Even though they act friendly and caring they are looking for reasons not to pay on a claim. Did the fire department, inspector come up with a cause?
Just hang in there, these things take awhile. {{{hugs}}}

Bowie, MD(Zone 7a)

I am so sorry for your loss, Stormy! Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Athens, PA

Chris

are you ever right on that one...... the insurance companies act as though they are concerned, however, they are looking for reasons not to pay. The only ones that seem to make out any more are the insurance companies......

Poor Stormy - I am just so glad she wasn't home when this happened. Does anybody know if Stormy has any pets that would/might have been home when this happened? I think about my poor animals if there was ever a fire.......

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I've been away and don't usually come to this site but somehow I was prompted to check in! Glad I did or I wouldn't have known about Stormy. You are in my thoughts and hope that you can begin to sort things out soon. I'm sure it is a very stressful time for you. Relieved to hear you weren't in the house at the time. Thanks Holly Ann for keeping us up to date.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

No pets.
Heard thru an acquaintance, Stormy is ok but very busy

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was away also and just read this.
Stormy, you are in my prayers!
If there is anything you need, you let us know.

Carolyn, my husband is a vol. Fireman and has taken some arson investigation classes, so I can understand where the ins. co are coming from. But sometimes they do go over board.
Our whole town went through the insurance process when the big tornadoes destroyed a big part of the town. One insurance company lost a lot of clients due to their investigators.
I just hope Stormy is with a good company and they treat her fairly.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow - so sorry to hear. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Chris my hubby too, was a fireman (fomer Captain).

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I left Stormy a message yesterday just letting her know how many people are thinking of her and wishing her well! I am thinking no response means she is busy getting things done and that's a good thing!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Praying everything goes well with the Ins. co. and getting the house renovated.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

This is shocking news--so close to base. It's very unsettling to hear that this happened to someone we know. I do hope Stormy can overcome this situation quickly, but I know her life's treasures can be a difficult loss to overcome. If there's anything we can do, just let me know.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thinking about you everyday Stormy.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I haven't heard from Stormy for a while now. I figure she is busy getting everything straighented out. Hopefully things are going well. I know that she lost her computers and doesn't have as much computer access yet. I will let you all know when I hear from her and I know she will stop by this thread when she can.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Update on Stormy:
Just want to let everyone know I had a message from Stormy, she has no computer and isn't able to be online. She is doing pretty good considering but is exhausted and very overwhelmed. I am going to give her a call back and see if I can set up a time to talk right to her. She did sound tired but I'll tell you it was GREAT to hear her voice I wish I had more details to pass on but at least we know she is coming along and can continue with our prayers, good thoughts and best wishes!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Luvs, When you talk to her tell her she is loved and missed.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I will Holly!!

It is good to hear something ! I think we were all pretty worried. Thank you Ronnie

Athens, PA

I agree with Chris. It is so good to hear something - especially something postive.

Thank you so much Ronnie for the update. I have been wondering about her.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for letting us know

Crozet, VA

I just found this thread today. Someone please send word to Stormy that I will be thinking of her and holding her close as she walks through this process. I{t sure makes a person stop and take stock when they hear of things such as this. Here is hoping that things will be going as smoothly as possible for her.

Thank you to those who have been in touch with her and have made reports here.

Ruby

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I just heard about this. I am so sorry. The only thing more difficult than dealing with tragedies is getting insurance companies to honor the claims for tragedies. I understand from my neighbor that there are increasing numbers of home arsons and car fires started by people in dire economic straits, but that is not an excuse to treat honest people like criminals. ( Don't get me started on insurance companies, I have been battling with Ohio Casualty Group for years over an auto accident, they did everything possible to avoid paying claims while I suffered without care and protested. Insurance is with another company now.)

She is fortunate to have a friend or family to stay with. Was her garden affected as well? We can at least save/send her seeds and plants.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I have not been online in the past couple of month and only saw this terrible news today. I am so sorry to hear about fire. Terrible. My thoughts are with her.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Just checking in to find out if Stormy is with us yet. We will continue to send her our virtual support until we can actually do something for her.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No new messages. I think she must be having a hard time right now especially with the Holidays and being displaced.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Does anybody (Ronnie?) have a current address for Stormy? Ella is getting ready to send her a seed box, and while she could ship it to me and I could get it to Stormy later, I thought it might be fun for her to have a bunch of seed packets to paw through...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Jill, I'll dmail you

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I talked to Stormy the other day. She is overloaded right now. Things with the Insurance Co are not moving forward. They did several invesgations to try and determine which electrical appliance caused the fire. She is spending all most all of her free time trying to invertory and value her belongings. Working in the house without any power or heat. They haven't started boxing up or cleaning her belongings yet let alone start repairs on the house. She is still living in a hotel, looking for a small home to rent but isn't having much luck as they all want long leases. On top of the mess from the fire this is her busy time at work so she is swamped. She says she wants her life back and really misses everyone. I told her about the Seed Swap not sure she will be able to come but at least she know about it.

We should all hold off sending her anything, except cards, until she gets this all sorted out and is back in her home.
In our town an organization has a house that they take care of. It is for folks that have a fire and no place to go. They live in the house until they can move back into their home. it is furnished and all the members do is clean it and get it ready for the next family. I wonder if Stormy has anything like that near her. I think it is the Moose Lodge that sponsors it.
Sally D-mail me as I would like to get a card ready for Stormy.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I know this experience would be devastating to anybody. It just proves to all of us to take pictures of our possessions from time to time regardless of whether our items have much value or not. It will help us prove to insurance co. what we had before a fire and also acts as a reminder to us. I would think at a time like this, one could easily draw a blank mind, what all was in a room and what replacement value is of our personal possessions. A church friend has been going through this and they've had to find a house elsewhere while their home is being rebuilt. Thank God they were not home when their fire happened. I read an article about this very subject a few years ago or read about it on the internet and Insurance co. tell you to take pictures of valuable pieces and put the photos in a safe or safe deposit box. Guess what, we still haven't done this..Our insurance agent does suggest to us every few years about increasing our replacement coverage.

(Zone 7a)

Just adding more thoughts and prayers for Stormy that things are moving along at a better pace. I too have been working on a treasure trove of seeds for Stormy - Sally, am sending you dmail.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.