New Ebucket thread (we continue)

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Gymgirl - I guess I'm just stingy when it comes to fertilizer. I always use the "less-is-best" approach. Plants get a small amount at transplant or when seeds are sown, then I side-dress during the summer every two weeks or so.

Right now, I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a little so I can fertilize the garlic and beets. We've had lots of rain recently, so they are probably hungry.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

This is the start of my E-bucket crop this year. I'm growing peppers away from the garden because I have a pepper virus in my soil. Hopefully I will be able to grow a few bell peppers. This batch is actually 'Yummy', a small sweet pepper like they sell at Sams and Costco.

David

Thumbnail by dreaves
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Those look GREAT!

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Okay, so, can I do lettuce and romaine in eBuckets? How many plants per eBucket can I plant? Strawberries?

You know, I think we should start a separate thread with 'recipes' of what we put/how many plants we put in eBuckets. I think that would be helpful.

What do you think?

Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm growing Romaine in an eBucket this year for the first time. I planted five seedlings after drilling five 1.5" holes in the bucket lid (one in the middle), and they seem to be doing well so far. I think the seed packet said to plant them 8" apart, so they are closer than that.

I grow leaf lettuce in other self-watering containers that have a larger surface area than an eBucket, but I thought the Romaine would welcome more growing room for it's roots.

I think you're idea for a thread on "how many plants in an eBucket" is great. I would call it the eBucket "Planting Guide", modeled after the EBox terminology.

Lane,
Go check out Kindlekat's raised eBed design, inspired by her use of the eBuckets!

gymgirl:

Do you have a link to Kindlekat's design?

thanks.

It's right at the top of the Self-contained Box Gardens Discussion Forum...

Hereford, TX(Zone 7a)

Here ya go.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1175894/

Darin

gymgirl:

Oh,didn't realize the link was there; sorry.

cool *ss project though! wow!

very creative! kudos to kindlekat

Hey there again:

I cut down one of my sunflowers, which was apparently providing shade to my lemon balm and mint. I'm thinking of starting an eBucket for each of them.

Has anyone tried herbs in eBuckets? I figure since it's for eating and I'm not using flowers, don't really need them outside - i can put them in partial sun/shade on my back patio.

What do you think?

Gymgirl: showed your project with my husband. he was impressed; and he doesn't impress easily.

I'm thinking of doing a salad green table now. :)

Thanks, all.

SoFlaCommercial,

Not sure which project you're referring to. I've made so many posts on so many things lately, I wouldn't want to take credit for someone else's idea.

If you're talking about eBuckets, credit should go to Gessieviolet for the design. I hold the unofficial tItles of "eBucket Queen," and/or "eBucket Cheerleader," because I took the design ball and ran with it, building an entire eBucket garden immediately after the design was launched.

As Lane (Gessieviolet) puts it, he was research & design, and I was implementation. I was growing so much in eBuckets, I became very knowledgeable about what the plants were doing in them!

And, as a prolific amateur writer, I found myself posting the results in easy-to-decipher, straightforward, instructional language. And, people who were looking for an efficient, economical container gardening method picked up the buckets and ran with 'em!

The rest is history.

This fall will be the first time I will have a raised bed dedicated to the majority of my crop. I will still, however, grow certain veggies in my eBuckets, for comparison research.

And, I will always promote eBuckets, in my attempt to "feed the world, one eBucket at a time!"

Linda

see what the mention of ebuckets gets yah?

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Have to confess, I've not tried Ebuckets, but have been growing in the patented EBs for several years. As a dedicated herbie, I think it's important to note that most herbs like well-drained soil, rather on the dry side, and require very little, if any fertilizer. But mint and lemon balm are quite hardy, and would probably be OK with the steady watering. I'd reconsider the fertilizer, though. Also, most herbs require full or part sun, so I don't think they'd be too happy in shade.

Keep us posted on your progress, please!

Mom,
Thanks for posting the herb growing instructions! Much appreciated.

Linda

Crestview, FL

I cannot grow lettuce this time of the year, unfortunately, it all bolts on me, it's too hot, so have to grow it as a cool weather veggie; but, made an agreement with my neighbor, we will take turns buying lettuce and bread, onion and bacon this year, as I have 60 tomato plants, 3 GPs of cukes, and 40 bell peppers, so will have a steady supply of BLT's, salads and mater/onion wiches.
joy

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

That sounds like a great arrangement, Joy.

I just spoke with my mom (she's 86, and she lives just a few minutes from us). She went to the store today to buy lettuce, and refused to pay $2.00/head. When I told her I paid almost $4.00/lb for zucchini a few weeks ago she was outraged! LOL She said she was very glad I was growing veggies this year, as high as our prices are. I've got leaf lettuce almost ready to harvest, and will plant onions, radishes and carrots this week in self-watering containers.

I'm about to enter into some cooperative gardening with some fellow DGers. It makes sense to swap excess rather than have it go to waste!

Quote from joy112854 :
I cannot grow lettuce this time of the year, unfortunately, it all bolts on me, it's too hot, so have to grow it as a cool weather veggie; but, made an agreement with my neighbor, we will take turns buying lettuce and bread, onion and bacon this year, as I have 60 tomato plants, 3 GPs of cukes, and 40 bell peppers, so will have a steady supply of BLT's, salads and mater/onion wiches.
joy

How do you know your lettuce is getting ready to bolt? how do you know it's ready to harvest?

Crestview, FL

When you go outside and there is a flower starting instead of lettuce you know it bolted on you, and when it bolts it tastes bitter. I love my lettuce and spinach, but; both are hard for me to grow because both seem to bolt on me so quickly.
joy

Joy,
When are you starting your lettuce and spinach?

Crestview, FL

This fall. It's way too hot for them now. I do wish I could grow lettuce and tomatoes in the same seasons, my weight and my dr would both love me; but, it's not possible. My eggplants are doing terrible this year also and I've replaced them once already with new plants. I used Jungle Grow professional mix this year, as I ran of coconut coir, and I mixed the Jungle Grow with perlite as it just didn't feel light enough. the leaves are yellowing up and turning brown and I have no idea what the fuss is about, as my tomatoes are doing well. Man, I miss that coconut coir.
joy

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Hello all!!
I just made two ebuckets and have a couple of questions.
Do i fill the bucket to the top with soil or a few inches from the top?
do I have to cover the bucket with a top or plastic? My patio can get really hot. I've put down a outdoor rug to try to combat this but it still gets a bit hot. I'm afraid to overheat the plants.
Thanks for any info provided!!

This message was edited May 7, 2011 12:44 PM

Luvcats,
I usually fill an eBucket to within 2" of the rim if I'm not covering it, so my soil won't wash out from any rain. And, sometimes I actually aim the hose at them from the top.

Covering with a lid or plastic serves several purposes. It keeps back splash off the bottom leaves, & it keeps the bottom leaves from sitting on the soil. It also keeps the heat in the soil, so the rug will help. Also, using light colored buckets in the summer helps deflect the heat.

But, I've never been overly concerned about heat build-up in the buckets. Probably, 'cause I never worried about it in the Earthboxes, which also have a built in reservoir.

Hope this helps!

Linda

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

It does! Linda! Thank You!
Have anyone decorated their buckets! My are the Lowes grey ones but i'm thinking of doing something to make them a little festive!
Tiff

There's a spray paint by Krylon, specifically made for plastics

Crestview, FL

Luvcats: I couldn't help but notice you used the word "soil"; that would be no-no dear. You should use a potting mix, as it is lighter and mix in some perlite to make sure the plant you put into the ebucket gets the proper amount of moisture. I've had problems with the full sun here in my area, especially when it comes to planting the plants right into the ebuckets or EBs. So; what I have done is when I buy the plant or the starting is big enough and hardened off, I let them sit in the back yard for a few days before transplanting them, if not they get stressed and die on me. Make sure to water the plants in when you do transplant them, getting all the air pockets out and you whould have no trouble. My front yard gets morning sun; but, the back yard where I have my ebuckets and EBs get full sun, all day long, and that can be a bit much, and they need to get used to it before transplanting them up into their new home.
joy

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I used MG potting Mix in both of the buckets. Sorry I should have been more specific.
So far so good on all the plants I planted!
oh another question, does anyone here use a rain barrel for watering. I'm thinking of making one but our patio is so small. I'm really doing alot in this tiny area but I think a rain barrel will be really useful.
Thanks!!
Tiff

Crestview, FL

Tiff: I think Boca Bob and perhaps Gymgirl used a rainbarrel but am not sure.
joy

Nope, I don't have a rainbarrel -- yet!

hey, all!

I'm thinking of making an ebucket for my mom up in Port St. Lucie, Florida. It's about an hour north of me. I *Think* it's zone 9b. She really wants some eggplants. Anyone have any experience and advice for eggplant ebucket? I figured since eggplant likes it hot, it'd be perfect.

Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

Quote from luvcats :
Hello all!!
I just made two ebuckets and have a couple of questions.
Do i fill the bucket to the top with soil or a few inches from the top?
do I have to cover the bucket with a top or plastic? My patio can get really hot. I've put down a outdoor rug to try to combat this but it still gets a bit hot. I'm afraid to overheat the plants.
Thanks for any info provided!!

This message was edited May 7, 2011 12:44 PM

The answers depend on whether you're using your ebuckets like a simple bucket or more like the actual EarthBox upon which it was derived. If you're doing the latter, you overfill the ebucket with a 2" mound of soil (to allow for some settling, but still keep the soil above the rim so that rain will not puddle) and then cover it with plastic. I use disposable shower caps ($2 for a pack of 8) which fit the bucket perfectly. The plastic helps retain water so you can wait longer between refills, and keeps the soil from splashing on the plant when it rains. If you also spread a cup of fertilizer around the outside edge of the bucket (like the fertilizer strip in an EarthBox), the plastic cover is essential to prevent this fertilizer from washing away and burning your plant through over-fertilizing. I have about 12 ebuckets right now, and nearly all of them are planted this way, mostly with tomatoes and peppers, but also Romaine lettuce and collard greens (with the greens, I mix slow-release fertlizer into the soil instead of the fertilizer ring). The only ebucket I have without a plastic cover holds carrots, where there are far too many seedlings to plant them through a plastic cover.

Also, if you use the 2-bucket design for an ebucket, it will help keep the plant a bit cooler because there is an air gap (thermal cavity) between the outside bucket and the soil.

This message was edited May 10, 2011 12:45 PM

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Hi again all. Been a while since I posted but have been keeping up with Ebucket comments ------ very interesting.

Read back over the post from the beginning and one absolute seems to stand out: YOU MUST USE A LIGHT POTTING MIX in the Ebucket; other than that, I am amazed and thrilled to see ingenuity seems to be the rule being followed more and more.

From the beginning I have encouraged users to take the attitude--I wonder if? and then try and see what happens

What kind of mix should I use? On this we all agree -- a soilless mix.-- whether it is level with edge of Ebucket or a little lower seems to be personal preference and each reason given has been excellent reasoning.

Do I need a cover? Many use them, others don't. Each has his reason. Personally, sometimes, I do--many times I don't. It is interesting that we use everything from plastic to mulch, or nothing at all.

Is the Ebucket affected by the extreme heat? I grew my tomatoes in full sun all day 100 degree heat (that killed everything in the ground) last year; some survived, most did not; I wonder if it is more of a plant variety stamina than the environmental factor (Ebucket)?

Gymgirl, you are rightly viewed as the authority on the Ebucket. Folks, you could have no more level headed, reasonable leader on this subject. Linda, I salute your humble informative attitude.

It is hard believe that this idea began to be promoted less than 2 years ago, yet it has such positive continuing following. I am proud to be a part of it all.

Lane Cockrell

This message was edited May 10, 2011 1:08 PM

Eggplants LOVE to grow in eBuckets. Single OR double design....GO FOR IT!

This message was edited May 10, 2011 3:19 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Oh, Lane! You're too modest. It was YOUR design!

Here's another ingenious adaptation of a bucket. Not necessarily an eBucket, but I could see a reservoir in that design. Anyway, it's brilliant small-space AND crop rotation gardening at its best!

Posted by BJWILSON in the Beginner's Veggie Gardening forum
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8552543
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8552547

Quoting:
I know this is an old thread, but I felt compelled to write this. I start my bush beans in starter pots all the time... and here's why.
In the picture below you can see the bush bean plants popping out of the holes in the side of this large bucket. The beans won't come out of the holes naturally if I plant them directly into the holes, so I start them in little 6 pack plastic starter pots that I save from buying annuals at the garden center. You have to be very careful to not disturb the little roots when you transplant them, but they will work. I don't start my seeds indoors though, I set them out on the deck in direct sun and keep them wet until I see some activity. Then. I cut back on the water for a couple days, but still keep them damp. These seedlings are about a week old. When I transplant, I tear or cut the plastic 6 pack and carefully remove the root ball and push the leaves through the holes in the bucket, then cover with soil, and water. Works every time. This bucket sits on my patio and gets full morning sun, filtered and scattered sun from nearby trees in the early afternoon, then about 2 hours of full evening sun.
I plant this bucket for two reasons.
1. I plant potatoes in this same bucket, and the same soil. The beans replenish the nutrients and clean up any bad bacteria the potatoes leave behind, so I can reuse the soil again and again. I grew potatoes in the bucket in the early spring... just harvested them, and will grow bush beans in the same bucket all summer. Then, I'll grow another fall crop of potatoes... planting in September.
2. My garden space is rather small, and we love beans. So, when my pole beans (climbing my corn in the background of this picture) start producing, I like to start my next crop. Just makes sense to keep the bucket full of something to eat.

Oh, and yes... the baby swimming pool in the background is growing watermelons. Cut the bottom out and it makes a great raised bed.

To which I replied:
BJWILSON!!!!
I am soooooooooooooooooooo GLAD YOU POSTED THIS! It is a totally brilliant rotation system, and right on time!

I've got potatoes growing in 15-gallon molasses tubs, and I've been agonizing over what to do with all that soil after the potatoes. You just answered my prayer!

Do you mind if I post this over on the SCVG forum, on the eBuckets thread? Gessieviolet (Lane) would be interested in your adaptation of a bucket.

Thanks, again!

Linda

And, finally, her?his? reply:
Of course Linda... after all... I had to steal the idea from someone else too. It works every time, and every year I have more potatoes and beans than we can eat. All out of that one bucket.
So glad you found your answer ... good soil is a terrible thing to waste.

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, Linda... the reservoir is a tall, skinny, plastic flower vase that I have sitting on top of a Folger's can turned upside down on the bottom of the barrel. I drilled holes around the bottom edge of the vase, and a few more about middle ways of the vase. I only use the reservoir for the beans... the potatoes don't need it.
I also use a design close to what I've seen here for my strawberries. Just a piece of pvc pipe with holes in it down the middle of a big pot (like trees are sold in). I turn a small quart size pot up side down in the bottom of the pot and tape the bottom of the pvc pipe with painter's tape... drilled holes around the pvc. then I water by pouring water down the pvc pipe.
Here's a picture of a new pot I just started... dolled it up just a bit with some red plastic spray paint.

Thumbnail by bjwilson
Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

I managed to get my tomatoes planted outside on 4/30 (last frost date is 4/23 in my zone), all of them in homemade self-watering containers. Clockwise from top left:

- In the EarthTainer III - Big Beef and Black Krim. I still need to build the support cage from two pea fences.
- In the EarthTainer II - Early Goliath and Juliet. When these get bigger, I'll attach another set of tomato cages on top (upside down).
- In a white 6-gallon eBucket - Black Prince. The 6-gallon buckets are harder to come by, but hold more soil and water.
- In the hanging basket - Tumbling Tom Yellow and Lizzano (not visible).
- In the red 5-gallon eBuckets - Mega Bite (2), Maskotka, and Patio Princess. These pickle buckets are $2 at Firehouse Subs.

Thumbnail by VitaVeggieMan
Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

More self-watering containers:

- Two EB's with staking system - three peppers of each type: Gypsy, Cajun Belle, Mariachi, Blushing Beauty
- Middle EB - three types of bush beans: Blue Lake, Purple Queen, Dragon Tongue
- Hanging basket - Lizzano tomatoes (2)
- Red 5-gallon eBuckets - peppers (Marconi Red, Giant Marconi, Super Chili hot pepper, Serrano Tampiqueno hot)

Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

Romaine lettuce in an eBucket (5 heads)

Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

Collard greens in eBucket.

Clifton, VA(Zone 7a)

Last one - I promise! Touchon carrots in an eBucket. This is the only one without a plastic cover or lid.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.