Baking ABM

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Get out that bread machine, dust it off and get baking, filling the home with warming smells.
I like to let my machine do most of the work, but I like to bake in the over. Here is something you might try for a anytime meal.
[b]Stromboli[/b]

1 1/2 cup water
2 tbs. butter
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper (fresh course ground is good)
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 1/2 tsp yeast.

process on dough setting.

fillings are up to you, try a ham and cheese, or pepperorni and cheese, add mushrooms, olives, peppers. just go for it! no sauce in filling that is for dipping.

remove dough from machine roll 1/2 into a rectangle. Place you choice of fillings in center of dough. Fold dough over and seal ends and seams.
Place seam side down on buttered baking sheet. Repeat with other 1/2 of dough.
Let rise for 30 minutes. Cut a few slits on top of dough to vent, brush with olive oil, I sprinkle a mixtuer of garlic and onion powder on the top as well. bake in preheated oven for 20 to 30 min. at 350º

Enjoy.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I need to get a bread machine, ya think hubby would get me one since he LOVES bread, he's like a bread connoisseur. Knows every place to get a certain type of bread.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

w went to a local but excellent Italian restaurant today (Bella Napoli of Pasadena MD) and their simple bread before the meal was some of the best bread I've ever had. Yeasty with a crunchy crust yet did not break your teeth or bend your jaws the way some frou frou 'artisan' breads do. Are you listening, Mr. "Panera?"

Thanks for the recipe. DH had a Calzone today. I have the yeast and bread flour, just not the machine.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Stuffing bread recipe, great for turkey sandwiches. I am going to make my stuffing with it.

1 1/4 cups water (70 to 80 degrees F)
1 egg
3 tablespoons dried minced
onion
1 tablespoon butter or
margarine, softened
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
3 1/2 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).

I use the dough setting and bake the loaf in the over.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Can sour dough bread be made in a bread machine?

Another bread that I'd love to find a recipe for is the three-cheese and semolina that La Brea Bakery sells at Harris Teeter. Yum.

Athens, PA

oh.... these look so good. Makes me want to get out the bread machine.

Nothing like some homemade bread with a bowl of home made soup - especially as it seems to be getting colder outside!

Here is one of my favorite bread machine recipes that I found on Allrecipes.com a number of years ago. I use it more often than any other bread machine recipe.

Jo's Rosemary Bread

Wonderfully generous with the rosemary, with support from a little black pepper and Italian seasoning, this bread comes out light and fragrant from the bread machine."

Ingredients:
1 cup water
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions:
1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select white bread cycle; press Start.

Crozet, VA

I will allow any one of you to smack me silly at your pleasure. I bought a bread maker at least two years ago and have never used it. Maybe this week or next when I am refusing to stress myself over unwrapped gifts, unbaked cakes and any other thing I feel I should be involved in, and pull the machine out and see what I can do with it.

Sally, your description of eating the tasty bread makes me happy. I am not sure I would classify bread as my favorite thing to eat, but it is really tasty from time to time.

I will get back with you all if I decide to try the bread maker soon.

Ruby

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Ruby, I'm not a huge bread nut either but this was bread worth taking note of. And the chef came out and said HelIo at one point since it was afternoon and not very busy. It was nice to be able to compliment him personally on it.

I had a borrowed machine and used it several times. It worked great. I have no room to store it handily so was just as happy to give it back. We did like the bread. I live deeply suburban and have so many stores near me that getting to a store for bread is so rarely an issue. What can I say? I'm not a baker.

Crozet, VA

Sally, you just gave some of the same reasons why I am not a baker either. With every new gadget or every new purchase I bring in to the house, John asks where I am going to put it. For about two months now I have been on a major de-cluttering gig. Many of the things that belong in a kitchen have now taken up residence in the front hall closet. That is where the break maker is now until the day I finally put it to use.

I did break down last evening and made two cakes. I am going to some day learn to quit bragging about my cooking abilities. I have made these same Applesauce Cakes for years and the ones I prepared last night would be classified as some of my untastiest. Don't know if my spices are old or the flour was old, or if I am just losing my touch. They are edible, just not as spicy as I remember them usually being.

I have recently renewed a friendship from Junior High and High School. My friend commented that she always loved visiting my house and eating the soup that my dad prepared. I bragged and told her that I gave him a run for his money because my veggie soups are always very tasty too. Well, lo and behold, we made a date for she and hubby to come and have dinner with us and eat the soup I was to prepare...and wouldn't you know it.....it too was some of the lousiest I have ever made. Now wondering if the cleaning job I did on my spice and herb cabinet may not have damaged some of my seasonings. hmmmmmm......will have to see how future foods taste and may end up spending a load of money to replace everything. DANG THAT!!!! Will give some serious thought to that.

Alright, maybe I have been sitting here long enough to be ready to get up and move around a bit. I see so much to do and don't feel like doing any of it. I know one thing....I won't get it done sitting here. Ya'll have a good one.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.