Another Harbor Freight GH question...

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

Has anyone had trouble w/ the door. Everything is level and all parts fit well except the door has some really big gaps. I tried using weather strip, but that does not seem to do the trick. It seems the worst part is on the back part of the door where you can't put weather stripping because of the roof slope. Does this make sense? If so what can I do. I thought maybe putting a clear shower curtain on the inside might help keep the cold air out, but I have spent so much on failed attempts I don't know how much more I want to spend.
Our night get really cold so my heater is working overtime. Need help soon!

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

As an added layer in my GH by the doors, I have a layer of plastic from the top of the door frame and long enough to puddle on the floor and about a foot wider so it doesn't blow if there is wind. I don't know if it helps the temperature but any breezes don't get in. Mine isn't HF.

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Cathy. I was going to put it up this week. More than anything I wanted to keep out any drafts. The gap is small, but I figure when it is windy it would pose a problem.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

My Harbor Freight GH came with a rubber strip that goes on both sides of the door. It is the 10 X 12 GH. Someone gave me a 6 X 9 Harbor Frieght GH which has a completly different door set up.
Which do you have?

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

I have the 6x8 and it does have a the rubber around the door, but for some reason it was not as tight as it should be. I was having a "duh" moment. I realized I could put a double layer of insulation tape on it and cut it as needed. Then instead of putting the insulation on the door I put it on the door frame (that keeps it from getting stuck).
Thanks for the responses.

Central Pa, United States

Hello,
First post and am new to this forum but I have an 8 X 8 Harbor Freight greenhouse we just put up this past month also (great price BTW!!!). I put window rubber calcking around the inside of the door frame then when I slide the door closed it touchs and blocks out that 1/2" gap....It's the foamy sticky one sided stuff you use around window sills and air conditioners...I'm sure you can find it at your local hardware store...it's cheap and does the job!

What are you growing in your greenhouse and do you have it up and running yet?

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I have a a variety of succulents, bromeliads, my large plants I use outside during the warm months. It is full.

Chinalady, what are you planning on growing?

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

Hallchinalady,
That is what I used. I don't know why I didn't think of it before...I think I might be loosing my mind at times.

I am growing geraniums, jasmine, and other tender perennials as well as a few veggies. I just started some seeds and will be putting them on a heat mat as soon as I get it. Right now it is too cold at night for most of them (55*F) so I have them indoors and put them out in the gh when it warms up around 8:30 or 9:00am. It is a pain, but I know they will do best that way. Once I get the mat I will not have to worry about it. I can't wait.
What are you growing?

I planted two kind of lettuce, spinach, endive and moved some of the celery I had that hadn't gotten frostbit yet. I have a tomatoe plant but then I'm gonna have to have heat.....
We put this up with the intention of takeing the window out and adding a door from the garage to it...that way we can heat it with the coal burner we have in there. But as of yet...no door. Doesn't look too good either as it's snowing outside. I should have planted it sooner. This was built for veggies only....my house plants (& orchids)are in the sunroom.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I just can't imagine the hurdles you go through in PA and CO just to keep plants.
I guess since it is easy to buy vegetables at the grocery year round, I don't grow any.

Easy to grow but expensive here.......Fresh veggies in the grocery store are astronomical this time of year.....fresh lettuce is getting $3.00 a head...and that's for the iceburg stuff that's like cardboard......
Have greenhouse...will grow!

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Do you order from one of the seed suppliers? If so which one is the best?

I have flower seeds that I have gathered if you are interested.

We have a local amish place here that has seeds year round as they tend to start their growing season in about a month...I love to look at the catalogs and have gone so far as to write an order...just never sent it in.
Thanks for the offer of flower seeds but I normally concentrate on veggies. I DO appreciate the offer tho.
Thanks again.

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

Plantsforpeg,
I don't grow them because it costs less, I do it for the fun of it. My DH has some really pricey hobbies so I feel justified in this one. I get really bummed in the winter when I can't garden and I don't have any good light in the house for it. I don't just grow veggies either, I grow several types of flowers that will not overwinter here outside. I also started some seeds now so they will be good and strong when planting time comes around. It is so much fun to be able to do those types of things when it is 30* in the day and in the teens or less at night!

Hallchinalady,
That is one expensive head of lettuce!!! I am looking forward to starting my brussel sprouts and okra early! Our season is too short to get a really good crop so I will be starting those next month to get a head start.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I really believe my little GH is like medicine for me in the winter, it makes me feel so good to play in the dirt and be in sunlight on bitter cold days.

Husband opened up a door into my new greenhouse for me this past weekend...it's 50* in there now...with it 25* outside....so cool! I started some stuff (mostly lettuces and cabbage) a few weeks ago...and it's starting to sprout....I just got a box of worm manure delived (thank you USPS) and put some of it on the sides of the bed.....
It is nice to go out and just putter when it's cold outside.

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

Congrats! It is just too fun to defy mother nature.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.