Replacing glass with polycarb panels

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I've been given a 'free for dismantling and removal' an 8x12 Elite greenhouse. I would like to replace the roof glazing with double wall polycarbonate panels for strength as where I have to locate it has some possible tree branch probs. Have any of you done this ? What difference if any does the weight of the glass (as opposed to light weight of poly) have to do with overall structural integrity of entire greenhouse? It will be well-anchored to the ground and somewhat sheltered from wind gusts.

Do you think that the 'clips' that hold the glass panes in place will be sufficient to hold panels?

Any and all suggestions and advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Judy.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

You could add clear acrylic caulk to help if you think it needs additional holding power.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks for your response Cathy. I will be using an elastomeric caulk for any twinwall 6mm panels I do use for the roof as I understand that Polycarb panels expand/contract more than the horticultural glass.

My concern is that if the aluminum frame with polycarb panels "works" more (in wind or snow load) than the same frame with the 1/8 inch double strength glass , then using polycarb on roof and glass on sides and ends could do in the glass. With glass the roof is rated for 6 inch snow load.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again, Judy

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

that sounds like a question for a mathematician, can't help you :D

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Hmmm, Maybe those of you with some glass greenhouses could tell me your experience with glass breakage? Was any breakage you have experienced due to frame flex or flying or falling objects or?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.