Apropos of Nothing v.20

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1128873/

This thread can't be derailed because there's no topic. HA!

WARNING- there may be discussion of guns, tattoos, pest removal or other potentially 'horrifying' subjects. If you can't handle that, this is not the thread for you. Disagreeing about a subject is okay, flaming people is not.

I just spent an obscene amount of money on Halloween candy for both here and Tracy's office. Don't want to take any chances on running out, though. We had 97 kids here at home last year, and it seems to go up yearly. They bring groups of kids through all day at Tracy's office, too- on the weekday closest to Halloween.

Thumbnail by the1pony
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I just pictured a bunch of adult seedheads going door-to-door in DIY costumes, asking for Trick-or-Seeds and snatchin' seeds from flowerbeds.

Maybe dressed as their favorite flower or vegetable ...

Corey

Oh, I like that idea... LOL

(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

I am so far behind that I will never catch up if I try to comment on what I would like to from the last thread, but wanted to be sure to hit the big points...

Pony, hope your healing is still going well. It will be well worth the suffering now to be able to play in the dirt pain free next spring!

Kyla, A belated welcome! This is a wonderful place to hang out as I am sure that you are finding out.

Lynn, I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Bunches of cyber hugs from Mom and I until we can give them in person! At least if this diagnosis is acurate, you will be finally moving forward towards some therapy/treatment that should help rather than feeling miserable and playing the guessing game with drugs and still feeling like crap. Sending positive vibes in your direction........

We have been crazy busy over the last two months, so we haven't had much time at all to spend on line and have been missing hanging out here, but once the weather really sets in, I am sure that will change.

(Judi)Portland, OR

I have also been way too busy, and manage to just read some threads. Work has been fast-paced and I'm so glad I'm only there 2 or 3 days a week! Next we are expecting some decent weather so I plan to pull out the vegetables, especially the tomatoes that have just given up. When the cold and rainy days come back I hope I have more time!

Pony how is your recovery coming along?

Lynn, I hope you are feeling better, and finding some peace in knowing what is wrong. Hugs.

I'm healing up- I wind up hurting more often than not because I have to use my arm a little heavier than it likes, but I gotta do what I gotta do. At least now it isn't any worse than before the surgery- that's something, I guess... hehe.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

I know pony remined you the photo contest is on. Just wanted to emphasize that it is only open for another week or so. Here is the thread:

http://davesgarden.com/contest/2010-photography-contest

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Unless I find the link in a thread (as in Sharon's above), I can't locate it anywhere. Is it in a secret spot? How and when do we vote?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I don't know how to vote either, but it comes up in a week or two.

Advertisement: I entered my Frog Zinnia. I'll try to figure out whether it was in the "funny wierd" category, or Garden Friends.

Corey

Bonehead, from your DG homepage, click "Extras" then scroll down to the bottom- there's a link to the photo contest archive, then on that page you find the current contest. They sure don't make it easy, huh?

Voting isn't open until Tuesday the 9th.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

At this time, this link will take you to the photo contest:
http://davesgarden.com/contest/2010-photography-contest/contest.php?catid=366

Corey

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Corey, my cat is named Zinnia! She's a tortoiseshell and the orange gave her her name!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm finally getting my new room upstairs together with all the craft stuff.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Here's the little 'Granny corner' I fixed up.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

Great Willow! Looks like you will be busy when the bad weather sets in for the duration.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Thought I'd share the funny sentiment from a card my sister sent me: "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think." Dorothy Parker.

*snork*

Willow, your room is great! How nice it is to have an area to work on projects that you don't have to clean up in the middle of or in my case, move if you want to eat your dinner at a table....

Bonehead..... giggling .... ^_^

I have to share a picture that although it is a horrible photo, still makes me smile. It was the opening of our bird season over in EWA the weekend before last, and Mom, Phoenix and I went over, as well as my brother, our friend, and Phoenix's Mom, Dad, and sister. At the EWA house, dogs get to come inside and enjoy the wood stove, but have to stay in the Arizona room as the light pink carpet throughout the rest of the house is not very "dog friendly". This was the first morning as we were getting ready to go.... can you see the excitement in their glowing little eyes?

Thumbnail by Rarejem

One of the reasons that I love these trips is that I love to watch the dogs work, and it is such a joy to see the bliss on their faces. Another reason is that there is ALWAYS something new to discover... even in areas that you have walked dozens of times before. We started at a new area this year, and climbed down a small canyon to follow the creek at the bottom. The creek averaged about 10 feet across and about six feet deep....crystal clear and beautiful. We followed it upstream for a couple of miles.........and then it just ended! It ended (or started really) in a sandy basin where it just bubbled out of the ground and it honestly sounded like it was singing to you with a blurp blurp blurp sound. I have never seen anything like it, especially in the middle of the desert. I was amazingly cool.

This is a picture of the area that the creek emerged from the ground.

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Neat!

That's really cool, Julie. :) So you guys hunt birds? What, like pheasant? Have you seen that crazy bird shot that's made out of seasoning pellets? LOL what will they think of next?

Speaking of hunting, well, fishing, actually... when you and Sharon go on your big fishing trips, is it a charter company you use? I really want to go try fishing for cod sometime, but we would have to go on a commercial trip, since we don't have a boat or the proper gear for that sort of thing.

Willow, your craft room looks great. I hope yours doesn't suffer the same fate as mine. It keeps getting turned into a storeroom, and I have no space to actually do any crafts. Sigh.

Pony, We are bird hunting... pheasant is the main objective, although we can go a full day (which usually involves six to ten miles of walking, and some of it is REALLY rough) and only see one or two birds. I think that a big part of the whole draw is just sharing time and experinece with your furries and people you really enjoy.

When we fish, we fish with Oak Bay Marine Group. It is pretty spendy because it is Canada based and all of the trips involve a plane ride. Still... it is the adventure of a lifetime.... I know that there are several good charters that go out of the Westport area, but we have never fished them. It does make a difference though, to have all of the gear, bait, etc all ready for you. You could spend a fortune just on equipment alone otherwise....

Pony, many years ago we took a cod fishing charter out of somewhere in Tacoma and fished off of Point Defiance in the Sound. Caught lots of cod and had a good time. I remember it was in colder weather, but can't remember much more. Don't know now what the quality of fish is there these days.

Ohhhh the spendy trip would probably be too much for us. LOL I'll do some investigating for companies in the Tacoma area- I have heard you can fish cod off of Point Defiance, but I had forgotten about that. I think it's too late in the year now, I'd rather go when it isn't so cold... LOL but maybe we can figure something out for next year. Thanks, Ladies! :)

What a dreary nasty morning! What a huge change from the last several days.... we have been looking at those days as a precious gift this fall! I was fortunate enough to have a day off on Thursday, and spent all of it finding a sunbeam to work in in the garden.... fall cleanup and shredding leaves.

I had to take this picture because the colors were so vibrant and it is not often that I find all of our big garden helpers in a static state at the same time. They were enjoying the sunbeam too!

"The beast that guards and watches............."

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And the end result of the project of the day.... part of the pumphouse garden cleaned up for winter, topdressed with tagro, and then mulched with shredded maple leaves. I love how the leaves make the garden look... adds some nice color through the winter.

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

the newbie here agrees with you about the change in the weather, Julie! Definitely a major shift...... I spent near the whole glorious day Thursday in the car driving to look at a potential rental for myself on the Peninsula, and then back....... and at the end of the day kind of wished I had been able to be outside more as I knew it was a rare treat of sweet weather..... ah well!

guess your canine garden crew knew too, and soaked up extra for the coming drear, eh? Lovely pictures, I can almost smell those leaves...... nice.

Kyla, At least you had a chance to do your treck to and from the peninsula in the sunshine! It is beautiful, and is much easier to enjoy when the weather cooperates. Did you have any success finding a place?

The nice thing about the PNW is that "usually" even through the winter we will have nice little breaks in the weather to keep away the gloom. If we do end up having an exceptionally gloomy or cold winter, keep your chin up because spring is just around the corner, and there is nothing like the PNW in the spring!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

thank you, no, as of yet none of the places I have looked at are going to work...... but I am not about to become discouraged with the weather..... I still have room for some enjoyment of gloom and cloudy mizzle, in my being! having moved from such an arid place.

Yesterday Gwendalou was kind enough to give me a speedy tour of some of her neck of the woods, and this picture is from an amazing gorgeous big garden over there, some parsley gone to flower next to dino kale, nice contrast! this was before the weather totally socked in, it was still just raw and overcast.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

and here's a closeup of that rather stunning table in front of the greenhouse......

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Lake Stevens, WA

Love the greenhouse! Good luck with the house hunting.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Nice pictures RJ and Kyla. Love the dog pic.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

What's the table for? It looks as though it were designed with a very specific use in mind.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well I don't know for sure but I suspect that when produce is in season enough that this place is selling fresh picked items, they might be displayed and arrayed along the expanse of that table...... that sort of thing..... Gwendalou will have to tell us! as this is the only time I have visited out there.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We Alaskans too experienced a cold change. I left my sailboat with regret today for a trip back home. Pictures to follow tomorrow. Julie I miss the great pheasant hunts in EWA. Though tomorrow I hunt the great white tail. Need this years red meat. Had lots and lots of halibut, shrimp, and salmon.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2010 8:19 AM

Oh yum. I love halibut. Shrimp, too. I haven't gone shrimping in a few years, we always seem to be busy when it's the right time for it up at Hood canal.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

If you come to Hood Canal you had better get your rear over to my place. ^_^

You know it, Willow. I didn't make it up there this year at all. I usually go at least a couple of times in the summer. Tracy's parents have a little house just out of Hoodsport that is kind of a seasonal home for them.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have lots of you to see in Olympic penninsula. BUT I rarely get there so when I do I will visit Dan (Hinkley) and Robert (Jones) and all of you but it will be a trip with my Grandkids to a campsite along the Olympic beaches. So to be determined this summer. Got to get my Grand childs into roughing it in tents first then take them cruising on Puget Sound in my "Man Cave". They need to learn the secrets of tidal pools and how to eat raw fish.
My Man cave yesterday. Ahhh what a wonderfull place the last 2 weeks.

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.