Praying Mantis cocoon inside! Need advice

Falling Waters, WV(Zone 7a)

We brought in all of our tropical plants yesterday and discovered that one of the small trees has a cocoon attached!

Not sure what is the best way to help these mantis' to survive until spring.

It's no problem cutting off the branch, but I don't want to just lay it on the ground. I could try to secure them higher up under our 2-story deck or something, I suppose, but I'm not sure what would work during winter winds.

Also-- it's to be in the 70'sF all next week and I worry that they'll hatch out prematurely even if I put them outdoors!

Would it be possible, or better if I can somehow store it (maybe in a ziplock?) in the freezer or the refrigerator all winter?

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

If it were me, I would cut off the stalk that has the egg case and take it outside I would then find a suitable host plant and secure the egg case to part of this plant.. Every year there is an egg case or two in my ornamental grasses about midway between the seed head and the ground. Others may suggest some other plants....When the nymphs emerge in late spring they will need plenty of aphids or other insects to eat so I would definitely put them in the garden.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.