Which of these plants should go here?

Herndon, VA(Zone 6b)

I recently created two new beds to help feed my habit... er, provide more spots to place the various potted plants that are sitting on my back porch waiting to go in the ground. :)

I have two beds that are ready to go but I am not sure what to place in them. The first bed is on the south side of my home, full southern exposure (zone 6b/AHS 7) and runs along the fence that is perpendicular to the driveway. I have a small red maple (1 yr old) centered 6 feet in front of the bed which is 6 feet wide and about 15 feet long.

The driveway is quite long, so I am not sure whether I want to plant something large there to make it seem less deep or whether I want to plant smaller bushes that will not distract from the maple (once it grows) and the fence behind it.

Close up:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_wrR4Ke5RZ5g/TMGZJWJ5GoI/AAAAAAAABtw/J0ywdTUq_Hc/s800/001.JPG

From a distance (only about half way to the street - driveway is LONG):

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wrR4Ke5RZ5g/TMGZKe_-UUI/AAAAAAAABt4/HRJtB-wl-Fc/s800/003.JPG

The plants I have that need to go in somewhere (and might work here) are the following:

Confederate Rose - will become a tall, 10 foot small tree
European Snowball Bush - also a small tree, the kind with the big white pompom flowers
Minerva Rose of Sharon - I have two of these
Variegated Rose of Sharon
Black Lace Elderberry - two of these
Midwinter Fire Redtwig Dogwood
Butterfly Bush - I have three of these, they are the really big kind
Variegated korean forsythia
Blue Shadow Dwarf Fothergilla
Flowering Quince - two of these, one is peach and one is red
Snow Storm Spiraea
Abelia - two of these, a Little Richard and a Compacta
Lady in Black Aster
Loropetalum Chinense 'Zhouzhou' - two of these

The bed is big enough for three large bushes, and I was thinking of possibly doing something like two loropetalum (for the red foliage) with a butterfly bush in between them - but not sure how this will look with the maple eventually right in front of three very large bushes.

Any advice?

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!