New Bees 10/17/10 friends - new and old...Come on in...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Fall is in the air... What's going on in your garden?

This is the place to chat and hang out and share with friends - new and old...

Any links you all want me to add to this let me know!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1124632/
Come on in...

Direction for free seeds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Newbies that get lost and found here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Beds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Thumbnail by locakelly
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I have a couple more things that never got answered on the Ask a Gardener Sight. Since you guys are sooooooo smart and someone always seems to have an answer, I'm going to repost them here.

Is this clematis seed? Will it grow new plants?

Crit

Thumbnail by Crit

This plant has gotten real leggy. Can it be pinched back and the parts be rooted into another plant?

Thumbnail by Crit

I have a datura moonflower plant. It had 2 rounds of blooms about 3 or 4 weeks ago and nothing since. I didn't pick the blooms off as I wanted to get some seed off of it. The seed balls are still green. Now, 2 questions:

1. Why is it not continuing to bloom?
2. How long does it take the seed pods to grow and dry to where they are ready to
pick off?

Thumbnail by Crit

More close-up picture of #2

Thumbnail by Crit
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mekos will know for sure, but some Clematis seed is sterile. So I think it depends on the variety.

What is the leggy plant?

My Datura gets no supplemental water and I live in the desert, so they like no water;o) Mine will get a round of blooms then stop then another round. I also do not fertilize it at all.

The seed pods take a while to dry. They will turn brown, but you have to watch them close as they will split and spew their seeds everywhere. Check them and if they look like they are starting to split, use gloves and hold the pod while you cut it off. They are very sharp and remember that Datura seeds are very very poisonous. So much so that I have read that one or two seeds ingested are enough to kill a person! I would leave 2 or 3 pods to ripen and cut off the rest and dispose of them where children or pets cannot access them. That might help your plant put out more blooms faster if it's not trying to ripen all those pods. There are a lot of seeds in one pod...

Someone told me what the red plant was, but I can't find the post if I saved it. I'll keep looking.

There have been several times when the Datura started wilting for lack of water, so I watered it. Never have fertilized it. I don't know what the heck is the deal. Oh well, maybe it will do better next year.

I have wrapped nylon panty hose around and tied on about 5 of them, so that they will be caught in case they burst and I'm not around.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2010 4:10 PM

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Reposting:
Crit, the brand I can get is Hormodin. It's commercial root hormone and the size I can get is a large 1 lb tub. There are three different ones:

Hormodin 1- $24.95 plus shipping (no tax)
General purpose for propagating roses, carnations, poinsettas, some shrubs and most home and garden plants.

Hormodin 2-$28.95 plus shipping (no tax)
for propagating woody and semi woody plants including evergreens

Hormodin 3- $24.95 plus shipping (no tax)
For propagating the more difficult to root varieties including evergreens and dormant leafless cuttings.

I put it on here in case anyone would like to order it. You can just dmail me and let me know. I will have to call and find out about shipping cost. I would be happy to split one if anyone needed me to do that.

The hormodin 1 looks like what I would need. I certainly don't need a pound of it. If you can get some to split it, I think 1/4 would be more than enough to do me for my lifetime! :-) I could even do with less.

Thanks,
Crit

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Let me know what a 1/4lb. is and I'l take a bit to help crit.
Crit, I use the oxygenated water on my Desert Roses and it helps them,
I don't think it will do any any harm, you will have to experiment.
Mechelle, too bad you don't live closer I got a beautyberry shrub with purple berries on it , also got a white one, you could take cutting of. Both are pretty and pretty drought resistence.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Let's say $6.50 for 1/4 lb plus 3.50 for shipping. Does that sound right?
RRM if I lived closer, I would be asking for CP's! but the Beauty Berries sound pretty ;-)

I can send you some berries if you like. Want some before the birds get them? They say they are easy to grow. I stuck some branches in the soil if they root I'll get you one. O.K.???

That will be fine Mechelle. Want to just trade the postage for the jew for the hormone?

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Sure Crit I can do that. I will try to get it ordered today for you. I have a busy day planned but will let you know when I send it out. Are you in the address exchange?

Yes, I'm in the address exchange. I have some wj to send out tomorrow and will pick up one of the boxes at the P.O. May be able to put them in the mail on Wednesday.

Crit

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

RRM, would love some beauty berry cuttings. Dmail me, girl

Booneville, AR

rrm will horsetail take a bog garden over do you think the miniture peace lilly would grow in a bog garden need a list of things that will grow in a bog garden. love nettie gona have to go back to ft smith no moss or anything in booneville and not going to get anything this year. thats the pits.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2010 10:17 PM

Booneville, AR

mekos can i use peat moss and corse sand in my bog or no. thanks nettie.

Booneville, AR

kelly thanks for the new thread much better. im haveing a bad day mark took fluffers for a hair cut poor little dog got scalped he will grow out but he needs a jacket for going out to do his business ill come up with smothing.he is laying on my feet curled up in a ball.im yhinking he is cold may heed to get his blanket.my poor littlr dog, where is everyone love and hugs nettie.

Booneville, AR

crit the red plant looks to me like it would start real easyjust cut below a leaf at a joint dust with a little root hormone and stick in some soil it may root in water you could try a piece of it both ways it looks alot like a begonia don;t know which one. nettie

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi my name is Elaine and I'm a newbie, thought i'd introduce my self as i've been trying to get around to doing so, but I got Garden Fever and have been planting bulbs and pulling bulbs left and right.

I get like this in the spring when i feel the need to rearrange all of my furniture,lol

Anyway, Hi all
and hi from mama's lil helper too

Thumbnail by Jimenez_Garden

WELCOME Jimenez! This is a great sight, you will love it!!!!

Nettie
Horsetail if not kept in a container will spread and spread and spread. If that is what you want it will work great for you. If you want it to stay in it's own little space without a container, you don't want it. I have starts of it if you need some. I had it planted by a water fountain in a triangle of dirt by my front door at the old house. I started having it come up through the cracks in the driveway, etc. Once you plant it, it is there. Very hard to remove!
The red plant is not a begonia. It's hard to tell because it lost a bunch of leaves when I wasn't able to water for several days. I have dug it and put in pot to bring in for the winter.

Crit

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Morning peeps and welcome Elaine! I'm off to work so I'll see you all later...

Welcome Jimenez, Beautiful, handsome little helper you have there.
Nettie Crit is right. Somethings put in a bog need to have a container to controll them or they will run everywhere. Peat and sand in a bog is also good, Nettie.
Be gettng you a d-mail, Mechelle .

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the warm welcome in this cold weather, brrr my veggies will need scarves tonight, and my vestibule looks like a nursery...

does anyone know how long peppers and tomatoes will last in a cold frame? I still have LOTS of vegetation growing with some cold burn on the leaves from the nights getting colder. and i'm wrapping my garden up like a gift in Christmas with heavy plastic. But i don't know if it will work or help...
(=^O

Booneville, AR

ok no horse tail don,t need yhat stuff in everything. thanks nettie

Booneville, AR

got everything i need at lows good to find all of it in one place. plus they still had some of the purple passion plant my daul wonted one and i wasn.t giveing her myne. got her one of her own. love nettie

Booneville, AR

hi elaine my puter skills are not very good just wonted to say good morning and hope you enjoy all the neat people on dg i sure do lots of real plant smart people on here . we love gardening just about everything. ive got garden club today so will be gone most of the day love and hugs nettie. talk later.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Hi Elaine, welcome aboard our crazy train. I don't get on as much as I should, but everybody here knows me by now. We're a great bunch to chat with.

Al

Yep, We help if we know or try to get you help if we don't.
Al's right. Great Bunch!!!!

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks guys you are all soo nice. I love gardening too, I never knew just how much i loved it until i got my first fresh tomato and potato from my 2ft garden in 06' after spending 200.00 in 05' and everything died on me,lol.

but anyways, my babies are jumping on me gotta goooo

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey Everybody
Does any one know of flowers that grow well in spots with morning sun only?

And whats the HOTTEST pepper out there?

heres my future gardener in training... lol

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Lots of plants do well in am sun only. It's a must here in the desert - lol... Mostly only natives or things from similar climates can handle our full on furnace blast...

The Bhut Jolokia or Naga Jolokia chili from India has been certified as the world's hottest pepper by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

Wow thats great, My hubby loves hot pepper and e's always boasting about it so i plan to get him good next year, maybe on his birthday, i'll give him a nice surprise and see if he can handle it, hehehe,
lol
}=^]

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

They are hot - so hot that most people can't eat them - lol... but some do;o)

Booneville, AR

im saying goodlooking young man what is his name? im not good at telling girls from boys plezse forgieve me if i got it wrong. all i know how to do is chainge diapers and do the rocking chair thing.they also like the porch swing im good at the last two things. i love little ones girl and boys both the same have 8 or 9 grandchildren. love nettie

Booneville, AR

half the things in my yard are morning sun only and im still looking for more morning sun only places. may have to make some more afternoon shade just don,t know where to look for it.

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

A part of me definitely doesn't want him to get hurt or anything... but another part wants to see if he'll spit fire,lol

I think he can handle it, He eats seranos jalapenos and habaneros raw or sliced up in about everything.

We even went to Quaker Steak and Lube, mostly a wings place, and they made him sign a waiver of liability to get their Atomic sauce on his wings. He ate it but I thought i saw a little tear sprout from the corner of his eye,lol

Jessup, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey littlenettie,

My son's name is Matthew,he actually just turned 9 months and My other 2.5 yr old is Nathaniel. the Light and pains in the butts of my life, lol but they are mine forever...

What kinda plants do you have, maybe we can trade, I have sun loving plants and herbs and veggies too.

Booneville, AR

my sons were a joy to have when they were growing up oldest son is a nurse youngest works for cox communication and keeps his momas puter going when i mess it up. which is often. im not good with the puter at all. love nettie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.