wood stove in greenhouse

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

My husband wants to put my small chiminea in the greenhouse. He thinks if he vents it from the top of the chimney to the outside that it will be safe to use with small fires. It is making me nervous. The GH is just 8x8.

Does anyone use a fireplace inside their GH?

Thanks!

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

I don't even have mine up yet, but I have done a bit of research on the subject. Most people don't like to use them because if the fire goes out in the middle of the night you have to get up and add more wood to it.

Thanks for your response. I should have mentioned that I would have a small milk house heater in there as back-up. He's hoping to cut down on the electric use, it would click on much later in the evening. He gets free dry wood at work that isn't treated.

Greeley, CO(Zone 5b)

That should save some money. Have you looked at some of the older posts to see if anyone uses one. That might help out a bit. I don't have any of the web sites saved, but you can do a search of "greenhouse fireplace" or even the wood pellet stove. That might give you some extra information. There is a ton on the wood pellet and some sites go into how far away from the walls it should be and proper venting. Good luck!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

cathy, my first greenhouse was heated solely with wood. It was approximately 12' x 18' and it worked great. However, I used a nice wood stove that could be damped down to provide heat throughout the night. Your chiminea, being basically an open fire pit (albeit contained) will offer some heat but only for a limited time.

If it were me I'd tell your hubby to go for it. Any form of free heat in these times are a plus. After all, the longer you can keep your milkhouse heater from kicking on the better, eh?

Lastly, keep in mind if your g-house is really airtight there will be a time when the fire will go out prematurely due to lack of oxygen. If so, this can be remedied by having hubby vent a pvc or water pipe thru the wall and under the chiminea so it will pull in air/oxygen from outside for the fire to burn.

Hope this helps.
Shoe

Thank you all for the responses, I hope we can try it out soon, we are moving things around to make a safe space. I know the GH isn't completely airtight so that shouldn't be a problem.

West Branch, IA(Zone 5b)

I have heated my 10 x 19 greenhouse with a woodstove for many years.My gh is connected to an enclosed back porch & the stove is on the porch next to it. There is a doorway & window so the heat flows out there. My stove can be loaded at 11 PM & it lasts all night.
The stove is a box type,but much better than the box stoves they sell at places like Lowes & Harbor Freight. The more efficient the stove,the fewer headaches.
At one time I had a house full of orchids that done well with the wood heat.
Doris

Thanks Doris, hubby is supposed to set it up this weekend, we shall see, lol.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.