Is it safe to move/plant perennials in October (zone 6b)?

West Norriton, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Gang! It's been a while since I've posted anything ... but I have been checking the forums often. I need your advise:

I need to move several perennials, is it safe to move them in October? I've looked at several articles, postings, sites and the general consensus is ... yes, no, maybe!?!?

I also have several perennials I started from cuttings this summer. Is it safe to plant the cuttings in the garden now or should I just over winter them in the garage?

I garden in zone 6b.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I quite often plant perennials in Oct. Mostly they have been fine. I think the idea is to get them in early enough for the roots to get a hold before the ground freezes. Most of the perennials I plant in the fall are ones that didn't find homes over the summer not ones that I transplanted. They are usually smaller plants that I had been growing in pots much like your cuttings. I have some at home right now that need to go in the ground when I get home, they are in 4 in pots. As far as your cuttings go it depends on how small they are how well rooted they are.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh gosh I do almost all my planting and moving stuff around in the fall.
That's all I did today extended a bed with daylilies, scabiosa, rose campion, gallardia, astranita....ok I'm sure you get the point.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I like to move things in the fall also. I find that the cool weather is easier on them getting adjusted. The early spring is good too due the cool weather.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Michael,

Fall is the ideal time to plant anything that is perennial--especially trees and shrubs.
Moving them is OK too--just trim them back pretty good b/f you move them. Baby steps here.....:o)

If your small perennials are well established--go ahead and plant them now-like everyone
else has advised you. If you are not sure how hardy they may be--you can still plant them, but protect them a bit.
One thing you can do--if you are not sure--is dig your small pots of new perennials into a bed--
somewhere against the house, or any other sheltered spot. This way they will still get to
"experience" the cold season and march on as Spring comes around.
You can also throw a pile of dried leaves over the spot to further protect them.

Keeping perennials in the house is not too great an idea--as they need all the seasonal changes to grow.

The main reason Fall is so good for planting is that the soil is still warm for a couple of months to come-
-and plants will root in/establish easier.
IF you plant in the Spring--the soil would be ice cold and not so conductive for plants to root in.

In gardening--we all take chances. Sometimes we win--sometimes we lose. It is called "experience"....
And we ALL learn from experience....then it is called "knowledge".....

Just adding my 2cents worth here......best wishes to you in your gardening....

Gita

West Norriton, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, I took your advise and moved all of the well-established perennials -- it would have driven me crazy to wait until spring (plus I would probably forget which ones I wanted to move). As for the perennials/evergreens I started from cuttings this summer, I may put some in a cold frame, some in my uninsulated garage (it gets cold but never freezes) and plant a few along the south-facing foundation of the house. I think all of these plant are very hardy in my zone - here's the list:

-lobelia cardinalis
-nepeta faassenii ' blue wonder'
-euonymus japonica 'green spire'
-euonymus japonica microphylla 'butterscotch',
-tricyrtis samurai (Toad Lily)
-penstomen
-Ilex
-Nipponanthemum nipponicum (Montauk Daisies)

I knew I could count on this group for lots of advise.

Thank you!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Usually I do my transplanting in the spring. But after this discussion I started looking at some that I want to move and thinking why not move them now. Not sure if I will get it done so much to do this fall but it did make me think.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

Hi all. I wanted to let you know, I have a bunch of Purple Wandering Jew in 2 whiskey barrells (I use it in front of other plants to trail over the rim) that is going to freeze this winter. I bring a bunch of it in, but there is more than I want to mess with. I can send 7 or 8 branches in a manilla envelope for around $2.74. I've send some out already. I would send it out for a flat $2.50 (I would prefer postage) rather than try to keep track of how much postage is on each of them. I will try to get as close to that rate as I can when I package them. I will be sending it out until it is gone. Most of them already have roots on them.
Soooooooooooo, if you want some just let me know. You can send me your addy by dmail. I mail out on Monday-Wednesday so they make it before the weekend.

Crit

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.