Garden tours 2010

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We finally got to Bok Tower gardens last Friday on our drive over to Daytona from my Dad's. Dedicated in 1929. The gardens were delightful, the art work was unique, there were vistas of inland Florida, and the tower was just awesome.
The architect was F.L.Olmsted Jr. of Biltmore and Columbian Exposition fame. Bok wanted to preserve the beauty of this mountain and showcase the flora and fauna of Florida. He gathered artist to bring his gardens to fruit in a spectacular way. From the Georgian marble singing tower, (yes, there is a carillon within), to the one of a kind ceramics depicting local creatures large and small you are surrounded by calm and beauty. This one man's vision will be his legacy and an opportunity for generations of enjoyment.I'll include a link to a few of our photos and the tower's homepage.
Enjoy Ric.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/photoPicker/albums.jsp?collid=893258480311&cm_ven=ptnr_kes&cm_pla=web&sourceid=670087587503&cm_ite=uploaded&cm_cat=Droid

This message was edited Oct 11, 2010 5:04 PM

This message was edited Oct 14, 2010 9:27 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Washington Oaks State Park is over 400 acres bordered by the Atlantic on the east and the Matanzas River to the west. The desert like dune scrub gives way to a lush coastal hammock bordered by tidal marshes. The land was owned by General Joseph Hernandez a militia general during the 2nd Seminole War and Florida's 1st delegate to congress. George L. Washington, a distant relative to the president married the generals daughter and purchased the land in 1888. Sold by his heirs it fell into foreclosure and was purchased in 1936 by Louise P. Clark, a very successful business woman, and the future Mrs. Owen D. Young. Young was the Chairmen of the board of GE and the founder of RCA .
The house, gardens, groves and planting we designed and developed by the Youngs and was their winter home till his death in 1962. Louise donated Washington Oaks to the state in 1964 and died in 1965. Washington Oaks Historic District was added to the National Register by the keeper in 2009.
Here's a few pics, enjoy, Ric
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/photoPicker/albums.jsp?collid=893258480311&cm_ven=ptnr_kes&cm_pla=web&sourceid=670087587503&cm_ite=uploaded&cm_cat=Droid

This message was edited Oct 11, 2010 5:05 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

On our visit to Charleston, we didn't win the lottery as far as carriage tour assignments went. We saw the backside of Charleston instead of the battery home and gardens we wanted. So Holly and I just had to go on our own walking tour, playing streets and alleys, peeking in corners and through gateways to see the treasures within. Here's a link to some of what we saw. I want to go back and spend days wondering the alleys of Charleston. LOL Ric

This message was edited Oct 11, 2010 5:04 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.