October blooms

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

With the drought broken, many plants have come alive. With a little warmth and good fortune we all should still have some plants comming into flower. Today I discovered that my Viola odorata 'Rosina' was blooming. Unusual color for a violet, and ooh such a sweet fragrance!

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The New England Asters are beginning to bloom.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

The Bule-stemmed Goldenrod, Solidago caesia is blooming in our front yard. It is my favorite goldenrod, its flowers all along the stem reminding me of Kerria and Forsythia. Here we have it adding interest to some Coleus rooting for next season.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Another flower that I think is under-appreciated is the bloom of the birdhouse gourd, Lagenaria siceraria. I consider its large infloresence as much a reason to grow it as the unique fruit.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well--as I continue my fall clean-up, I cannot but be amazed that after I cut back my Cleomies--
it's lower small shoots have re-grown and are blooming away. Both the purple and the white.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2010 9:08 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The perennial, blue Salvias-that I grew from seed this spring--are also blooming nicely.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And---my first Mum to bloom.
This one is on it's third year--and beautiful. BIG too....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And--the last gasp of blooms on my "Sweet Surrender" Rose....
She is such a keeper!
Have had her for years and years now...Pretty hardy!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Gita, that is a very lovely rose.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

greenthumb. I also found blooms on the New England Aster you gave me at swap. Very nice! I'm happy I kept it watered enough this summer.
Gita, everything just seems committed to bloom for you. You do a great job of planning lots of flowers around your yard.
I have red, and coral, Salvia coccinea (annuals, Forest Fire and Coral Nymph) and Verbena bonariensis, two asters, some cheapo mums that lived from last year, Montauk daisies (scraggly splayed and lacking leaves)Autumn Joy sedum, a split apart butterfly bush
Sorry no pic handy at the moment. But a small area of messy Salvias looks sort of charming with the bright little blooms now.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--
How are ya? Don't hear much from you.....

It is MOI that needs to be committed--all the time I spend fussing about my garden...
I recently bought a 10" pot of some kind of New England Aster that Bell had marked down for $2.97.
It was sort of dead on one side. It is not the tall rambling version--but one that grows about 3' tall.
Consulted someone by D-mail-and she said this one "behaves" well.

It sat around for a long time here--not blooming--but it had buds.
So yesterday, I dug a hole in my "YUK" bed and planted it. That will be this Daisie's home.
It is blooming a bit now--a pretty dark blue...

David--That Rose is amazing! I should post for you a picture of it as it looks in the first
bloom flush in the spring. This rose has so many petals, that sometimes, it has two centers...
It is an old one--long ago out of patent time. The smell is so sweet--just like a Granny's perfume.

Cold this morning! And raining....Slept with my comforter on last night...so comfy!

Gita

Here she is! In May.

edited to move a sentence to it's right place.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2010 9:18 AM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Well, that's a lot of pretty pink for such a red-haired month! I am waiting on my asters (they're big blue ones) but I think they sort of dried a bit in the dry spell. Even the single mum I have is tight-budded still. I'm hoping the cooler weather will trigger blooms this weekend. Even the perennial sunflower isn't all opened yet.

Gita, that's a wonderful rose. Is it fragrant?

I need to get a pic of the beautyberry, though. It's gorgeous!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

This geranium just bloomed for the first time

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Salvia.

Thumbnail by donnerville
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Knock-out rose.

Thumbnail by donnerville
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Lovely red plants from sallyg. I will have to dig into old postings to find its name.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2010 8:37 AM

Thumbnail by donnerville
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We missed most of the fall show here in our garden but was pleasantly surprised to see so much color still showing even if not in the best shape. Many of my flowers are looking a bit old and tattered close up but from a distance they look pretty nice. There are some that are still going strong or were more protected from that last heavy rains. I think my Roses are looking better than they did all summer.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

America

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Heuchera not sure which one.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Arium with some left over impatients and Diamond Frost Euphorbia
Diamond Frost Euphorbia is one of those Premium Annuals you pay big $$ for but it is so worth the cost. Must find a way to grow these myself.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

donnerville. That red thing is an Amaranth. I first got it form Jill and recall her saying she was not sure of the variety. It looks very nice by your Cannas, and much prettier tham mine which are full of beetle hole!.

Holly that Diamond Frost is very pretty. I like the fine texture.

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Sallyg, does the Amaranth reseed itself? If I collect seeds from this plant, how do I know when the seeds are ready? I would love to have more of this plant next year.

Very pretty roses, Holly. My Heuchera plants have the tendency of growing smaller and eventually disappearing all together. LOL.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

donner---

Amaranths have thousands of seeds that drop freely. They are the size of Poppy Seeds.
One can hardly avoid having some dropping as you touch the plant.
They are just as pestiferous as Celosias in self-seeding...

Unless you dig up the soil--or otherwise greatly disturb it--you should have self-seeders next year.

The Amaranth I had--the bloom spikes were droopy and not as rigid and upright.

Gita

Gita got it all right on the Amaranth. I even think they are a close cousin to Celosia. If you want to save seeds in a bag, then cut off a bloom stalk, they are so big that whenever you decide to cut it I'm pretty sure many will be ready. Put the whole thing in a loose bag and let it dry. You should get lots of poppy-seed like seeds in the bag at some time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.