OK, I'm BEGGING for seeds :-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the tip about winter sowing. Are the swaps you spoke about on the Hibiscus forum or the trade forum? We've had such dreadful weather this year that all I have to swap are my H.m. 'Luna Pink Swirl' seeds and maybe a few other things I've collected. Not a lot.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

The unusual seed swap is listed in the seed trading forum. I think it is still open. The piggy swap was retitled "hog wild" and moved to another site.

Last year was my first year trading seeds and winter sowing seeds. Both were great successes! The bf accused me of "terminal seed hoarding." I think he watches the discovery channel too much.

The wintersowing forum on this site is very helpful if you want to try it. It is perfect for me because I don't have much room inside for light shelves. I set up a shelf which is already filling up with my indoor/outdoor plants such as my tropical hibiscus.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL ... yeah, too much Discovery Channel. Thanks for the info. I'm checking it all out. There is so much on DG that it takes a traffic cop to point you in the right direction sometimes. :-)

Rushville, IN(Zone 5b)

Carole I have some hardy yellow hibiscus seed will send you some
sissy70--judy

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks so much, Judy. I've not seen the yellow ones. Im excited! I'll Dmail you my address.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

sissy hardy yellow?? didn't know they had yellow

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

have hisbiscus moscheuto Lord Baltimore. are you interested?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Definitely. Someone just send me 'Lady Baltimore' and now I have Lord B too. I'll Dmail you.

Rosemount, MN(Zone 4b)

Carole I received your seeds as well! Thanks for the trade! How does one winter sow Hardy Hibiscus and in what month? My soil is so darn clay - I would probably have to prepare the spot for them right now.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I have a tip for an easier way to remove grass. This summer, I extended my flower bed to the sidewalk because I was tired of picking up after the neighbors dogs every day before starting to garden. I learned it on this site. Put down newspapers or brown paper bags over the grass. Leave it for a while - at least 2 weeks. The grass will die and break down. It will be much easier to remove. You could also do "lasagna gardening. It involves putting down cardboard and covering it with leaves/grass clippings. I haven't tried that, but other people rave about it. An internet search on "lasagna gardening" will give you lots of info. There may even be a forum here.

Rosemount, MN(Zone 4b)

I have had that same grass removal discussion. My friends are worried about my back I guess when I use the sod cutter. 2 weeks huh? That would be a breeze.

Rosemount, MN(Zone 4b)

I looked up winter sowing seeds. I think I will give it a try on my patio this January.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2010 5:38 AM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I've done lasagna gardening. In fact, I have a grass area with layers of newspaper and cardboard on it of it right now. It works well. I've had mine down a couple of weeks and most of the grass is dead or dying. I'll add more "stuff" to it as time goes along (mulch, clippings, top soil) but it should be nice and ready by Spring. We've had no rain for months so that is hampering things but it still works. :-)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

kobwebz -- 'Lord Baltimore' seeds arrived safely today. Thank you so much! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.