What about D. filiformis

Arlington, TX

This plant just showed up in this pot, several months after I planted it. Must have been a dormant seed in one of the Home Depot plants that I put into this pot. He is flowering and I am wondering, how winter hardy is this species? I know they grow in FL but it's colder here in North TX.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

Zone 6-9 definately includes me, thanks for the link. Hope he makes it until next spring when I can seperate out all the crowded plants I have. I really hope the seeds are viable, would be pretty cool to have more of those plants just show up next season.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Sure looks like D. filiformis to me. Lucky you. When it gets cold it will die down to a hibernaculum. It is a dormant resting bud. Keep it with the other temperate plants like the Sarracenia, which by the way, are gorgeous.

In the spring, it will grow back. If you don't get seeds, it is super easy to get extra plants.

1.) Take one leaf, cut it into 2" pieces.
2.) Lay them on regular CP soil, tentacal side up, and secure the ends with a tiny bit of soil.
3.) Then put a piece of saran wrap over the pot and keep it mosit like any other CP. In a couple weeks, plantlets will form on the leaf.

You might try a root cutting too, but this plant seems a little small to attempt a root cutting.

Nice find. Wait til you find a D. filiformis Tracyi. It is huge and sticky.

Arlington, TX

Yes, its still a baby so no cutting it up quite yet. I might have to order one of those. I have killed so many drosera indoors and here is one I didn't buy and its happy without my help!
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

It will lose its leaves in the winter. You can always try cutting the leaf just before the leaves die off.

The Drosera filiformis thrive outside. Through the freezes and super high temps. A real trooper as long as you keep it wet.

Arlington, TX

should I keep the leaves/plants inside this winter? I can take a few leaves and put them under grow lights for the winter.
C

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I would use one leaf to try to make planetlets, and then I would leave the paretns plant outside to go dormant for the health of the plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.